“Very good, but can be better.”

InterContinental Bangkok
Ranked #21 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Very good, but can be better.”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

I came to InterContinental with high hopes – especially I had great previous experience with Holiday Inn Bangkok just next door on my last trip. However in the end I felt somewhat mixed.

Location was great, can’t get any better than that; Near to most shopping areas and Chit Lom BTS.

Check-in was somewhat smooth, though I felt the front desk was somewhat short staffed. The staff who served me was not particularly friendly but she was efficient. I was given the key card after a 15 minutes wait. We were given a tea leaf infused elephant as a welcome gift.

The room was comfortably set, the bed was great, bathroom amenities plenty. Upkeep was done well, with turndown service. Massive amount of TV channels (even though I don’t watch them).

The café (Balcony Lounge) is great, nicely renovated, very comfortable with nice drinks selection and friendly staff.

InterContinental staff maintained its high level of efficiency and competency; however the human touch that I experienced with its competitors is sorely missing. What baffles me further was Holiday Inn Bangkok (which is also part of IHG) seems to be much friendlier and warmer. If I as a Platinum Ambassador feel lack of personal touch, I will safely assume that there’s plenty of room of improvement.

Being in the hospitality business is not just focusing on the hardware (completing tasks and ticking the boxes), a lot of customer satisfaction comes from service.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Luis_HK
HiruD, Director of Rooms at InterContinental Bangkok, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your loyalty to our Ambassador Membership Program and for sharing your recent experience with us on tripadvisor. You comments regarding our comfortable rooms and the Balcony Lounge are highly appreciated.

We regret to hear that we could not fully convince you of the friendliness of our staff and please rest assured that we consider your valuable feedback seriously in order to improve our performance.

It would be our pleasure to have another opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel.

Director of Rooms

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (617)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Dusseldorf, Germany
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

Describe my stay in one word: perfect!
But lets see some details:-)
I chose this hotel as our main "attraction" for our stay in Bangkok this August. We stayed here for 3 nights using 2 reservations. 1 with the Ambassador Weekend voucher (which I got last year with the renewal of my Royal Ambassador status) and another one just after that. Of course this meant that you had to reactivate the keys since they block after the first resvation is overdue, but this happens always and everywhere so no negative feeling on that. Staff solved it immediately!
The hotel is located just next to Chit Lom BTS station, from where you can just walk in using the Skybridge. The bulidling itself has 37 floors, with the Club Lounge and the Pool on the top. The pool area is really nice, and you can enjoy a breathtaking view of Bangkok while sitting at the bar or even relaxing inside the pool. Of course you can only relax if the kids let you, which was during my stay a bit of a problem, but this is not the fault of the hotel, rather their parents!
When we arrived to the hotel we were immadeiately escorted up to the Club Lounge for checking in and also received a welcome drink! We have originally booked a Club Room with double bed but got an upgrade to sort of smaller suite on the 34st floor. The room fulfilles all Intercontinental standards and had a large window with view over the skyscrapers of Bangkok. Our room also included complementary minibar usage and we received a welcome wine and daily fresh fruit.
Regarding the Club Lounge and its kind and polite staff I can only repeat the comments already written here, that it is perfect. The staff was always very friendly and kind so with its nice view we have spent quiet a time up there just relaxing and watching the view.
All in all I can say that this was probably the best hotel I have ever stayed in, and would likely come back if I am in Bangkok again.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laszlo S
Dear Guest,

It is our pleasure to have you as our Royal Ambassador Member and thank you for choosing InterContinental Hotel during your recent stay in Bangkok.

Your warm comments about our hotel and its facilities in particular our Club InterContinental Lounge and its dedicated staff are highlight appreciated and we are delighted to hear that you enjoyed every second of your stay.

We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back at our hotel.

Silvi Marina, Italy
Reviewed August 20, 2013

was here on business trip, booked by my company. Loved the hotel so much!!! they escort me to the room upon check-in and did the registration there. First class service.

Breakfast was ok but a large range of choice. The room was spacious, get the higher level for better view.

Located right on the CBD, and just walk away to the shopping mall.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jane c
Dear Guest,

We appreciate your comments about your recent experience with us and would like to thank you for sharing it on tripadvisor.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back soon at InterContinental Bangkok.

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Being a frequent business traveller, expectations are high in terms of proximity to public transportation such as the BTS to avoid the Bangkok traffic, comfortable rooms, efficient and timely service, access to a variety of good local and international eating places, and the suburban type of retail supermarket.

The Bangkok InterContinental Hotel in central Bangkok fits all these requirements and more. Located in the heart of Bangkok and within 5-8 min short walking distances to all the above mentioned places, including the value-for-money Big C Supermarket located behind the hotel - real handy for picking up some local foodstuff at a bargain!

I first stayed in InterContinental Bangkok 4-5 years ago and have stayed in other 5-star hotels in Bangkok such as JW Marriott, Shangri-la, Four Seasons, Grand Hyatt over the years. Although these are good hotels, they can't match InterContinental in ALL the criteria mentioned.

Through the recommendation of a friend, I joined their Ambassador program and although initially slightly skeptical on the benefits, was convinced soon after that it is one of the best, if not the best Hotel Loyalty program around for frequent business travellers, and especially when you are invited as their Platinum Royal Ambassador member. I would recommend that anyone even if you are not a frequent business traveller to join the InterCon Ambassador program. In fact, I have paid for a couple of my close friends to join!

