“Ants are all around!”

Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune
Ranked #132 of 893 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed December 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel one week in June2012. I have stayed at this hotel for many times, no matter for business or leisure. However, this time made me shock because there were so many ants in my room. I informed the staff at once and he wanted to use spray to kill them. I think it is meaningless as the ants must had a den somewhere inside my room. So I request to change the room and they did it. I was moved to another floor and its look ok, And then, I found one, two and three ants getting around......later many ants. Even the sink inside the bathroom has it. Sometimes, I can found it on my bed. Its so disgusting! Finally, I gave up to request to change my room because it seems that the ants exist on many floors. That's why I had changed to another room still found it. I cannot leave any foods inside my room and need to hang on somethings to upper level. Its ridiculous to do it in a hotel! I hope the hotel concern to this problem and ask for the specialist to destroy the dens completely. It is unacceptable for a hotel likes that. hygiene is very important for hotel. It was really a nightmare for me to stay one week in this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
GeneralManager-GMFB, General Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear betung, Thank you for being one of our regulars. The migrant might have occurred due to renovation works or a fresh delivery of plants as it has not been a problem in the past. We have called in a pest control specialist to address the source of it. Hygiene is definitely among our priorities that leave no room for compromise. Meantime, kindly accept our sincere apologies for your unpleasant experience. Look forward to welcoming you and your family back. Stanley Chan/General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,107)

Reviewed November 22, 2012

My kids just loved to stay at this hotel! First class, I would say - as you entered the premises, you are pampered with drinks and cookies! Service was just fantastic and we didn't feel that the hotel was under a major renovation. The subway stations were within walking distance from HGMF. The breakfast was just sumptious!

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
QualityManager-GMFB, Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this reviewResponded November 23, 2012

Dear Mr Yeo, Thank you for your kind words. Pleased to learn of your delightful stay. A good motivation for me and my team to overcome the challenge as we put up our efforts in upgrading our product for a better guest experience. Hope to welcoming you and your family back soon. Stan/Quality Manager

Reviewed November 10, 2012

Stayed in the hotel in October 2012 and was shocked that it was under renovations. I was not informed that a major renovation current going on - it was not stated in the website nor was I informed when I called to confirm my reservations. Reception was at a make shift area near the adjacent mall.

As I had arrived at midnight, couldn't change to one of Bangkok's many other hotels. We were assigned a standard room which was spacious and clean. They couldn't upgrade me despite being a LeClub Platinum members, as only one type of room is available due to the renovations.
Bed was comfortable, although the electrical plug points wasn't working all the time.

I put a do-not-disturb sign as we were very tired from the flight and was waken at 8am on a Saturday morning by very loud drilling sound!

I called and asked for a refund as I couldn't sleep at all - but decided not to, as the staff sounded like he's going to get a heart attack.

We had a late night out on Saturday, returned to the hotel at 4am and guess what - the drilling started again at 8am on a SUNDAY morning!

Generally regretted the stay, despite the staff trying their best to accommodate my many requests.

Pros: Friendly, well trained staff. Excellent location next to a mall (the mall across the road was larger and much nicer!) and subway.

Cons: NOISY renovations. DO NOT STAY until they complete their renovations.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY until renovations over - early 2013
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank WilliamNg111

Dear WilliamNg111
Thank you for sharing your unpleasant experience and concern. The hotel would like to offer you our sincere apologizes for having our construction work off guarded during your stay. Please be rest assured that all works with possible disturbance be scheduled between 9am to 6pm or weekend 10am to 6pm. This will be further monitored by our Duty Manager and Security personnel. Our General Manager would like to convey his sincere apology to you, honor you as a Le Club Platinum member and extend to you his personal invitation for a return stay on our renewed product. He shall be delighted to be in touch. If our guests do not have a good sleep, neither will we. Stan/Quality.Manager@grandmercurefortunebkk.com

