“The Okura Prestige Bangkok beyond my expectations”

The Okura Prestige Bangkok
Ranked #6 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Okura Prestiage Bangkok was my last hotel I have stayed during my trip in Asia. I had a wonderful time in the hotel and I was a little disappointed I did not extend my stay. On arrival we were welcomed by several staff members and escorted to the room. The combination of the Japanese chainhotel and the famous service of the culture of Thailand is amazing. I am Guest Relations Officer in Hotel Okura Amsterdam and my stay in the Okura Prestiage Bangkok was beyond my expectations. I recommend this specific hotel if you are traveling to Bangkok.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank annemariekraak
Write a ReviewReviews (2,831)

Reviewed November 15, 2012

After having read all the news and reviews of this new hotel from a renowned group, I set my expectation very high. Last month I decided to pamper myself, I therefore booked this hotel for a special occasion. However, I should be the least lucky person to return home with one of the worst hotel experience I ever had in my life.

I stayed in more than 50 hotels in BKK before and I am confident to say that I could make a sensible comparison. I admit that when I first saw the room rate from the official website, I had reservation initially. No one could deny that 7600 baht per night in BKK is not a low room rate, and that was why I approached Okura with high expectation.

I checked-in on 9 Nov, I arrived early at noon and I was prepared to deposit my luggage first without being assigned a room immediately. I arrived, two hotel staff members working head-down diligently behind the long dark counter but neither of them gave me a damn look. I understood that they might be busy but I swear that my friend & I were the only customers at that moment. I supposed that we were just invisible. I was initially happy and took pictures around. I waited for more than 5 mins until my patience ran out; then I should grab some attention - probably my first time to do so in a country of warm hospitality.
The check-in procedure was fine unless the hotel staff asked me if I required a twin room or double room. What a superfluous question - I was pretty sure that I specified my choice when I booked. Fine, I do not mind flaws from time to time.

We were then taken to our room. To be fair, the "hardware" of the hotel was above average but it did not take us long to discover more flaws. We took a brief rest but could not wait any longer for our luggage, which was not yet delivered. We decided to go down to the cafe and had a snack. The cafe snacks were fine but we had a wonderful company: a fly. I am used to insects in Thailand but do we accept a fly on a 24th floor in an air-con recently-built posh complex? The fly actually landed on my choco cake - a good prove of the food quality. I wish I could have taken a picture of the wonderful insect to show viewers here.

We then went out shopping. When we returned, it was after 7pm and I was a bit annoyed that our luggage was still missing. It's my first time ever that I need to chase my luggage in a hotel after checking-in.

Other flaws popped up. Guests need re-logging in using Wifi. Viewers may also be amazed to view the attached photo - could we accept a blocked drain in a 7600b per night 5-star hotel? Did housekeeping personnel properly check the room? The swimming pool was another highlight but we were treated as trespassers. When we entered the pool area, the receptionist was missing. We sat down and looked around. Then a guy approached us and asked with some hostility: "are you hotel guest?" Good, I learned a lesson - enter a pool only after asking.

The Jap breakfast was also much expected but the Yamazato restaurant failed to please. Could the management possibly notice that the sunlight was too strong and could they have an idea to lower the curtains before guests complaining? Something I regarded as common sense.

7600 baht is not cheap, even in the most expensive cities such as Tokyo or Osaka. But in the Land of Smile, where one expects warm hospitality; and if the management is supposed to be the quality-conscious Jap corporation where one expects attention to details ... Could someone please explain to me that I was the least lucky hotel guest? Or were the occurrences of all flaws mere coincidence?

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank chicmec
OkuraPrestigeBangkok, General Manager at The Okura Prestige Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your recent review of The Okura Prestige Bangkok on Trip Advisor. Your constructive comments are very important to us.

We sincerely apologise for the lapse in service you experienced during your stay. I can assure you this is not the norm which can be supported by the many favourable trip advisor comments and we sincerely regret that our usually high standards were not reflected during your stay. We are fully committed to ensuring that our guests receive the highest levels of service and we thank you for sharing you experience which will certainly help us to review our services.

I hope you will give us another opportunity and request that you contact the Executive Office for your future reservation. I will ensure you have a seamless and enjoyable visit.

