“All Jazz'd up in Bangkok”
Review of Checkinn99

Checkinn99
Ranked #2 of 41 Concerts & Shows in Bangkok
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Checkinn99 is in the heart of downtown Sukhumvit with our evening live entertainment with hours 6 pm - 1.30am nightly. Easy listening from 6-9pm and nghtly live band 9-midnight / 1am. Jazz Jam on Sundays between 2 - 6 pm - then Blues through till 1am. Checkinn99 offers excellent nightly live entertainment from both our house band Cherry and Earth along with other visiting bands. We are a relaxed no-hassles lounge-style venue, ideal for couples, singles or groups looking for a night of live music, great hospitality and dancing. Very popular for birthday parties, celebrations or just a fun night out. We offer a range of tapas served to tables (our newly renovated kitchen will be opening end of December offering an international and local Thai menu choice). We also host weekend afternoon Jazz and Blues jams highly popular with local and international visiting musicians.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Wheelchair access, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed April 13, 2013

I was wandering down Sukhumvit road last Sunday afternoon and heard some sweet sounds coming out of a club named Check Inn 99. Being the adventurous type I walked inside and discovered a handful of muso's on stage (Thai, English, American, Irish) playing some excellent quality Jazz.

The atmosphere was laid back, the decor and many photo's on the walls took me back in time to gentler days and the easy going but attentive staff made sure I was well looked after.

The club was nicely busy with a crowd made up of folk from what looked to be all corners of the planet. Everyone looked happy, relaxed and enjoying the music.

I made friends with a couple at a nearby table and spent a very pleasant afternoon chatting, listening to the band and relaxing.

The band had a great rapport with the crowd and were happy to take requests.

Recommended for all wanting a relaxed, pleasant and musically excellent afternoon!

2  Thank TimAdamWalker
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Tim.. many thanks for your personal message and review. I am sorry to have missed meeting you.

Since we have put out the street facing speaker and signage for our Jazz jam sessions we have been lucky to attract more walk-ins such as yourself. There are many great Jazz venues in Bangkok (reviewed on TA) and the musicians you heard are circulating amongst them. We are that the Sunday afternoon sessions don't conflict with other venues. As the afternoons are very informal and relaxed - we get quite a backlog of guest musicians wanting to get up and join the anchor band (although the William Wait Quartet can often swell to about 8 - 10 on stage).

When you return to Bangkok - please let me know so that I can arrange to meet up with you next time. In the meantime Safe travels

All reviews
in 25 reviews
"choreography"
"acoustics"

Reviewed April 12, 2013

The Check Inn 99 is a perfect place to spend an evening whether with flying solo, with a group of friends, or with your significant other. First, the atmosphere is superb and highlights the fact that you are in one of Bangkok's oldest venues. The pictures lining the walls bring you back to a different era. Included in this atmosphere is the wonderful staff who are attentive without being overbearing. Perhaps the elegant Mama Noi, a veteran of the Bangkok scene for over forty years, has something to do with this. The drink prices are exceptionally reasonable for a Bangkok venue. I chose the 199 Baht Heineken Jug and the drink list is extensive. The live music offered is also exceptional. We got in early, around 6:30, and were treated to a great acoustic set by an engaging Aussie by the name of Phil. From the Monkees to Neil Young Phil knocked it out of the park. This was followed by the Heart Band. A girl rock 'n roll group, the Heart Band were lively, fun, and simply rocked the stage. My wife and I had only planned on staying for a few hours but ended up staying till close to midnight; "Why leave," we figured as we were having so much fun. I'd also like to thank the owner, Chris, for making us feel so at home. In fact, my wife doesn't like the pub style so we rarely step out when in Bangkok but because of the great time we were provided at the Check Inn 99 it will be a go-to place for us on our visits to the city.

3  Thank thl2765
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this reviewResponded April 14, 2013

THL, firstly many thanks for visiting Checkinn99 for what became and extended evening. We greatly appreciate your positive feedback and the time taken to submit your review.
You and your wife enjoyed an evening in Checkinn in much the way we really intended.. and I also was pleased to join you for part of the evening.

