1,534 results
All reviewscentral worldploenchit roadnorth wingihg memberpriority clubamarin plazasky walkchit lom bts stationerawan shrinelobby barmajor mallsexcellent locationwalking distancethai restaurantbig cshopping districtsky train station
Reviewed November 28, 2007

The Holiday Inn Bangkok is truly the perfect choice for budget-concerned travellers who put convenience and comfort first on their list. Location was great, only a few steps away to the Chidlom BTS station and 15 mins walk to Siam Square where you can find a series of expansive shopping centres. The room was quite ordinary for me, however it was clean and tidy, good value for money. There was no bathtub in the room I stayed in, but still it was a sizable bathroom. Breakfast was excellent, with a lot to choose from. Service was also excellent, no problems there. The most memorable part was the excellent location which enabled my husband and I to travel by ourselves to suburbs outside the city area - thanks to the well-planned BTS and MRT systems. The only downside was the bed - it was hard and we could feel the bed springs against our backs, the pillows were too soft - but they did make up for these by providing an overlay for the mattress and a pillow menu.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Citygirl777
Reviewed November 10, 2007

I have stayed in several hotels in Bangkok and for me, this is the smallest hotel I have ever stayed in, in Bangkok. I like big rooms, U see.The rooms are really tiny but they have a nice , modern and big bathroom though. The room is the cleanest I have ever stayed in, in Bangkok. They have a pillow service which I loved. Guests get to choose the type of pillows they want to sleep in on top of regular pillows. But this is extra service and you got to request for it.

The food at the thai restaurant is excellent. They did a mean thai fare. The tom yam and beef noodles are the best I have ever eaten. Being a very discerning eater, I am most particular about food. And when I say it is the best, it is really good and nothing tops it. The Japanese restaurant at the sister hotel, Hotel Intercontinental is good as well. I had top grade Kobe beef. Service is good and they have a Japanese chef and Japanese staff serving us. So it is pretty authentic. But is it the best I have ever eaten? Nope. The best are in Japan.

They have a excellent tour desk. I asked for the River Kwai Adventure (Kanchanaburi) package and that includes lunch, visit to war museum, war cemetary, elephant rides, bamboo rafting and a ride through history on the Death Railway train passing through lush scenary. I was picked up and dropped at the hotel and its hassle free.

I also asked for the tour desk to arrange for us to watch the musical Niramit Thai and it is pretty interesting really.

There are really many things to do besides shopping, eating, visiting the bars and night markets. Thailand has such a long history and is so rich in culture that I can never get enough of it.
For those with big budgets, one can go to the opulent Oriental Bangkok to sip cocktails and watch the world go by, or in my case, I literally massuage myself to death by indulging in massuages everyday sometimes up to 2 times a day.

• Stayed: December 2006, traveled with friends
1  Thank NEMISIS
Reviewed November 7, 2007

We chose this room due to the very good reviews on TA. In general, I have mixed feelings about this hotel and would likely stay elsewhere next time. Overall, I would stay here only if you don't spend much time in the room (which may be the case for most tourists).

The hotel indeed has a great location - quick hop onto BTS and onto the skywalk bridge that takes you down to Siam Center (Siam Center is about 10-15 mins walk away depending on your pace). The nearby Central World mall provides a wide range of eating joints, but most importantly little extras for munching and eating in your room after a busy day. The view that we had from our room was mundane - but OK - BTS platform and power plant/offices. The hotel is rather small (8 floors I think), so don't expect commanding views.

The staff at the hotel are indeed excellent - very friendly and excellent English. The lobby and hallways of the hotel are OK, but not much out of ordinary from most Holiday Inns - with some superficial and mild Thai accents (plastic Orchids - not real - - and weak burning oils). Overall, I'd say that this Holiday Inn is about the same as many Holiday Inns that I have been at - not really an upgrade in my opinion.

The room is extremely dark - with no real standing lamps or upper-level light source. The darkened windows and some exterior overhang outside the window does not allow for much natural light. The design, color, and decor of the room unfortunately accentuates the darkness of the room (and makes it seem smaller). I really did not like this dimness, and if I had wanted to do some work it would have been difficult because of this - also the desk is small and the desk lamp is impotent.

The room is relatively small - this especially hits you in the sliver of a bathroom. The bed is quite hard and not comfortable at all - except perhaps the pillows. Unless you like stiff mattresses, you will rely on your probably tiredness after running around BKK to be able to get to sleep. In the morning, it was hard to sleep past 8 or 9, as the drapes left a big sliver of intense sunlight open and I could hear the room next door and above me (maybe the maids cleaning?). There was also some hammering in the morning and that seemed to be a strange thing so early. My wife did not like the fact that while we had a double-occupancy room, we only received one (non-green) tea bag each day.

I am also uncertain about the price of the hotel. It is in prime location, so maybe it is cheaper than its neighbors - but in BKK, the price seems a little high for what you get. And, the breakfast was not included in our rate (even though we booked from the ICH website and I am a Priority Club member) - so that fact leads to less of a bargain.

In sum, great location, great staff, dark and dim room.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BanaPona
Reviewed October 26, 2007

The best 4 1/2 star experience ever! The door men and service staff is unbeatable in giving excellent service! The door men / concergies give you extraordinary attention in our opinion, and is worth all the tip in the world. Staff in breakfast lounge are really nice and caring, also in the bar and restarant.

The rooms are modern and well appointed and very clean. Nice housekeeping staff, nice with our children..! They gave our children toys for example.

The only thing which is little negative is the staff in reception. The service they are giving is far from the other staff!! They speak Thai with eachother and tend to laugh if requesting something or asking for special needs. Even reception manager has this approach. Be better!

I say LOCATION; LOCATION! The hotel has one of the best locations in Bangkok if you´re out for shopping and eating. It is close to large shopping complex and to the famous MBK.

I highly recommend this hotel. It was the second time we visited it, and we will go there again!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank Lillagullan
Reviewed October 25, 2007

After spending 3 weeks in Kao Tao and crashing a moped, eventually arrived back in Bangkok after a 12 hour bus journey. Decided to splash out and stay in The Holiday Inn as I had a sprained ankle from the crash....
I spent the first day in the hotel room..when the accommodation staff came to make the beds they asked was I ok and came back a few minutes later with a bucket of ice. Much to my suprise 10 minutes later, the Accommodation Supervisor came to check on me and personally escorted me to the doctor located downstairs who bandaged my ankle. The lady waited until I was finished and then brought me back to my room. I have never experienced such kind, thoughtful and attentive staff in a hotel and would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2005, traveled as a couple