“(Possibly the) Best spa in Bangkok”
Review of The Siam

The Siam
Ranked #1 of 883 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I did not stay at this hotel but visited only the spa. The location is weird and very difficult to find. Will not appeal for short trips. However, the hotel is probably the most beautiful in Bangkok. The spa experience was certainly one of the very best i had in my life. I saw the rooms too and they look stunning. Perfect for romantic trips if the price is not a problem.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Feyzi E

Reviewed August 8, 2013

Since The Siam hotel opened approximately a year ago, I have been fortunate enough to stay there several times , the highlight being a large gathering of our friends from all over Australasia at this extraordinary property in December 2012. This was for the 40th birthday of a great friend , and included guests from Australia, Indonesia. Thailand, Hong Kong, China and Vietnam, amongst others. One of the main reasons we chose the Siam for this gathering was because of Jason’s exceptional skills as a GM, host, hotelier and genuinely caring operator at an event where it was vital to us that everything went perfectly. Several of our guests had enjoyed his hospitality at the Four Seasons tented camp, the Amandari in Bali, and other leading Asian properties where Jason has previously brought his own unique magic and level of care.
Jason’s efforts both before, during and after the event were, without exception, outstanding and his ability to ‘go the extra mile’ and his eye for detail mark him, in my opinion, as one of the leading hoteliers in the region, and possibly the world.
I have noted with increasing disbelief some of the comments made in this forum about his treatment of another guest or guests, and, while I cannot comment directly on a situation where I was not present, I find the notion that someone of Jason’s outstanding reputation and credentials would ever, ever, in any way shape or form, treat guests based on nationality or race an absurdity.
My suggestion to those considering a stay at the Siam is to disregard any review that suggests that Jason’s operation of his property, which he clearly loves, in anything less then exemplary.
My friends and I continue to enjoy The Siam everytime we come to Bangkok, and love watching this unique property morph into one of the great accommodation institutions of South East Asia.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
6  Thank Lexington67
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I would say The Siam is one of the best hotels in Thailand. There is warm welcome awaits from the moment we step-in the hotel, we truly basked in the unsurpassed hospitality and personal attention we received from each and every staff member. Everything about the room was luxurious from the amenities to the décor, and we love the king-sized comfy bed. Breakfast was splendid, fresh and had a variety of dishes catering many cultures. We have tried both Thai Cuisine & the Western Restaurant for dinner, and they are more than great.

Everyone was attentive to our needs, and tried very hard to make sure we had a wonderful stay at The Siam. We were surprised that as a General Manager, Mr. Jason M. Friedman had reached every table and try to listen to the comments of every guest during the breakfast. It shows how they value the opinions of their customers.

We recommend The Siam without hesitation and we look forward to staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Hai-En
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I've been super-excited about writing this review ever since we left The Siam last week!

It's simply a matter of knowing where to start....well the central point is that this place absolutely knocked our socks off. It's fantastic. This was my sixth trip to Thailand, and the first for my partner. On previous trips, I've stayed in some generic five star high rise in or around the central area of Bangers, and so I chose this place partly due to its location mercifully slightly away from all that madness. With the shuttle boat, it's still easy getting in and out of the CBD.

I had reallllly high expectations for this place, due to the photos and reviews, and it was even better than I hoped. We were more serene in this urban oasis than where we stayed down south on Koh Racha!! (PS - never stay at The Racha in southern Thailand. I found both hotels on slh.com and they are POLES apart. Go there if you like resorts that were lovely back in 2005 and if you are also really into noisy Chinese families with multiple children...to each their own..).

The minute you arrive at The Siam, the staff attention is so disarmingly warm and personal and genuine. We had four nights at the start of the trip and then two at the end when we returned from the south. The butler service - impeccable. Ours even unpacked our suitcases!

We stayed in a Courtyard Pool Villa for the first four nights which was just breathtaking.

Something about the wonderful service - during our three week holiday, the Aussie dollar took a nosedive which was brutal for any Aussie travelling at the time! So while down south, I emailed The Siam about two days prior to our return and asked if it might be possible to downgrade our room type to a Mae Nam Suite for the final two nights. Obviously, you feel a bit embarrassed doing that and wondered if they'd allow us to do so and whether they'd be shirty about it.....they got back to us seamlessly and swiftly, confirming this was absolutely possible and making the arrangements just like that. When we returned, it was like we were family coming back home!! So many staff remembered us and we felt so special! They remembered that my boyfriend is obsessed with mangosteen and ordered some especially to the room each day and also to breakfast each morning (yeh...really loves it).