There are a few great "Blues" clips of Phil and Chris on our Youtube channel - search under "Philip Bartlett & Christian Desarmes" (I am totally biased - and of course think they are great also).

I hope to see you soon on your return visit. in the meantime Safe Travels.

Reviewed April 11, 2013

I had heard about Check Inn 99 and finally had a chance to check it out early last Friday evening. I was surprised to find live music this early - a talented blues harmonicav and guitar player named "Humble Mike" who had a great voice and put on a great show. The owner later came over and told me that there is 60 hours of live music every week, including a jazz show on Sunday afternoon. I ordered the liter jug of Heineken beer which is a great value at 199 Baht but there is also a wide variety of other drinks available. A little while later, the headliners - Music of the Heart band - came on and put on a spectacular show. The setting is an intimate one and even the bar is only about 10 meters away from the band. This means that the band can see the guests arrive and every new arrival is acknowledged after each song. So many are mentioned by name that it seems there are a lot of regular visitors - which, to me is a good thing. There are three female singers accompanied by a guitarist and a multi-instrumentalist who both also sing. The singers were great and they seem to have a nearly-inexhaustible song list. They take requests and also sing songs from wherever the visitors are from. That night they did a song in Chinese and also a fantastic version of an "Irish drinking song" - Thin Lizzy's "Whiskey in the Jar". I enjoyed myself so much that, even though I had only one more night in Bangkok, I came back again the next night. I did not eat this time but have heard good things about the food and the menu is well price so I will have dinner next time. My only regret is that my wife could not come with me - I'm sure she would have loved it. The owner Chris is very friendly and responsive. Highly Recommended.

2  Thank JimAshgab
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this reviewResponded April 20, 2013

Jim,
Many thanks for visiting Checkinn and staying for the evening. Your positive feedback is most appreciated... Humble Mike plays acoustic on a Friday night during Happy Hour and he is now attracting a strong crowd of regulars. Most of his clips recorded at Checkinn99 can be found by searching Youtube "humblemikebkk".

Also many thanks for your positive comments on Music of the Heart Band. They are an absolute treasure and justly attract a huge following. You are right the mix of customers is approximately 50% regulars (local frequent and infrequent) 25% walk-ins - (who see and hear the music then brave our hole in the wall front ally entrance) and the rest through internet and advisory sites such as TA. The spread of customer groups / ages is extremely broad - but it all hangs together through a lot of good spirit and great staff. Hope to see you back next time with your wife.... Safe Travels.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Turned up on Sunday afternoon having just arrived in Bangkok, at the behest of a friend who's recommendations are usually spot on. He was this time too. Vibey place, excellent band, (English/American but accompanied by a couple of the best Thai Jazz players I've ever seen!) great atmosphere... I will be back.

2  Thank DavidCrossBangkok
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

David - thanks very much for your review on our Sunday afternoon Jazz.. It is very laid back and informal! To be fair we are really just one part of a community of great jazz & blues venues in Bangkok and many of our guest musicians can be found performing between them - we are lucky to be able to support the Sunday afternoon segment whereas most of the other great venues cover evening hours. We have some great music clips & photos to give a better feel - please search either our facebook or youtube channel under "Jazz on Sukhumvit". Look forward to seeing you back again. Safe Travels.

See more reviews
Reviewed April 9, 2013

Having been to Check Inn several times , I feel its time to fully recommend checking out Check Inn .What's not to like about this place? The live band have that great cheesy fun factor that works in Thailand! The staff are attentive, and the host made an effort to welcome us and chat to us. The crowd is a an eclectic mix of young and old, Thai and foreign, tourists, expats and locals alike. I've been several times and you can never pick how busy it will be. Go alone or with others - the likelihood is that you'll get chatting to someone. Thanks for the fun, Sarah and Cristie :)

1  Thank kamalachick
checkinn99, Owner at Checkinn99, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Hi Kamalachick (Cristie and Sarah), Many thanks for taking the time to chat this week and for some good face to face feedback (all most welcome). We really appreciate your review, your positive remarks and interaction with the staff and band. I hope that you have the opportunity to visit again soon - (please let me know so I can ensure to be there). Safe Travels