“Dont bother”

Cuisines: American
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Reviewed October 15, 2012

We ordered "the family feast" thinking it would crave our hunger,a beer and a water.What came out was pathetic,a starter for two more like.1400 baht inc taxes,an hour later we were in Mc Donalds.

Reviewed May 4, 2012

Where to begin.

Ok. I was starving. I was in the mood for a steak. I knew that a new Tony Roma's steak house, or barbecue, if you prefer, had opened in the Terminal 21 shopping mall centrally located in downtown Bangkok at the juncture of Ratchadaphisek and Sukhumvit Roads, a part of town that is called Asok. There is a SkyTrain station at Asok, and we were a mere two stops away. We could be there within minutes. So that is where I decided to take my family.

The location is outstanding. You can take the escalators up from either the Underground or the SkyTrain stations at Asok, and be at the restaurant in minutes. Unfortunately....I began to SMELL the restaurant about 20 meters away from it. I was torn between deciding that the smells were appetizing or gross. It was the stench of cooking meat. I appears that the restaurant lacks adequate ventilation.

No matter. I am starving. We walk in, and to my shock, the place is nearly full. All peripheral booths are occupied. Only tables in the middle are available, until we proceed to the back of the restaurant, and we see a few free booths. We settle in.

The drink menu is ok, except that it does not mention the milk shakes, which are on the food menu. So I order an apple juice, until I notice the milk shakes. Then I change my order. To her credit, this does not confuse the waitress, which can often be a danger in Thailand. My wife orders a tomato juice. My step-daughter orders some other variety of fruit juice.

I then then begin scrutinizing the menu. It looks ok....except the steak is absurdly expensive. They are charging 1,250 baht for 12 oz striploin. I figure, "this must be some steak," so I go ahead and order one. My wife has a more jaundiced eye, and she is a bit queasy from the smell of the kitchen, so she orders a barbecue chicken platter and tells the waitress that she will share it with our step-daughter. Good enough.

Then the problems begin.

My wife's tomato juice comes in a whiskey glass. They charge 85 baht for it, but they are clearly short-changing customers on volume. My step-daughter is satisfied with her lime juice. My strawberry milkshake comes out, and it looks majestic, with a proud crown of whipped cream, in an elegant fountain glass. I suck through the straw, and it tastes fine. I suck a few more mouthfuls, and then the parsimony of the establishment is betrayed to me: literally five sips, and the milkshake is gone. I look more carefully at the fountain glass, and I realize that they Tony Roma's franchise chain has carefully selected glasses that look good, but they are SMALL, and they will achieve economies of scale over thousands of shakes served that add to their bottom line. I felt like they had committed larceny against me. I did not order another.

Then the bread came out. I believe that they claim that it is "sourdough" bread. Well, you could fool me. The bread was so miniature in size that it was laughable. They did not bring out a basket. They brought out ONE piece of bread, a small loaf the diameter of a poorly-endowed man's reproductive organ, and they centered it on a serving board with the intention that you share it with the entire table. I could have eaten at least two or three pieces. Instead, I tore off two or three pieces, and pushed the rest to the girls. They were not impressed with it. The bread was somewhat warm. That is the best that you can say about it. It came with some butter. Thanks, Tony Roma's.

Then my salad came out. It was not huge, but I did not care, as I was not there for rabbit food. It was basically lettuce, and nothing else. I do not recall any tomatoes. There was a dressing that was supposed to be Caesars, but I highly doubt that any anchovies were used. My wife had a bite, and then, as the former waitress that she is, she asked, "where is the bacon?" Everybody knows that Caesar Salad is supposed to come with bacon bits sprinkled along the top. I told her "forget about it," as I was in no mood to complain about food that was clearly substandard, but she insisted on asking the waitress, and she confirmed that the restaurant does not include bacon bits on a Caesar Salad. So there is that.

Then the chicken and my steak came out. The chicken...was ok. I did not like the way that it looked, but the girls ate it. I had a bite later. It was a bit dry on the inside. The barbecue sauce was uninspiring, but then, I have been in some truly legendary barbecue establishments, and it was becoming clear that Tony Roma's is a sort of rip-off fast-food chain. Their french fries were ok. Not too weak and uncooked on the inside. I was able to rescue them with ketchup, which I just now recall was included on the plate, but was not present in a bottle on the table. Yet another economizing measure by Tony Roma's. They had a bottle of A1 Steak Sauce, and a small bottle of Tabasco available. I did not ask for anything more.

My steak....it was the largest and most expensive one that they had. It tasted good. I asked for it to be cooked medium rare, and it came out that way. But it was thin, it was not a big, fat, juicy slab of meat. There was nothing excessive about it, and if there is one thing that great steak houses understand, it is that you need to deliver a bit of excess to the exercise. After pruning the fat off of the edges, I was left with a decent steak. It was not too chewy. Thank God for that.

Total damage for food and drinks came to 1,935 baht. After mandatory 10% service charge, the subtotal was 2,128 baht. After taxes of 149 baht, the total damage was 2,278 baht.

In other words, $73, nearly $74 dollars. Definitely not worth it. We were in no mood for dessert, and we will never patronize the restaurant again. In fact, my wife reminded me that you can get a far better steak for much less at Tenderloin's Steak House on Sukhumvit soi 33. You cannot go wrong there with the Argentinian steak. It costs less than a thousand baht, and it is a succulent, big, fat slab of meat. I will go write a review about that place later.

Service was ok. As I mentioned, the place was nearly full. Upon scrutiny, it was clear that the patrons were virtually all tourists, or wealthy Thai slumming, out for an evening of "farang food." I wanted to tell them that this Tony Roma's was not delivering on that promise, but I am not the World Restaurant Police.

Bathrooms were outside the restaurant, around the corner, in the Mall. I availed myself of the handicapped bathroom (yes, I am technically handicapped, though not in a wheelchair, thank God). It was reasonably clean, with one exception that I will not bother to detail here, as I think that it crosses the line of civil discourse. Ok. Let us just say that there was one area of the commode that the cleaning girls, who were holding up one of the walls in the hallway outside, had missed when they serviced the facility. I will leave it at that.

The toilet incorporated Terminal 21's famous Japanese robotic washing features. After you complete your business, you can squirm around to your right and fat-finger the buttons until the device, which I still dimly understand, as I have never seen any nozzles, projects a gentle, warmed jet of water onto your nether regions. This time, the jet of water was perfectly aimed, and I did not have to try to adjust its aimed, so I just relaxed and enjoyed the sanitary experience. Smart folks, those Japanese. Very weird people, but very sanitary, and I applaud the Terminal 21 management for having the creativity and the courage to install them in their toilets. I cannot imagine that they were cheap, and I wonder how long that they will last, but I hope that the management maintains them. They are glorious.

So, there it is. Tony Roma's at Terminal 21 is, in my opinion, a tourist trap. It is overpriced, and not a good value. There are far better places to patronize in Bangkok where you can get a much more decadent steak for a better price.

Hope that this helps!

Enjoy.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

I dined @ Tony Roma's in Singapore as its reputation was renowned.. believing the same experience would be had @ Terminal 21.. however we were very disappointed .. the steaks we ordered were un-cooked and the salad served with the steaks looked terrible.... and the chips were stale ... certainly not the same standards as singapore... there are better steak restaurants in the building .. and cheaper... the staff were attentive and view relatively decent...but that certainly didn't cut the mustard...

Reviewed April 21, 2012

Tony Roma's around the world provides quality ribs and US staples at consistently high standards. The old restaurant in Bangkok was upstairs (a usual death knell for a restaurant) and had a uninvitingly low ceiling.
The new location at Terminal 21 has one of the great views in the city across the meeting point of Bangkok where Asoke meets Sukhumvit. Easy access from the BTS completes the benefits of the new location.
The food is great. I had Red Hots and Onion loaf on my last visit. The ribs were perfect and fell off the bone, the onion loaf was as usual decadent and my Hurricane was well made and reasonably priced for a restaurant cocktail.
Will not be our last visit.

Reviewed March 26, 2012

We ate at Tony Roma's in Terminal 21 on Sukumvet and everything, food, service, setting/view were excellent. Cost was reasonable.

We had baked potato soup, shared a salad, I ribs and she prawns. Portions were HUGE!
We took home leftovers, somethingI seldom do.

I've been to Tony Roma's worldwide and this one rates high as the others.

You won't leave hungry and not being satisfied with eat there!