“A memorable experience with faultless service”
Review of The Siam

The Siam
Ranked #1 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok
“A memorable experience with faultless service”
Reviewed May 19, 2013

My partner and I have just returned from a most wonderful weekend away at The Siam to celebrate our anniversary. From the moment when we were collected by the hotel boat until we returned we enjoyed perfect, always attentive (without being obtrusive in any way) and professional service from all the hotel staff. Clearly the General Manager, Mr. Jason Friedman, knows how to run a luxury hotel and knows how to make each guest feel special.
The hotel itself is luxurious and beautiful with every modern convenience. Everything works too. Beautifully hand crafted furniture perfectly matched with antiques brings the interior design to a whole other level.
We had in room dining and we also dined at the two main restaurants (Deco and Sala Thai). The food was divine, well presented and with the freshest of ingredients.
This min-break couldn't have been better.
You must go!!!!

My partner wants me to add the following: -
"The Siam hotel" is a luxury hotel. A luxury hotel can not be available for everyone. It must be expensive and rare. If the hotel has not got these characteristics, then it can not be a luxury hotel.

Room Tip: If you want real seclusion, privacy and quiet the pool villa courtyard rooms are ideal. You can stil...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Amsterdam
Reviewed May 12, 2013

*review alert* I stayed here during the soft opening period last year so my comments on the hotel experience are probably not up-to-date. I am just commenting on afternoon tea which I had last week.

This is an absolutely gorgeous hotel - really a must see. The décor, the rooms (I stayed in a pool villa), the artifacts are all top notch. There are some design quirks - as beautiful as the building is, the disconnect between the main building and the waterfront is baffling. You have to physically leave one building, down some (very) dark steps to get to the next bit. A real missed opportunity. But that does not detract from the overall experience too much. The gym is fantastic, and the spa is gorgeous (although the treatment I had last year was surprisingly average - again, this was during the soft opening).

I came back recently to have another look, this time for afternoon tea. As with my hotel stay last time there was a parade of minor service issues. At first I was told, by two different people, that we absolutely couldn't have our tea by the river but had to have it in the small and rather non-descript café by the busy road, because 'the ingredients are made here'. Is it that hard to carry a tray with sandwiches to the other café? Mind you, we were the only guests at the time, so it was not as if they were particularly busy. After phoning the manager we were given the okay to take our tea by the river.

The cakes and sandwiches were of a very mixed quality, with the sandwiches being quite poor. The quality does not compare to, say, the Oriental Hotel's afternoon tea, although the price is the same.

No water was offered at any point. When I asked it was forgotten. When we finally did get it, it was not refilled. The gentleman who served us looked like he really wanted to be somewhere else. It was warm so I took one of the fans and placed it by our table - why wasn't this done for us, right away? Payment took a long time. Are these very important points? No, not really, but during my stay last year, and again this time, it was unending. We ate in the restaurant last year and the service was friendly but almost hilariously unprofessional with waiters knowing nothing about the menu or the food. At this price point this is not acceptable. A considerable amount of staff development will be necessary.

I agree with one of the other posters about there not being a focal point. When I stayed here I was alone and basically ended up in my room all the time.

The pool feels like an afterthought. It is not nearly large enough and does not make enough of its waterside location. When I was there service was non-existent. The pool is just not a nice place to spend much time.

The place is 'atmospherically' lit, meaning that it is far too dark to walk around if you are older.

The pool villa I stayed in last year now costs about 35,000 baht (about US$1000) per night, i.e. more expensive than some Amans. Simply for this reason I give it a 'not quite there yet', but I am very happy to see one property trying to create a unique experience. Let's hope they are in it for the long-haul, because that is what it will take to bring the service levels up to the price point.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
5 Thank sinbarambam
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Extremely great property with extremely professional service from the staff. Stayed in the main building with rooms that is by the Atrium. Service is impeccable and the standards are top notch. Definitely a place to stay when you want a hideaway from the city which is not too far from the city! Food and Beverage outlets are very nice and the quality is just there. Kudos to the front office staff whose name I can't remember for a very outstanding service throughout!

Only concern to me is that there is an array of antiques on the wall that can be scary looking at night but all is well so far!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed May 3, 2013 via mobile

Located in the bustling area of Bangkok but when you go inside the Siam, you can feel tranquility. The restaurant has a view of the Chaopraya river thus give you private ambiance with your friends or your love one. Antique Thai house standing among coconut trees renders authentic Thai cuisine savory. Absorb real Thai style here.

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank syahoo
Reviewed May 3, 2013

What a Hotel....unbelievable.....a definite must see.

Went for afternoon tea and had a wonderful experience.The food was great, the service was great, the ambiance was great.

After afternoon Tea we asked if we could see one of the Hotel Rooms and they were very kind in taking us through a plush,elegant, luxury, unforgettable room tour.I am saving up(may take a year) to spend just a night here....simply stunning.

Then we hopped on their private boat for a beautiful 30 minute ride back to Silom Pier.

Wonderful afternoon....will be back!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 22, 2013

This hotel is beautiful. The modern building has breathtaking antiques displayed in the public areas and in the rooms. It stretches right down to the river and that's where the bar is! What a wonderful place for a drink. It is small and peaceful - a true retreat from the hustle and bustle of Bangkok.

Room Tip: I cant imagine there would be a bad room in this hotel!
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Deirdre M
Konstanz, Germany
Reviewed April 21, 2013 via mobile

The Siam, as expected - from other reviewers, write-ups, and its website - is a beautiful hotel. Its tasteful Art Deco style is brought out in the lamps, flooring, and even in the structure of the walls. the gems of antique curios littered throughout the hotel are delightful and cute. It felt like staying at somebody's house, a mansion of a very rich reclusive uncle of sorts.

We had the most basic room and even then, it was very large, a sitting room separated by a wall panel and heavy draperies to a large bedroom and then finally to the oversized bathroom. The bath fittings were Hansgrohe - no expense spared - the bath tub luxurious. Even the toiletries smelled wonderful.

So, it was a beautiful hotel, with good service throughout, very good food - at cafe cha (high tea set included very well made scones and real clotted cream) or at Chon the main restaurant (as breakfast was included, I tried a variety of dishes and all were delicious, especially the bakery basket, fried noodles, French toast), or at Art Deco bar, it was memorable, the free boat shuttle to central pier was convenient, the cooking class I signed up for was wonderful and fun (many thanks to Chef Thawachin and another female Thai chef). I particularly enjoyed the tableware - they were all carefully selected- and room service was efficient and quick and friendly. The fish ball noodles was light but very complex and sophisticated. Wish I could have it again. There was also free wifi, and good tv selection with free movies that encouraged lounging in bed and relaxing. While we didn't try the spa, it looked beautiful and I'm sure, very good (but costly).

But I wouldn't return again. The problem with The Siam is that there is no place to 'hang out'. Yes the room was large and I'm sure those pool villa suites even more so but still, I'd want a cafe that is air conditioned with at least a few other people around. But cafe cha was only open on weekends from 2pm. And only then, a very small section was air conditioned and the other parts with all tide beautiful hanging ferns were too damn hot. Chon was not air conditioned, at least not at ground level. Art Deco bar was, but as with all others, it felt so empty.

Perhaps it was the low season, and it might be a good thing if you were there having a torrid affair and want utmost privacy, but it felt almost soulless. And in a hotel like this, where I would love to hang out in, there was no place to as the corridors were too warm, the air conditioned cafe not open, many areas non air conditioned. But, heading out is no easy task as it's not exactly central (eg compared with the clusters of hotels like Hyatt, four seasons), and the boat ride to central pier was a good 35 mins in the blistering heat. The pool was also very small, so it wasn't a viable hang out option, with deck chairs a level below the pool so one couldn't simply slip out of the chair and slide into the pool easily.

Perhaps the management could glass off the ceiling in the central courtyard by cafe cha, air condition the entire area, and there, a cool oasis with hanging ferns and fountains and inviting tables and chairs. That would draw the crowds. Also, offer ice bottled water for guests taking the boat shuttle - shouldn't that be a given??

For the price we paid, I did expect a lot. Everything was marked up - from an iced tea to hiring a car to take us to the airport - all of which I don't mind as it IS a luxury hotel, but it didn't deliver what it promised to. I expected more.

It was en experience to have stayed at The Siam but If I could I would simply have an afternoon weekend tea and roam around the hotel and not even stay a night. BKK is v competitive with the range of hotels so net net, this was good, but not quite worth it.

• Stayed April 2013