“Unbeatable location with value for money.”

Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square
Ranked #176 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
“Unbeatable location with value for money.”
Reviewed December 30, 2012 via mobile

Location, location, location! This hotel is unbeatable if you are here for food and shopping. Within walking distance of all major shopping centres (mbk, siam paragon, central world). Make sure you check out the night market for some bargains.

Staffs are very friendly with clean rooms though the sink and bathtube shower needs an upgrade. Buffet breakfast was great with a wide spread of choices, though it can be quite a wait to get in around 8:30 onwards.

Overall we would definitely come back and would recommend this hotel to all our friends and family.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Eatshoprelax
QMR, Resident Manager at Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear Eatshoprelax,
I am delighted to know that you had a pleasant stay and enjoyed our products and services. Thank you for both your positive and constructive comments, in particular those concerning the bathroom facilities. Please rest assured that we will do the necessary improvements to ensure the quality of our products. We look forward to welcoming you again soon.
Resident Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (485)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
  • Vietnamese first
Orcheta, Spain
Reviewed December 28, 2012

I used to stay here a few years ago because of the location. It is now showing signs of being outdated. I missed my first night due to visa delays in Russia. My second night I arrived at 3am in the morning and left the Hotel at 7.30am to go golfing 2 hours north of Bangkok. On my final morning I requested to check out at 2pm as I was playing golf at a local course. The only way to extend the room for 2 hours was to let them charge me 50% of the room rate of 4,500 Thb a night. I did not think it was worth it so decided to cut my golf game down and be back for 12 noon. It put the dampeners on the whole stay! Will not stay there again there are better hotels in the area for same or less price.

Room Tip: Breakfast not worth the additional 750 Thb
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Lazinspain,
Thank you for your taking the moment to let us know how you felt during your recent stay with us and I am sorry that we could not grant your request for late a check-out. Please be assured that we make every effort to accommodate guest requests, but at times of high occupancy we may not be able to meet requests. It is regretful that you have chosen not to return.
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2012

We stayed 4 nights from Dec 21 to 25, 2012. The hotel location is superb, being within walking distance of the major shopping centres, restaurants and the skytrain station. Hotel service ranges from good to excellent but unfortunately, the furnishings and fixtures in the rooms are dated. The room carpet looks tired and the bathroom's bathtub, shower fixtures and tiles are downright shabby. The breadfast buffet spread is of limited range, boring and lacks quality. You get the impression that the hotel's owners/management are not too concerned about the hotel's upkeep and image.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank SingaporePKT
Dear SingaporePKT,
I kindly thank you for your review and for bringing these matters to our attention. Your constructive comments and concerns are taken very seriously and please rest assured that we will do the necessary to improve our products to meet the discerning needs of guests like yourself. Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to serving you again.
Singapore
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Having written two previous reviews on this hotel and knowing what to expect, I booked with confidence only to be shot down by an email reply that neither answered my questions nor my requests. As I was going to stay in Bangkok for 8 nights, I thought I should just stay in the familiar and convenient 4-star Novotel on Siam Square for 4 nights and the next 4 nights at a newer 5-star hotel two to three BTS stations away.

So my review would be based on my comparison with the other hotel - Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit.

To be fair, I decided to book both hotels way ahead of my trip and took the trouble to write to the hotels about my requirements. And to write a fairer comparison, I would book Club rooms in both hotels so that I can make a better comparison.

I stayed at Novotel on Siam Square earlier this month (I checked in on 2nd December and checked out on 6th December) in Bangkok.

When I emailed the hotel to make my requests known (I do so to avoid the type of unpleasant incidents experienced by other Tripadvisor reviewers who were guests in this hotel). I booked two Junior suites and requested that the suites be near each other. As I would be checking in early (i always take an early flight into Bangkok because I want to visit the Wat early), I thought it would be fair for me to inform the hotel and let them know that I have an Accor Advantage Gold card. I have read in Tripadvisor that Novotel would honor the privileges accorded to Gold card members. We are supposed to get some form of upgrade and late check-out.

