“Dinner at dine in the dark”
Review of Dine in the Dark - CLOSED

Dine in the Dark
Cuisines: Thai, International
Dining options: Reservations
Description: DID -- Dine in the Dark is a fine dining restaurant in complete darkness. It is an interesting, fun and enjoyable experience, to discover with your friends, colleagues and loved ones.With dishes prepared by our Le Cordon Bleu trained Chef, DID - Dine in the Dark offers a choice of four surprise menus:- International (3-course menu)- Thai (3-course menu)- Vegetarian (3-course menu)- Culinary discovery (5-course menu, with additional wine pairing option).Menus are complemented by an extensive à-la-carte range of wines and cocktails. Special dietary requirements are accommodated upon request.DID - Dine in the Dark also has a social purpose. The restaurant employs qualified bilingual visually impaired individuals and provides them with employment opportunities. Moreover, 10% of the net profits are allocated to skills development programmes in support of the visually impaired in Thailand.DETAILS:Opening hours: DID - Dine in the Dark is open daily from 7:30pm to 11:00pm. Seating is offered on a daily basis, from 7:30pm to 8:30pm.Location: The venue is located at Ascott Sathorn Bangkok, the city's modern business district. Dine in the Dark is easily accessible by road through Sathorn Road and has available parking. The restaurant is also conveniently located within 7 minutes walking distance from the Skytrain BTS Chong Nonsi station. Address: Ascott Sathorn Bangkok, 2nd Floor, 187 Sathorn Road, Yannawa, 10120 Bangkok, Thailand / BTS Skytrain Chong Nonsi.Special occasions: DID - Dine in the Dark is available for corporate events, special banquets, catering, and special events of all kinds. Concerts in the dark, poetry recitals, wine tasting and other special events are also regularly organized at the venue.
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We saw the recent reviews and were intrigued enough to want to try ...after all when can you say you've been to a restaurant that was pitch black ....in the end this is all about an experience.
When you arrive the staff won't give anything away ....only to say that you can choose between Thai, vegetarian or international cuisine as the menu is fixed ...this is to ensure that you rely on your senses to tell what you are eating .....this I have to say makes the experience
We were led into the dark by our server and guide who is blind ....this is a sobering thought as you start your meal
Once at the table they serve the courses and drinks and leave you to get used to the fact that you really have to rely on your other senses .... It's not easy working out what you are eating ...but , we chose Thai , and all three courses were good .... I won't say what they were as this may give the game away ......once you have finished your guide leads you back to the lobby where you get to see the dishes you have just eaten ...and it's quite a surprise how much you miss ,,
As a summary we would probably go again but in a group as this would add another level of amusement ....overall an experience to definitely try once ,,

1  Thank Paul_Haslam

Reviewed August 11, 2012

when i first walked into the restaurant, in the pitch-black darkness, i felt a slightly uneasy. i couldn't imagine feeling comfortable eating in the darkness. but by the end of the meal, i really didn't want to leave! i had the three-course vegetarian meal. i thought i would be able to imagine what i was eating, but in many cases i was completely wrong. the best part is getting to see your meal at the end - it is quite an unbelievable feeling!

the food is average (my main was cold) - but they mix together interesting textures, plate shapes, and ingredients so the flavors are unexpected and your senses are heightened. while the food is okay, the experience is unbelievable. i felt that it was one of my most memorable dining experiences, and it did not bother me at all that the food was only average. for me, it was about the ambience, the conversation, the music - and it all came together into an unforgettable experience. i think everyone must try this once in your life - a truly unique concept.

Reviewed August 9, 2012 via mobile

I had my company dinner for 10 there and the experience was phenomenal. We reach Ascott and the apartment lobby looks old and air cond is not cold. It's a good 10mins walk from the neary train station so the almost aircondless welcome was quiet a letdown. We freshen ourselves up at the Ascott toilet and it stinks bad and looks old. Not very nice for a start. Took the elevator to the DID and luckily, the aircond there was colder.
Service was generally good. We q in to the pitch dark restaurant excited and scared at first. Was served by the blind n one of the waitress accidentally toppled the bottle water on my colleagues. But forgivable since she's blind.
Taste of food was outstanding. But ingredients used wasn't top notch. So I would say that u are probably paying for the experience as for the amount paid can easily get you real quality food elsewhere. As it is in the dark u can't see the food presentation as well. At $1200 bath person, you can have a lavish seafood brunch with in a 5 star hotel in Bangkok.
Overall it is a great place for laughter with group of friends. But since u're in pitch dark, u probably won't wanna stay too long after dinner as I might gets bored once the food finished. Will I come back again? Probably with a group of friends who have had everything except dining in the dark.

Reviewed August 9, 2012

First off, DID is not your typical restaurant. While the food is good, you go there for the experience. We went, my girlfriend and I, with a certain anticipation and excitement at the idea of eating in a pitch black room. The first few minutes were certainly disorienting but the staff and the way the restaurant and menu is set up is perfect to make the the experience great in all respects. The staff is always close to you, ready to help, the table and seats are larger with more room to move around and the menu is planned to be easy to eat in the dark.

We went with a group and it took a while to adapt to the dark in the sense that everybody was speaking at the same time and was disoriented. But naturally, after a few minutes, we started to listen to each other and we got into great conversations all together (a change from other times where you end up with many small discussions all over the place). And the sells! You actually smell everything, all your other senses are automatically amplified. It's an amazing feeling!

The food itself is excellent. We were prepared to have relatively ordinary food in the context of this very conceptual dining experience but this is far from the truth. While being simpler than a restaurants of similar prices, the quality of the food was good and we enjoyed every plate to the last bit (as far as I could see).

This is a dining experience I recommended to all my friends and recommend to anybody with a minimal level of openness and curiosity. Don't be afraid by the in-the-dark concept, the management and staff really make it easy and enjoyable.

Contrary to my expectation, we had to push ourselves out of the room. We got so comfortable we did not want to leave!

1  Thank AndreMalenfant
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Dine in the Dark was high on our to-do list on our recent trip to Bangkok. We just wanted a different experience and feel what it's like to eat in a pitch-dark environment.
No even a hint of light is allowed in the restaurant, so all electronic gadgets (including mobile phones) have to be left with the reception. All waiting staff is blind, and they are the only ones who know their way around. Each table gets their own waiter/waitress, and without him/her you're basically helpless. This is the person who serves your food and refills your water and wine glasses. Our waiter was superb. He announced when food would be served or asked whether our glasses needed a refill. But you would never hear him doing it.

We went for Thai instead of international or vegetarian food. It wasn't great, so there's certainly room for improvement on the culinary front, especially when considering that it's not cheap. It's quite challenging to eat in the dark, and more often than not the food on my fork didn't reach its destination. Admittedly, I lost patience once in a while when I couldn't succeed and just used my fingers. But you'll get away with it since nobody can see you anyway.

Sine you can't see, all your other senses are heightened. It was fun to figure out what food was on our plate by taste and smell only. The noise level in the restaurant seemed a bit high, but I'm pretty sure it's just because we listened and heard more than we'd usually do.

It was a great experience, something you quite possibly only do once or twice in your life. For an hour you'll go though something blind people have to deal with all their lives. And you might find something out about yourself as well. Though I felt quite relieved when seeing the first hint of light again.

2  Thank Kookoon