Service is always with a smile, friendly, unassuming and genuine; from the reception to security, to housekeeping, business centre, concierge, to the staff at the Club Lounge (Khun Surassada) and especially the Guest Relations Manager, Khun Chutima - an epitome of the politeness of Thai culture.

With all this going, I would be stupid to stay at another hotel brand, in Bangkok or anywhere else!

Room Tip: Upgrade to the corner room with the curvedpanoramic view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank MickeyPiao
Dear Guest,

We would like to express our sincerest thank you for being our Platinum Royal Ambassador and for sharing your recent experience with us on tripadvisor.

It is our pleasure to hear that we were able to exceed you expectations regarding our hotel, its location and its facilities and your wonderful comments about the service of our staff especially our Guest Relations Manager Ms. Chutima and Club InterContinental associate Ms. Surassada will be well passed on.

Thank you very much once again and we look forward to your return visit.

Hong Kong
Reviewed August 19, 2013

I refer to the reviews I checked in this column: the latest one being in mid-2009.

I am a frequent visitor to this esteemed hotel, around 3-4 times a year on leisure, and the last one was only two days before this review.
So, gone was the escort to room by the receptionist as one reviewer claimed. IT ONCE HAPPENED the very first time I landed on this hotel about 4 years ago. Well, those were the days. ( SORRY to mention that I am the hotel's 'ambassador' client.)
Gone were the baked croissants on tray plying tables. NO MORE squeezed juice delivered to your tables. YOU MAY HAVE TO WAIT at the serve table for the oven-fresh bakery, and you may have to examine if the juice is squeezed from real fruit. All juices of great varieties are now bottled.
Gone were the days your needs at breakfast were served fast and promptly. Used plates stayed on the table longer before being taken away. Refill of hot water for tea receives less attention than 'any coffee?'

However, some remain unchanged as described by one reviewer 5 years ago: the efficiency is still in. All floor staff are suave and well-mannered though the lady at the Ambassador counter was unable to attend to me after 10 minutes waiting after one small team of three who received the service of two receptionists in a row. And, the water pressure of the shower is still receiving less pressure than a standard one. The housekeeping team on my floor, the 34th , welcomed every passing guest, and responded with delight and efficiency. Always meeting cheerful guys pulling trolleys in the corridor in the morning: who can buy this wonderful morning? And, this scene remains unchanged.

Room Tip: rooms on the two ends: panoramic wide angle window.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank broke05
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts about your recent stay with us.
We regret to hear that we were apparently unable to meet your expectations and therefore appreciate your valuable feedback as a measure to continuously improve our performance. Please rest assured that the issues raised in your feedback have been addressed with the concerned management.

Nonetheless, we would like to thank you for your loyalty to our Ambassador Membership Program and hope that you will provide us with another chance in the nearby future.

Muscat, Oman
Reviewed August 19, 2013

The rooms, and amenities and spa were all amazing. I want to share an experiance that my wife had. My wife was out shopping at one of the Malls near by ( Siam Paragon) as she is 5 months pregnant i decided to take the two kids and allow her some alone shopping time that can be so hard to come by with two boys age 3 and 5.

While i was at the Aquarium with the boys my wife had used the bathroom and as we sometimes do forgot her iPhone 5 in there.

After about 5 minutes she realized that she had forgotten the phone, and when she went back it was gone.

Without any way to contact me she decided to ask the information desk at the mall for help. Because I have an international (Omani) number no one was able to help her to call me.

So she decided to call the hotel and the concierge had answered. After explaining the situation the hotel decided to try and call her phone and find out where it was.

The hotel managed to get a hold of the person who had taken the phone. Turns out she only spoke Thai and apprently decided to take the phone and give it to the police. Only thing was she was in a hurry and took the phone along with her for her two hour trip outside of bangkok. Upon learning this the hotel managed to arrange a messenger to drive two hours each way to pick up the phone and return it to use before the days end. all the asked was for the small charge of 400 baht that the messenger charged.

Needless to say my wife was esstatic at the service and the effort that the hotel staff made to ensure she got her phone back.

I would like to express my deepest appretiation to the entire staff of the Intercont bangkok and i will definatly be staying there again.

-Ali

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Ali_Q8T
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your wonderful feedback on tripadvisor and we are glad to hear that our assistance helped your wife in relocating her lost phone.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you and your family soon back at InterContinental Hotel during you next visit in Bangkok.

TBD
Reviewed August 14, 2013

I visited Thailand for the first time this year. The area is very diverse and full of exciting attractions. The first visit was an excellent occasion thanks to the hospitality of the InterContinental Bangkok Hotel staff. For me, the hotel has everything that I consider to be on my high priority list: great service, pristine facilities, and excellent proximity to the sites of the city.
The concierge service was exceptional. Beyond providing basic directions and dinner recommendations, which I consider rudimentary requests, Ms. Raveewan was able to provide a wealth of information and network contacts for all of my interests; it was clear Ms. Raveewan was experienced in the field of telling guests what’s worth seeing, doing and eating. She was also able to provide a quick overview of the idiosyncrasies of the city, which I found to be very beneficial to foreign guests. Best of all, that expansive knowledge saved me time, money and effort. The InterContinental Bangkok provided super service during my stay and I would recommend the hotel to anyone traveling to Thailand.

Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank H D
Dear Guest,

Your wonderful comments about our Concierge Ms. Raveewan are highly appreciated and we would like to say thank you for sharing your recent experience with InterContinental Bangkok on tripadvisor.

It will be our pleasure to welcome you back again in our hotel on you next visit to Bangkok.