“Great location”

Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square
Ranked #180 of 859 Hotels in Bangkok

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (474)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Fabulous location!! Across the road from train station and huge shopping centre excellent food court and restaurants IMAX and aquarium. MBK shopping centre is also with in walking distance. The facilities at the Novotel are great nicely decorated and furnished. Breakfast and dinner 1st class. Now for the BUT! The big thing that let's this hotel down is the customer service and the lack of English!!! I am an Accor member for a few yrs now and have had much better experiences with novotels elsewhere. I was travelling with partner and 2 kids 10yrs and 4yrs. We booked the junior suite with premium lounge access etc. we arrived 12am (thereabouts) after a horrible flight my lil 1 was extremely unwell. Vomiting all trip including whilst waiting for checkin. Got to our room only 1 bed 2 towels and no sofa bed. Last thing I needed! Quickly fixed and housekeeping (which are very helpful but cannot speak English). Next morning my daughter was still sick so I called reception and asked for a dr to visit (5000bht) dr came quickly however I had to phone him not once did they call and check she was ok or bring up the dr at least and introduce him. Received no information on checkin ( because my lil 1 was sick I thought) so I assumed I would be briefed a lil the next day on where things were and where I could access my included benefits (cocktails etc) I went to the lobby bar and could not get an answer from the bar staff ( no English ) so I went to reception who told me to go back over and show my advantage plus card. So I did and ordered 2 drinks followed by another 2 for myself and partner ( included in deal ) then I was given a bill for over 1500baht I tried to explain it was included but again no English!! Went back to the reception and they couldn't understand either apparently!!! Very unimpressed tried again the next night with reception staff then informed it was a different bar I was supposed to go to however now it was to late!!! Went to pattaya after 3 days stayed at the Centara grand Mirage fantastic!!! Returned 4 days later for another overnight stay again 1 bed 2 towels. Called recipe toon 3 times it was 11.05pm before the housekeeping came with soaps and water!!! Was sent back and had to wait again till they returned with the bed FINALLY!! Overall the customer service is terrible and the English standard is not good. The lady on the tour desk had 3 brochures and had no interest in looking up anything else we were asking about just told us everything was "very far" or "not sure" very frustrating stay.

Room Tip: State in email before hand you would like a rollaway plus the sofa made up if you are travelling wit...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
QMR, General Manager at Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
Dear holidayaddicted2012,
Thank you for taking the time to comment your recent visits. While I am pleased to note that you enjoyed our room, facilities, breakfast and convenient location, I am extremely disappointed that we dropped the ball with several lapses in service. English skills do not excuse poor service, and I hope that you will accept my sincere apology. I have immediately reviewed your candid comments with the teams involved in an effort to improve. Despite falling short on this occasion, I do hope that we will have the opportunity to win back your confidence one day. I thank you for your candor, and for your patience throughout.
Kind Regards,
Asia
Reviewed November 19, 2013

This is my hotel of choice when I am in Bangkok on business and I can choose. It's well located--near shopping malls, away from the main road, yet close to the BTS. It's a five-star hotel, meaning that it's got the facilities for business. There is a decent pool and a gym and a business centre and a lounge for those in the premier floors.

I note also that the hotel has been renovated since I visited. The most modern part is the bathroom. Instead of a wall, there is a glass between the shower area and the room. That glass partition can be frosted or made clear through the flip of a switch marked "privacy" in the shower area. Cool.

(I booked a premier room and I'm not sure if this feature is only available to that class of rooms.)

The wc is in a smaller separate niche with a door. The sink area seems a bit tight for two but I was single so it was fine for me. Water pressure was good.

I had made a remark about the condoms being available. Well, I noticed that it was more discreetly tucked away this time. That's being appropriately sensitive.

Things worked. The mini-bar looked pretty well stocked.

A colleague flew in earlier and he was allowed to check in before the usual time at no extra charge. That just seems sensible to me and I don't know why hotels do not do it more often. In my colleague's case, he ended up snacking on the mini-bar before crashing.

The breakfast is good indeed. Although it is a business hotel, it is also used by holiday makers. If you can, book the premier room to use the premier lounge for some peace and quiet. Although when I was there, some kids were being allowed to run around.

Now the downside: service is surprisingly spotty. In my case, I was completely befuddled by the two restaurants. I returned one day mid-day to get something and decided to have a quick bite. The Square restaurant said there was no room for me even though I was one and I could see that there were empty places. So I went to the Chinese restaurant--where it took 15 minutes for the menu to arrive and then 10 minutes to take my order. I upped and walked.

Having said that, on my final day, as I was checking out, I had a drink at the lounge. Everything went well.

Given the location, I'll consider this place on my next trip, likely to be July. But I'll definitely watch the reviews and skip the restaurants.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Panguin,
Thank you for your continued support in choosing Novotel Siam Square once again. It is always a pleasure to welcome you, and your candid feedback is appreciated. While I am happy that we remain your preferred address in Bangkok, I don't take that sentiment for granted. I am sorry to learn about our poor hospitality in the restaurants and apologize for our poor performance. Please rest assured that our Director of Food and Beverage is well informed and will take necessary corrective actions to improve the service. Despite falling short this time, we hope to have a opportunity serve you again and we may win back your confidence.
Kind Regards,
Colorado City, Colorado
Reviewed November 18, 2013

0 out of 5 stars!!! I had for a long time wanted to stay at the Novotel in Bangkok. I had seen beautiful pictures and assumed that the service would be exceptional. However, I was sadly wrong. I stayed there this year for about 4 nights. I had accidentally left some cash in my bag when I went out for the day. When I returned, I realized my mistake and checked the cash. I was sad to find that $300 USD was missing. I contacted the staff immediately. I was not expecting to necessarily get the cash back, but I expected a first class response from the staff. At first they seemed very concerned and took down many details including my email and phone number. I was told that they would check room access records and investigate the matter thoroughly. I left with no information other than the promise that they would follow up. A few days passed and nothing, not even and email. I contacted the manager by email and got no reply. I then called the hotel and did not get any information. I emailed one more time and still received no response. I find this totally unacceptable. It seems to me that Novotel's service is only good if everything is going ok. However, a good hotel will have good service in the bad situations, not just when things go right. It is a mark of a good hotel when they can handle issues and problems. I cannot believe that they cannot even reply to a direct request for a follow up. I will NEVER stay at this hotel nor any Novotel chain hotel. I was a huge fan based on a false reputation but am now aware that this hotel cannot even follow through on a simple matter. So sad...

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gg K
QMR, General Manager at Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Gg K,
Thank you for taking the time to reflect upon your stay.It is with regret that I note your great disappointment with our service, though I certainly understand your frustration. I sincerely apologize for our failure to communicate in a timely manner, which made an already difficult situation even worse. I thank you for alerting me to our poor performance, as I am embarrassed that instead of being proactive and timely, you were forced to contact us. This is certainly not a standard of service which I condone, and I assure you is not representative of the entire Novotel brand. I will be in touch directly, in hopes of restoring your faith in Accor, and Novotel hotels worldwide.