In my earlier trip, my room was upgraded to a corner room. It is not that I would demand an upgrade but I wanted the trip to be a pleasant one since I would be taking my daughter there and she would be celebrating her birthday in Bangkok. The hotel knows about this.

It is with regret that I received an email with a reply that appeared to have been cut and pasted from somewhere and it neither made sense nor answered my queries.

I had to email again before I was assured that I would be given an upgrade for the card I am holding and a sentence that reads "Look forward to welcome your family to Novotel Bangkok on Siam Square with the special occasion to celebrate your daughter birthday". While I do not expect a birthday bash, I was secretly confident that the hotel would make this trip pleasant.

Suites on Level 16
==============

My request for an extra bed was granted. In fact, I was given TWO! My children were elated as they would each get a bed and there was not need to share the Queen size bed in the room. This corner suite even has a tiny walk-in wardrobe.

As we had checked in early, I was alright when I was told that my other room was still not ready. Well, it is fair, I thought.

So long as I had a room to keep some of our belongings, I was alright with it and, after staying in the first suite briefly, we left the hotel and went to pay our respects at the Erawan Shrine.

We returned in the afternoon. It was already 3.30 p.m. local time. And our other suite was not even ready yet!

This was the first time such a thing had happened to me in Novotel on Siam Square. It had been 5 hours since I had arrived. Still, I think I should not be upset. Never mind, I said. I hoped that this was the exception other than the norm.

I was finally given the key to my room at 4p.m. The suite was a tad smaller than the first one - with no walk-in wardrobe and no weighing scale. I am okay with that. Never mind again.

Toilet
====

As with all upgraded Novotels, they look the same in terms of size and amenities. This time round, they did not even include the body scrub that I had come to expect. It was never replenished once during my 4-day stay. Well, never mind.

The Club Lounge
==============

The reason why I would always return to Novotel on Siam Square must be its Club Lounge.
Nothing has changed since my last visit and I am not sure if everyone who entered the lounge had club privileges especially those who entered to get a drink during the off-peak periods when there wasn't even a receptionist at the desk near the door.

What I liked about the lounge is its free-flow of drinks. You are free to pick what you like and drink as much as you like. There are no strict rules and orders and you eat and drink until you are happy,

Because of its location at the lobby, the lounge does not have the exclusive feel. And you do not even need the room card to enter it.

The receptionists are friendly and helpful without appearing fake. I asked about the temple where I could go to make a donation of a coffin to the desolate and poor and the address was passed to me politely on a hotel card.

I believe the hotels normally put their better-trained employees to serve guests on the club floors. So my recent experience with Novotel on Siam Square might differ from the experience of the other Tripadvisor reviewers.

HITS
====

Checking-in was a breeze. We were even invited to have breakfast while the receptionists handled the paper work. That's sweet of them. As breakfast was closing, we took a drink while we rested on the comfy coaches.

The Rooms Division Manager, Ms Sumontha Urvois, took the trouble to meet and welcome us to the hotel. That is the right move in the right direction. When the experience is pleasant, one can only write niceties about you and your hotel.

MISSES - The Frightening Square
===========================

I never had a very pleasant impression of the Square (Siam and Ploenchit alike) but I told my family members that we would dine there for breakfast on 3rd December 2012. It was a bad decision.

That breakfast was a thorough disaster.

After telling a staff member our room numbers, we were ushered to a table for 6 (there were 5 of us and the table comprised of 3 small rectangular tables joined together) and we were politely asked to help ourselves to the food. Upon our return with our food, the manager, Miss Hathaichanok Uppahat, had just showed two other house guests to the table assigned to us. They were two of them and they were occupying a table for 6!

With food on my plate, I tried to approach Ms Uppahat and inform her that that was our table, she turned nasty and said the other two house guests had arrived before us. They had just sat down and we were with our plates of food. It was not logical but I was not going to argue with her. Well, never mind.