Reviewed November 7, 2012

When you book this hotel, just bear in mind that they are going under a major renovation; the main entrance has been moved (so your taxi driver may take you to a dead end of the parking and then realize the entrance he used to know is closed), half of the hotel rooms are not available because of the refurbishment. This being said, if it wasn't for the initial shock, I would not realize the hotel is under renovation. The staff is very friendly and very helpful; I was a bit earlier than the regular check-in time and the lady at the reception kindly asked me if I preferred to wait for a non-smoking room or if I was ok with a smoking room which was available immediately, given my preference for non-smoking. I was quite tired due to the long trip, so I opted not to wait and get the smoking room, but I immediately realized that it was too smoky for me (I am a non-smoker). I then called the lobby and they immediately made the non-smoking room available for me - quite impressed by the efficiency and the friendliness of all the staff that I thought I should mention this on my review.
The room was clean enough, the bathroom spacious enough. The hotel is very conveniently located next to a shopping mall (IT mall) and 100 m away from another, bigger mall. The metro station is 1 minute waling distance, so this is the perfect hotel overall. I believe that after the full refurbishment is complete, the hotel would be even better! Definitely going back there!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
QualityManager-GMFB, Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this reviewResponded November 8, 2012

Dear Gerry1582, Thank you for being our guests and recommended our hotel. Indeed, it's convenient of being in town with direct access to 2 shopping malls. Proximity to airport, expressway and city train at doorsteps are the plus. Our true value infact is the friendly staff as you have highlighted. Some renewed rooms are gradually coming back but a refreshing frontage and lobby, per schedule be revealed in Jan. Look forward to be of service to you again! Stan/Quality Manager

Reviewed October 15, 2012

This hotel is not exactly new, however it is considered well maintained, clean and tidy. Breakfast is fine, staff are friendly, there is free wifi at the lobby area. Rooms are ok, it comes with an old big box TV. Perfect location as it is walking distance to the Rama 9 BTR station. It is linked to Fortune Town mall and in it there's a supermarket as well as restaurants. Opposite the hotel, there is another mall, Central Plaza Grand Rama 9. This mall is awesome as it has my favourite NARAYA shop. Fans of quilted bags and such, don't miss it!

Room Tip: Ask for the new rooms as the old ones looks a bit too dim to my liking.....
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
QualityManager-GMFB, Manager at Grand Mercure Bangkok Fortune, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2012

Dear Stephanielenalee, Thank you for your appreciation of our breakfast, product, service and location with the convenient access to 2 shopping malls and city train. We are in process of replacing some 200 renovated rooms with LED TVs. Look forward to welcoming you back soon! Stan/Quality Manager

Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed here several times with family and friends through 2010 and 2011. We always chose the 'executive floor' for the private check-in and out, larger rooms and private breakfast area. The slightly higher room cost is easily justified by the extras, including free internet.
The Chinese restaurant on the mezzanine floor is terrific and the serving staff excellent. We visit the restaurant even when we don't stay in the hotel. There is also a very nice coffee shop and bakery next to reception worth a try.
We noticed that the hotel is now undergoing refurbishment (October 2012) and look forward to seeing its renaissance soon.

Room Tip: Any room on the executive floor.
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple

Dear meowf, Thank you for being our loyal guests of our Club Prestige floors with super added value at minimum marginal rate supplement. Our Chinese culinary team infact has been awarded by our late Prime Minister Samak over a national contest. Our Gf coffee shop upon completion late Jan will feature an interactive show kitchen with a pizza oven with in/outdoor seating options. Hope to seeing you, your family and friends around! Stan/Quality Manager

Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hotel was nice, even while it was under massive renovation. The location is perfect that it is right outside of the crazy jam area and is right next to two large malls. MRT station is just 100m away. The staff were nice too especially "Wanlapa" who was very attentive to details.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business

Dear s t, Our colleagues are briefed to take extra care to our guests especially when our renovation though means well but has brought along some inconvenience. We thank you for the understanding. Your kind words will be passed onto our colleague k. Wanlapa. Stan/Quality Manager