Yours sincerely
Samir R Wildemann

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have stayed in many Hotels in Bangkok over the years but the newly opened Okura Prestige has got to be one of the best.
The location is just perfect. The Ploenchit BTS station is accessed via a small covered shopping walkway. The main hotel entrance with lobby has an excellent concierge and taxi service - the stunning flower shop is well worth a visit.
The main reception is on the 24th floor. Perfect location with a very large lounge area for drinks and coffee, with the breakfast, buffet lunch area and evening dining areas well spread out and also with stunning views - the service was excellent.
There are a number of varied restaurants which are all worth trying.
There is an outside terrace which is super for evening drinks, pre and post dinner.
The rooms are spacious and quiet. The far reaching views across Bangkok are to die for. The rooms have everything that one would expect in a hotel of this standard including automatic and adjusting toilets! The bathrooms also double up as a wet room and the toilet is separate to the main bathroom.
Very comfortable beds and bedding.
The hotel infinity pool is stunning and the gym is very well equipped with large windows taking in the Bangkok skyline.
The Spa is very tranquil with 5 separate spa treatment rooms and again is of the highest standard.
The staff are very well trained and very attentive to detail and I must say that the House Keeping team were very good indeed - nothing was too much trouble for Khun Adisorn..
My stay was really great, not cheap but well worth the money and I will be back for sure.
A really exceptional hotel.

Room Tip: All rooms have exceptional views over Bangkok.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
6  Thank 35Peter
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Arrived fr our honeymoon to a hand written card and cake in room. Fresh flowers in our room. Attention to detail and friendliness of staff just made our stay. Things like staff remembering if we drunk tea or not, hellos from all staff, no stuffiness that some big hotels give out. The facilities were faultless. Pool, the bars, the restaurants, the gym, and the room. Great views over the city and the sky train on your door step. We even had the manager pop by over breakfast on one morning mingling with guests. One of the best of many hotels I have stayed at!!!!

Room Tip: We had a brilliant room on top floor with one wall of floor to ceiling windows and views of the city...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Craig W
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Really nice stay here. Great swimming pool, friendly staff with good English and all the facilities you would want. Great breakfast, fast wi-fi, gym and pool facilities and nice spa was impressed by the Thai staff spa reception Ms. Sutida whom speak very well Japaneses and friendly smile. I had a great time stay in the heart of the city with great views from the room.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Aoi Y
Reviewed November 4, 2012

This hotel is just perfect!
Beyond its aesthetic and impressive Japanese design, the hotel's maintain the highest standards in terms of cleanliness and service.
The food is delicious and very diverse.
And even the price is not that bad, especially considering this is one of the leading hotels of the world.

I was in Okura hotel in Amsterdam earlier this year, and it was perfect as well.

Just wonderful hotels!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Michal L
Reviewed November 3, 2012

I have picked this hotel for my long awaited getaway trip in early Oct because it is new and located right next to a BTS station. (Frankly, taking taxi in Bangkok did not give my good experience. Taxi drivers tend to reject "meter" very often based on my experience)
Being a regular traveller to Japan, I was so looking forward to my stay in this 5-star Japanese hotel brand.
My first impression with this hotel was not good at all. It took us 20 minutes to complete the check-in not because of the queue (we were the only group checking-in back there) but the incompetency of the staff. We were served by 4 different staff at the reception counter within that 20 mins and we were not explained the reasons for the extra-long time for the check-in. I suspected that the hotel had problems in dealing with last-min booking. And it should not be the case for japanese hotels, which are always systematic.
The hotel decor looks nice in every aspect (love the pool and gym, the cafe (for breakfast) makes you comfy). However, the room itself is overly subtle (the color choice is very mild and warm, but remind me of a very tranditional hotel in tokyo that i stayed before). In addition, I dont like the design the separate toilet and bathroom. Dont feel very relaxed when you have to do one of the most important "daily business" in that tiny air-tight toilet room.
Hotel guests are offered to pick international buffet or japanese bento breakfast, which is very common among 5-star hotels in Japan. However, the selection at international buffet did disappoint me. They dont even serve sausages for breakfast. Orange juice is not freshly squeezed (not even close to tropiciana).
Surprising, the hotel location is not as good as we expected. It is true that it is close to BTS but there is no restaurants, shopping malls, messages and spa nearby. If you prefer a relaxing walk to the hotel after dinner in Siam Paragon/Central World or drink in Asoke, the hotel may not fit in your need too.
Lastly, the hotel may consider to put the price list of the hotel spa in the room for benefit of guest reservation and its marketing purpose. (The hotel spa offers great promotion pack to guests for appointment before 5pm...but i was not lucky enough to experience it)
Finally, a few compliments to the hotel: 1) they served different types of fruits in the room during my 3-day stay; 2) There is a dean & deluca at the ground level of building complex; 3) helpful in granting late check-out (for one-hour).
Afterall, not sure this hotel is ready to climb up the ladder in such a competitve hotel industry of Bangkok. Certainly room for improvement.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family