Not wanting to spoil my holiday, I made the mistake by asking her if she could then give us another table. She replied curtly, "I will FLY to you when I put this down." Then she marched off with what looked like a piece of paper in her hand.

Even if it had been a bad morning for her, she should not take it out on the diners.

Having successfully spoilt my breakfast (and my day), I asked for her name. It was difficult for a non-Thai native to catch a name with multiple syllables and when I asked if there was a shorter form, she glared at me. (The Thais I know often call themselves by a shorter version of their names and I wasn't being rude.) If her stares could kill, I would have been dead by then. So I asked for her card instead and waited while she attended to another staff member who had broken some dishes.

Having taken her card a moment later, we left the Square as we had decided not to continue with our breakfast. Our holiday had started on a wrong footing.

Miss Uppahat then came out of the Square and approached me at the lift. This time, her attitude was different and she told me she could offer me a free breakfast at the lounge.

I told her I was aware of it. I paid for club benefits. (The breakfast wasn't free!) The reason why I would eat at the Square was because there was a slightly better spread but not for this kind of manners and experience.

When she asked me why my family and I did not continue eating, I thought the reason was obvious. She had killed our appetite.

She wanted to pay for our lunch but because we were there for holiday and not for a free meal, I promised to return the next morning for breakfast (I was taking a risk).

Breakfast the next morning was more regular. We were not given any special treatment. No one was especially nice to us. We did not expect special treatment in the first place but let's face it, we were there for a holiday and not to look for or create trouble. And we were at the table first. If only the coffee cups on the table could talk.

Why wasn't Ms Uppahat trained to look at the table cloth or cups? Wasn't she aware that she should not raise her voice in the restaurant when the guests was not even angry with her (and he was holding a plate full of food)? Thais are known to be courteous so what happened to her, I wonder. But I am ready to forgive her. Never mind.

MISSES - LOK WAH HIN CHINESE RESTAURANT
=======================================

Because it was my daughter's birthday, we decided to dine at the Chinese restaurant next to the frightening Square.

There was only one other table that was occupied when we entered. And subsequently two other groups of diners patronized the eatery.

This was another disappointing experience. The fish we ordered did not arrive and we were told it would half an hour after all our other dishes were served and eaten.

We waited.

Half and hour later, the fish still did not turn up. So, I queried about my order. 5 minutes later, the waiter came out announcing that the fish would be ready in 5 minutes.

10 minutes later, the steamed fish finally arrived. We had already finished our dinner but fret not, we could still eat the fish.

I tried to serve the fish and guess what? It was not cooked. The flesh was raw and still stuck to the bones. I had to cancel my order.

I cannot imagine what would happen when the restaurant is full. But the miserable 4 occupied tables explain my experience.

The food, quality, taste and service at this restaurant pales in comparison with a random restaurant in Yaowarat where I had eaten the day before.

Broken Promise
=============

Not that we are desperate for it, the hotel knew that my daughter was celebrating her birthday during her stay, yet no attempt was made to make it memorable. For this, Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit wins hands down. Sofitel got their chef to make my daughter a special belated birthday cake. Novotel on Siam Square could not even afford a card or get a receptionist to say happy birthday! I am not sure if it is because the hotels are of two different grading (4 versus 5) but I think it boils down to training in hospitality and attitude.

We were not desperate for a cake or balloons but some attempt by the Hotel would have made that difference. Imagine what I could have written about the Novotel on Siam Square otherwise!

It certainly would not take the hotel a lot of effort but the hotel chose to make no effort at all. :)

The disastrous dinning experience at Lok Wah Hin in the evening did not make it any better.

Breakfast
========

We had breakfast on all the other mornings in the Premier Lounge.

The spread was really limited but the seats were more comfortable and there was free flow of drinks - Novotel wins hands down on this.

One GREAT thing about the staff in the Premier Lounge is that they do not make a face when you eat and drink as much as you want. They merely replenish the food and drinks. They are not afraid that you would actually eat and drink. They know they are in the hospitality business, I am sure.

