“Sunday Afternoon Jazz Jam hidden in plain view on Sukhumvit”
Review of Checkinn99

Checkinn99
Ranked #2 of 36 Concerts & Shows in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: OUR VENUE WILL BE CLOSED FOR 10 WEEKS FOR RENOVATIONS BETWEEN 29MAR & 10JUN. PLEASE FOLLOW OUR WEBSITE FOR DETAILS ON REOPENING WE REGRET ANY INCONVENIENCE. Checkinn99 in in the heart of downtown Sukhumvit with our evening entertainment from Music of the Heart Band with hours 6 pm - midnight nightly during the Kings mourning period (we will extend hours progressively). Blues Jam Saturday afternoons 4-8pm and Jazz on Sundays between 2 - 6 pm. Checkinn99 offers excellent nightly Cabaret style entertainment from the international class house band Music of the heart. We are a relaxed no-hassles lounge-style venue, ideal for couples, singles or groups looking for a night of live music, great hospitality and dancing. Very popular for birthday parties, celebrations or just a fun night out. We offer an excellent international and local Thai menu choice. We also host weekend afternoon Jazz and Blues jams highly popular with local and international visiting musicians.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access
Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Sunday Afternoon Jazz Jam hidden in plain view on Sukhumvit”
Reviewed April 14, 2013

Check Inn is listed as a restaurant, but I went (and go) looking for good jazz. I had seen William Waite playing excellent saxophone in other venues and he told me about a Sunday afternoon jam he hosts at Check Inn. The house band is a rock solid group playing standards (Waite renders great Coltrane, Sonny Rollins, Monk and more) and you literally never know who will show up to sit in. Everyone is welcome from first timers on up, but one of the best things about it is local pros also come in to have fun. The best players in Bangkok shoulder to shoulder with novices giving them a leg up and making beautiful music. There's a nice 99 baht menu with nachos, mini burgers, mushroom soup, baked potatoes and bigger dishes if you're really hungry (I like 3 pancakes and ice cream, personally). I also like that it happens 2-6pm, so I don't have to stay out late to get my fill of good music on a Sunday. The atmosphere is suitably dimly lit and cozy, also a neat treat on a Sunday afternoon. Come in, listen to some cool music, get your nerve up and join the band!

1 Thank mmoodmusic
checkinn99, Manager at Checkinn99, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Mmood - many thanks for your positive feedback on our rather relaxed and laid back Sunday afternoon Jazz sessions. (Your original review was incorrectly listed in Trip Advisor and now moved with the rest of the attraction reviews),

Please excuse me for not recognizing you - but I am somewhat in awe of the Jazz aficionados who are now regularly visiting and making Checkinn such an interesting place (even for me to visit and rub shoulders with some greats!) Thanks also for mentioning our special food and drink specials - I have tried to make pricing Musician and Teacher friendly.... (your ongoing feedback is welcome on the menu)

I have posted quite a few clips of William Waite's Quartet on Youtube search under "Jazz on Sukhumvit" I am a little overdue on getting some updated clips online so will work on that.

Again many thanks for your well informed comments and look forward to you saying Hi on your next visit. Safe Travels.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Victoria, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“All Jazz'd up in Bangkok”
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was wandering down Sukhumvit road last Sunday afternoon and heard some sweet sounds coming out of a club named Check Inn 99. Being the adventurous type I walked inside and discovered a handful of muso's on stage (Thai, English, American, Irish) playing some excellent quality Jazz.

The atmosphere was laid back, the decor and many photo's on the walls took me back in time to gentler days and the easy going but attentive staff made sure I was well looked after.

The club was nicely busy with a crowd made up of folk from what looked to be all corners of the planet. Everyone looked happy, relaxed and enjoying the music.

I made friends with a couple at a nearby table and spent a very pleasant afternoon chatting, listening to the band and relaxing.

The band had a great rapport with the crowd and were happy to take requests.

Recommended for all wanting a relaxed, pleasant and musically excellent afternoon!

Visited April 2013
2 Thank TimAdamWalker
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this review, April 16, 2013
Tim.. many thanks for your personal message and review. I am sorry to have missed meeting you.

Since we have put out the street facing speaker and signage for our Jazz jam sessions we have been lucky to attract more walk-ins such as yourself. There are many great Jazz venues in Bangkok (reviewed on TA) and the musicians you heard are circulating amongst them. We are that the Sunday afternoon sessions don't conflict with other venues. As the afternoons are very informal and relaxed - we get quite a backlog of guest musicians wanting to get up and join the anchor band (although the William Wait Quartet can often swell to about 8 - 10 on stage).

