“French Bistro for a change from Asian food”
Review of Chez Pape French Bistro - CLOSED

Chez Pape French Bistro
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed June 14, 2013

Frequent Thailand visitors from England recommended this hidden place to us and we were delighted. The food was fresh, tasty, well served, and a delightful change for us when spending a month in Thailand. The owner is on premises supervising most of the time and that is reflected in touches of perfection. Prices were reasonable and we will definitely return. I also liked that they accommodated my personal requests for no heat graciously and were quite clear as to which dishes had partially prepared sauces or marinades that would not be a good choice for me.

chez pape c, Owner at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded June 23, 2013

Thank you very much for your nice review, we really hope to see you again.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 24, 2013

We went there for dinner last night. I ordered escargot for entree and coq au vin (chicken) for main. Husband and daugther ordered duck and bolognaise for main. Dinner came about 8ish pm. Taste was ok, bit bland for my tongue, but misery was not there, about 4 am in the morning I had a stomach cramp & diarrhoea. It must be the chicken! Lucky my husband and my daughter are fine! well, I will never coming back nor recommend this place or at least do not order the chicken. For the restaurant/bistro owner PLEASE consider about your food hygiene/quality of food and do not serve a bloody OLD chicken!! For family, please do not bring your children here, or it will be a holiday misery if they have a diarrhoea!

chez pape c, Owner at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Dear Steph

We would like to come back on your review on trip Advisor.

You have been to our place the 24th April, table 7, 2 adults and one child, your order was:

1 pasta carbonara (and not Bolognese as mentioned, we do not have Bolognese)
1 cassoulet (and not duck as mentioned)
1 snail 12 pieces
1 Chicken red wine
1 chocolate mousse
1 sprite
1 glass of red wine
1 carafe of red wine

Total 2,778 Baht

We would like to come back on the food problem, first we are very sorry for what happened but unfortunately we were a bit surprised that your problem came from our food and this for different reasons:

1) The chicken in red wine sauce is cooked in the oven with 210 degrees which kill the germs if any germs around.
2) As an owner I eat in my place every day and I won’t take any risk to sell BLOODY chicken to make my clients or myself sick.
3) You have check bill at 8.20 PM, you got your chicken red wine around 7.45 pm and you start to be sick at 4.AM which is more then 8 hours later, if we consider that normally a food poisoning is in between 2 to 6 hours maximum then it’s not sure at all this problem from our place ( see below a text from internet : “Symptoms of food poisoning usually begin within two to six hours of ingesting contaminated food or water and include severe stomach cramps, diarrhea, fever, chills, headache, nausea, vomiting and weakness”.

4) Also maybe you got some drinks or fruits in the street before or after your dinner in our place and it could come from here too.

5) The last point it could come from a contact with another person, those two others reasons could be the reason you were sick as well. (See below a link from internet: “Viral gastroenteritis, commonly called the stomach flu, is an intestinal infection that can develop as a result of consuming contaminated food or water or close contact with someone who is infected. Clinic notes that the virus that most commonly causes viral gastroenteritis is the rotavirus.

In summary nothing prove that you have been sick because of our food and unfortunately without any proof or a diagnostic from a doctor you could considere that it could be another reason you have been sick.

We respect our customers and we start with this main point by selling quality and hygiene food because we don't want our customers get sick.
Any way we are sorry again for you and we hope you have recovered quickly. We wish you a good trip in Thailand and hope to see you again one day

The owner/Manager

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We visited Chez Pape yesterday and we have an excellent evening. The place was buzzing with energy from a mixed crowd of french tourist and expatriates, Thai's and the odd Danish person as well...

What you need to understand about this place is that it is a Bistro - it is not a restaurant in a 5 star restaurant. Service is friendly and approchable. We were partly served by the owner Pierre and a young lady. The chef came and said hello and asked for feedback.

We had a mixture of dishes from Chauteau brian, stuffed vegetables, lamb and seafood.

Dessert was nice and we received a on the house drink.... we explored the wine menu and went for gigondas, which was a good suggestion from Pierre.

Great place to bring friends for a night out of for couples looking for a good dinner that does now blow the budget.

chez pape c, Owner at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded April 29, 2013

Thank you very much for your review and we hope to see again at Chez Pape.

Regards

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I have been here a few times, the last being in March. Have tried a few of their dishes and they have always tasted good. Tried their daily specials and especially enjoyed their moules marinière which were plump and tasty especially the sauce which has became my favorite. Sadly, these have been discontinued.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I been there quiet often alone and with friends, and i had been always well received by the owner and the food is good and tasty.
i had tried several plates and it was always nice.
Service is nice too, the waitress friendly.

chez pape c, Owner at Chez Pape French Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded March 29, 2013

Dear Gabriele

Thank you for your nice comment on TA we hope to see you again and hope you will enjoy it again.

Regards