And I like their attitude. And, yes, the eggs come with a piece of harsh brown and a tomato halved.

If the lady who replied to my email requests (I think she is the secretary to the General Manager) shared the same kind of mindset with the receptionists in the Premier Lounge, I for one would definitely return to Novotel on Siam Square even if there is a brand new 5-star hotel sitting right next to it.

If...

Environment
==========

With Siam BTS just outside the hotel, and the wonderful street stalls in the morning, afternoon and evening (different vendors hawk different goods during different times of the day), Novotel on Siam Square is the best choice in terms of location.

The street stalls do not display embarrassing merchandise so it is family-friendly.

One can just make a trip back to the hotel room after a day of shopping either at MBK or Siam Paragon. You save time and you save on transport.

Because Ibis Siam and Mercure Siam have already opened (they are diagonally opposite Novotel and directly opposite MBK), I hope that staff in Novotel on Siam Square can get its act together and bring the hotel to a greater height.

It seems to be deteriorating in some aspects.

The hotel has aged despite his recent minor renovations. If the hotel staff do not know what it takes to retain the guests, they can only keep these loyal guests from returning.

Members pay to become Accor Members. Hotel staff members must remember this. It is better to have loyal members who keep returning to your hotel or chain and give you business or you will lose them to the other hotels and chains. Bangkok is not short of hotels.

After I had booked a suite, I was told by the staff I emailed to that she has upgraded me to a suite. I was baffled and was at a loss for words. I booked a suite and paid for it with real money. How was it that it was because I am a Accor Gold member and she has upgraded me thatI was given a suite room.

Yes, I am a Accor Gold member.

No, I was not given any upgrade that she may think she has. The reason is I booked a junior suite. If I am being upgraded, I would be given an executive suite right? But I still got a junior suite. So there was no 'upgrade' in any way that I am aware of.

So, please do not tell me you have upgraded me to a junior suite when I have paid for it.

WI FI
====

I give credit to the hotel for trying to improve the Wifi signal in my room. Despite their efforts, the signals were weak and we get disconnected too many times. A Dtac tourist card can solve the problem more easily. (The gentleman who fixed the router in our room didn't look very pleased with us. But, never mind.)

AIR-CON
=======

Miraculously, the room was sufficiently chilled this time. I am truly impressed. I hope the next room I am given will be as cool.

(When I left Novotel after my 4 nights to stay at Sofitel Bangkok Sukumvit, the hotel told the cab driver the wrong hotel and I was driven to The Grand Sukumvit instead. Upon reaching Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit some 45 minutes later, the driver demanded 300 Baht! The two hotels are just 2-3 BTS stations apart!).

Would I go back to Novotel on Siam Square? I am definitely going back to Bangkok. As for the hotel, well, I have this to say:

I am familiar with this hotel, I like its location, I know the staff, I love the environment but I also have my reservations - the Square and whether the hotel values my loyalty.

And should I do, I would write yet another review. Here.

Room Tip: The Premier Lounge is comfortable and nice. The suite rooms come with DVD players. Opt for the upg...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank prestontan
Dear Prestontan,
Thank you for choosing to stay with us once again on your recent visit to Bangkok and regret that we did not meet your full expectation during this last visit. I was extremely disappointed to learn of our poor performance, but appreciate the detailed comments you provided. I hope that you will accept my apology for the disappointment and inconvenience you and your family experienced. We have reviewed all your constructive comments concerning quality of products and services, while I have also followed up on the birthday arrangement with front office teams for their improvement. Once again, we very much value your continuous support and are thankful for your valuable comments. We look forward to providing you with a better experience in the future.
sydney
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The place is fine but WiFi is terrible; can't stay there again as I need good WiFi for work. Can someone from this hotel who has read this PLEASE do something about it??? The place is otherwise suitable for my needs. Thanks

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear johnl2000,
Please accept my sincere apology for the poor Internet connection and note that we are taking this problem seriously; we are currently enhancing the connectivity through the installation of new router. We hope that you will experience an improvement on your future stay.