When you return to Bangkok - please let me know so that I can arrange to meet up with you next time. In the meantime Safe travels
Phitsanulok
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Pure Magic!”
Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Check Inn 99 is a perfect place to spend an evening whether with flying solo, with a group of friends, or with your significant other. First, the atmosphere is superb and highlights the fact that you are in one of Bangkok's oldest venues. The pictures lining the walls bring you back to a different era. Included in this atmosphere is the wonderful staff who are attentive without being overbearing. Perhaps the elegant Mama Noi, a veteran of the Bangkok scene for over forty years, has something to do with this. The drink prices are exceptionally reasonable for a Bangkok venue. I chose the 199 Baht Heineken Jug and the drink list is extensive. The live music offered is also exceptional. We got in early, around 6:30, and were treated to a great acoustic set by an engaging Aussie by the name of Phil. From the Monkees to Neil Young Phil knocked it out of the park. This was followed by the Heart Band. A girl rock 'n roll group, the Heart Band were lively, fun, and simply rocked the stage. My wife and I had only planned on staying for a few hours but ended up staying till close to midnight; "Why leave," we figured as we were having so much fun. I'd also like to thank the owner, Chris, for making us feel so at home. In fact, my wife doesn't like the pub style so we rarely step out when in Bangkok but because of the great time we were provided at the Check Inn 99 it will be a go-to place for us on our visits to the city.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank thl2765
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
THL, firstly many thanks for visiting Checkinn99 for what became and extended evening. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time taken to submit your review.
You and your wife enjoyed an evening in Checkinn in much the way we really intended.. and I also was pleased to join you for part of the evening.

There are a few great "Blues" clips of Phil and Chris on our Youtube channel - search under "Philip Bartlett & Christian Desarmes" (I am totally biased - and of course think they are great also).

I hope to see you soon on your return visit. in the meantime Safe Travels.
Ashgab
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great place to relax and listen to music”
Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had heard about Check Inn 99 and finally had a chance to check it out early last Friday evening. I was surprised to find live music this early - a talented blues harmonicav and guitar player named "Humble Mike" who had a great voice and put on a great show. The owner later came over and told me that there is 60 hours of live music every week, including a jazz show on Sunday afternoon. I ordered the liter jug of Heineken beer which is a great value at 199 Baht but there is also a wide variety of other drinks available. A little while later, the headliners - Music of the Heart band - came on and put on a spectacular show. The setting is an intimate one and even the bar is only about 10 meters away from the band. This means that the band can see the guests arrive and every new arrival is acknowledged after each song. So many are mentioned by name that it seems there are a lot of regular visitors - which, to me is a good thing. There are three female singers accompanied by a guitarist and a multi-instrumentalist who both also sing. The singers were great and they seem to have a nearly-inexhaustible song list. They take requests and also sing songs from wherever the visitors are from. That night they did a song in Chinese and also a fantastic version of an "Irish drinking song" - Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar". I enjoyed myself so much that, even though I had only one more night in Bangkok, I came back again the next night. I did not eat this time but have heard good things about the food and the menu is well price so I will have dinner next time. My only regret is that my wife could not come with me - I'm sure she would have loved it. The owner Chris is very friendly and responsive. Highly Recommended.

2 Thank JimAshgab
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Jim,
Many thanks for visiting Checkinn and staying for the evening. Your positive feedback is most appreciated... Humble Mike plays acoustic on a Friday night during Happy Hour and he is now attracting a strong crowd of regulars. Most of his clips recorded at Checkinn99 can be found by searching Youtube "humblemikebkk".

Also many thanks for your positive comments on Music of the Heart Band. They are an absolute treasure and justly attract a huge following. You are right the mix of customers is approximately 50% regulars (local frequent and infrequent) 25% walk-ins - (who see and hear the music then brave our hole in the wall front ally entrance) and the rest through internet and advisory sites such as TA. The spread of customer groups / ages is extremely broad - but it all hangs together through a lot of good spirit and great staff. Hope to see you back next time with your wife.... Safe Travels.
Bangkok
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Jazz!”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Turned up on Sunday afternoon having just arrived in Bangkok, at the behest of a friend who's recommendations are usually spot on. He was this time too. Vibey place, excellent band, (English/American but accompanied by a couple of the best Thai Jazz players I've ever seen!) great atmosphere... I will be back.

Visited March 2013
2 Thank DavidCrossBangkok
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this review, April 12, 2013
David - thanks very much for your review on our Sunday afternoon Jazz.. It is very laid back and informal! To be fair we are really just one part of a community of great jazz & blues venues in Bangkok and many of our guest musicians can be found performing between them - we are lucky to be able to support the Sunday afternoon segment whereas most of the other great venues cover evening hours. We have some great music clips & photos to give a better feel - please search either our facebook or youtube channel under "Jazz on Sukhumvit". Look forward to seeing you back again. Safe Travels.