Just read the scathing review about Jason, the general manager - while I wasn't so unco as to fall off any of the beautiful chairs and injure myself I CAN say that Jason introduced himself to us and was really friendly and we were impressed with him. For the Aussies reading this, he last worked at the beautiful Qualia resort on Hamilton Island, which we stayed at last year! He's clearly doing something right - both places are absolute stand outs.

The a la carte breakfast was sensational. Like another reviewer said, we often felt like we were almost the only guests the place was so relaxed and quiet! If you're thinking of staying, even the entry level Siam Suite is breathtaking (my little sister stayed in one for the first four nights we spent there). The Mae Nam and Riverview Suites are more or less the same, except the latter is one floor higher so clearly gets riverviews. It's slightly larger too though we checked one out and it was hard to tell the difference.

The place is like a museum...you could easily spent hours walking around looking at things! The gym is probably the best hotel gym I've seen for its size, and the spa is also possibly the best I've seen in asia, and I've seen a lot. The food is animated-discussion good. A Thai princess (the 20-something daughter of the crown prince, I believe) was dining there one night!

Our experience ended as it began - both on arrival for our first stay and on departure for our second stay, 4-5 staff came down to the driveway and waved and greeted/farewelled us warmly. We were devastated to leave but cannot wait to return. Do yourself a favour and go there immediately. To The Siam - thank you such a tremendous stay and see you next time.

That is all :)

Room Tip: Even the Siam Suites are breathtaking and huge. The Mae Nam and Riverview Suites are very similar (a...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
11  Thank BrisOutwards
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We chose the Siam because of the beautiful design and more peaceful location than many of the more central luxury hotels. The boat service to the city sites was excellent as was our kind butler. We visited in March 2013 and felt like the only couple in the hotel - did not see any other guests on site! The gorgeous architecture and landscaping, with carefully curated antiques punctuating the interior was the best part of this place. You feel like you are staying in an elegant Thai mansion.
While the spa design was equally beautiful, I didn't feel the massage was that great compared to service experienced at other Asian spas. I was also disappointed to find no flowers (not even one orchid amongst the millions nearby) in the room. While the black and white decor is very chic, it was missing that pop of color and warmth that a live flower can bring to a room.
But the wonderful cooking class is definitely worth it. We loved the personal treatment, taking the tuk-tuk to the local market with the chef, learning about the Thai produce and cooking in the open-air kitchen. The artistic welcome drink while we watched the chef teaching us our first course, and the cute little booklet of recipes and apron we got to take home were just icing on the cake! I would recommend staying at The Siam.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank MCP_Traveler1A
Reviewed July 17, 2013

"One of the best hotels in Bangkok for combining contemporary style and authentic Thai accents. The 39 rooms mix wooden paneled walls, monochrome color schemes and antiques. It is situated on the banks of the Chao Praya river which provides a serene escape from the hustle and bustle of the city. The Pool Villa Riverview are some of the best, which combine the riverside views of a Riverview Suite with a private pool (the only private pool villas in Bangkok).
Obviously, you want great Thai food in Bangkok, and Chon Thai Restaurant serves some of the best I tasted during my visit. I was so impressed that I also booked into one of their cookery lessons so I could recreate their regional dishes once I returned home! That’s not the only opportunity to immerse yourself in local culture, either - the hotel also has Tai Chi, Yoga and a fully equipped Muay Thai boxing ring with tuition available at all levels. Great for a city break that feels personal and authentic to Thai culture, while remaining a top-notch hotel service- and design-wise.”

Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
2  Thank Consigliera-S
Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have never written a review for TripAdvisor, but my recent stay at The Siam was so impeccably amazing, that I must spread the news!

Everything was amazing, I could not pick a single fault.

The boat shuttle is brilliant - why sit in the smelly Bangkok streets in a cab when you can get taken by boat to the BTS stop!

The spa is the best spa in Bangkok, without a doubt.

The butler service is the best idea ever! Our butler was Jill, and we loved him to bits! Also great as a translator if you don't speak Thai - no need to worry about things getting lost in translation when your butler can do the talking for you!

The restaurant was fantastic. The breakfast menu was the best breakfast I've ever had in any hotel around the world. We tried so hard to try everything on the menu, but we couldn't get through it all. Oh well, another reason to come back!

The giftshop was beautiful. The gym - Oh WOW! Best hotel gym ever!

And to top it all off, when we left the hotel, the whole staff (that served us during our stay) all lined up and waved us goodbye when we left - I actually cried as I said goodbye - I didn't want to leave!

HIGHLY recommend. Would definitely go back, again and again. Great job guys!

Room Tip: Sometimes mosquitos when at restaurant/bar due to proximity to river. However they provided mosquit...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple