“Awesome, unique and special Hotel!”
Review of The Siam

The Siam
Ranked #1 of 879 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed August 24, 2012

I just stayed 3 nights at The Siam and are returning for 2 more nights. I think it is best to put it this way....you stay at hotels such as the MO Bangkok, but you "experience" The Siam. It is a totally different concept, design and experience staying there than any other hotel in the city - including the MO and Peninsula.

In fact, in talking with the outstanding staff, The Siam recruited and hired mainly from resorts. They wanted to create an "urban resort" and I think they have pulled it off very well. From Penny who helped with our reservations and plans to North our Butler and the wonderful service of Jone and Bom at the restaurant (as well as the other very nice waitresses) it was a relaxing, personalized stay - an oasis amidst the chaos of Bangkok.

In addition, their spa, Opium, is really outstanding! It is beautifully laid out and the treatments using Sodashi products and specialized massages such as the muay thai (a great mix of Thai and Swedish techniques) really make it all the more relaxing. Special thanks to khun Sombat, Wan, and Roung for the wonderful service and excellent massage.

In addition, you can see the heart and soul of the owner poured into the place. In fact, he decorated and placed his antiques himself throughout the property. You are actually staying in a museum as such and I was told they are making booklets with information on the history of many of the pieces throughout the hotel as sort of a self-guided tour.

The Siam will only get better in time...it is an eccentric hotel and, for me, a wonderful "experience".

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Siam

Reviewed August 14, 2012

I stayed at this newly-open luxury hotel from July 16 to July 17, and it turned out to be my best hotel experience in Bangkok so far!

I emailed them in advanced for some questions, and the staff replied me rapidly and sufficiently. When I arrived the hotel, the staff at the front desk (a cute girl who always wore smiley face and always greeted me with my name) kindly took me a private guide and introduced me about the hotel. Everything about this hotel was breath-taking- from the décor of the lobby and public areas, the amazing Thai antique collections which blended into the interior design harmonically, beautiful scenery by the riverside, and not to mention the guest room. I was surprisingly upgraded to the pool villa, and it was definitely extraordinary!

I have to emphasize the service- truly helpful and warming. For example, I just asked the staff how can I find a convenience store nearly, and the doorman not only told me how to go, but accompanied me all the way from the hotel to the store, waited for me doing my shopping, and then accompanied me back to the hotel! The very next morning when I did some exercise at the gym, the staff asked me if I needed some help, and it turned out to be an one-hour personal training class ( I initially just asked him for lifting some weight if I lose my strength)!

The breakfast was definitely the best a-la-carte one I ever had- lots of variations (the long list worth a one-week stay to taste without getting bored), and they were really tasty and delicate.

If there was any flaw I found during my stay, I would like to say just some little technical problems (like the water pressure and temperature, too little equipments in the gym) and it surely would not damage to the perfection of this hotel. The other disadvantage would be the location- it is kinda remote from the downtown of Bangkok. Even though the hotel did have shuttle boat to the BTS station, but it only ran until 6pm. However, once you stay in such an amazing place, I pretty sure that you would not like to spend too much time outside the hotel.

I truly recommend this fabulous place to someone who crave for high-quality stays in Bangkok without a tight budget and who is not first time in Bangkok (because otherwise you would have many places to go and leave to little in this place and probably end up with pity). Just go there, stay a little longer (I personally think at least two nights) and indulge yourself in this well-executed, colonial-style urban wonderland. I will definitely go back and experience the joy, like being in the paradise.

Room Tip: Every room is fabulous, even the basic type of suite. But the pool villa is breath-taking, and it ma...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed July 23, 2012

I was recommended to stay at The Siam by friends of mine who had visited the hotel within the first week of opening.

Normally before I would stay in a new property, I would allow a "breaking in" period, but my friends - hardened travelers - could not have spoken of it more highly, and as I was to be in Bangkok for a break, I thought I would take a chance. I was not dissapointed, and could not have been more pleasantly surprised.

I can never understand guests who stay in a hotel or visit a restaurant within 1 or 2 months of opening, then complain that things are not up to their expectations, particularly through a "soft opening" period.

So, it was with trepidation that I checked in, and from the moment that I arrived in the lobby of the hotel and was met by the General Manager, Jason and escorted by my butler, Mr North, to my room, I knew that I was in safe hands.

The butlers in some hotels are unable to differentiate between good, discrete and intrusive service - a very fine line - but North and his team managed this expertly

Jason 's presence was evident in the hotel throughout my stay handling even the smallest request of the most irritating guest, personally ensuring that everyone was happy.

A real host and the beating heart of the hotel.

The rooms are frankly beautiful - very spacious, designed by Bill Bensley who, amongst other properties designed the Four Seasons Tented Camp in Chiang Rai, and the Four Seasons in Langkawi.

My room was situated at the back of a small private courtyard that had a plunge pool and a spiral staircase that led to a roof terrace with 2 daybeds and very nice views over the river.

The beds are extremely comfortable and the linen and towels are of the highest quality. Huge TV with great range of channels and movies on demand

The bathrooms are just beautiful with lots of natural light, separate shower and (very large) bath and twin vanities. Great toiletries. A large changing area with lots of storage space if you are staying for a while.

The food was beautiful - a range of both Western and Thai dishes - well prepared by the Chef who used to work for GHM.

There is a great gym, and a wonderful Spa, which whilst I did not try, had a range of wonderful treatments completely unique to this property.

An added plus, is that there is a free shuttle boat up the river which docks just beyond the Shang-ri-la Hotel which leaves several times per day, and whilst I have been to Bangkok many times, I never tire of seeing the city from this perspective.

The hotel was a labor of love for the owners, who are using the spaces throughout the hotel to display their considerable artwork collection culled from over 20 years of hunting in local markets and auction houses not only from Thailand and Asia, but throughout the world.

This is still being installed - and many pieces are are in the rooms - but once this is in place, it will offer a very unique place to stay in Bangkok, and in fact as if to underscore this, some of the buildings in the public areas belonged to Jim Thomson and were installed there from his collection.

To address some of the concerns raised in previous postings:

There was little or no evidence of construction workers in the hotel - all buildings seem to be complete. There was no noticeable smell in the bathrooms from the drainage. Food was excellent in all meal periods, particularly for the one night that we had dinner in the restaurant, and my friend who was traveling with me had no trouble getting an appointment in the Spa.

I cannot recommend this hotel highly enough. I did not want to leave.

Room Tip: Would recommend a room with a plunge pool which has a view from the upper deck of the river
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SunMoonLake
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Thoroughly enjoyed our (too short) stay at The Siam. Although it is only their soft opening, the hotel is running very smoothly and apart from some building work still going on (which didn't bother us in the slightest), you would have thought it had been up and running for months. The staff were fantastic, very well trained and charming. They accommodated our needs very well, especially as we had our toddler with us.

The hotel is beautifully appointed, positioned nicely on the riverfront. Although about 30mins from central Bangkok, the journey on the hotels own boat is very enjoyable. I would say this hotel is more of a destination hotel and not a city hotel, and it is nice to be away from the hustle and bustle on central with still easy access to it.

The food was delicious, and the facial I had at the spa was very good too.

What I enjoyed most was just how nice everything looks, our room (upgraded to a pool villa, thaknk you so much!) was one of the nicest we have stayed in and is perfect for a small family to enjoy. The builldings and design are just amazingly well executed.

Thank you for a lovely stay and I hope we can come again for a relaxing weekend soon.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2012

I just stayed at the eargerly anticipated The Siam Hotel Bangkok - a great new hideaway hotel on the river in Bangkok somewhere near the Grand Palace, the National Library, the Dusit Zoo and all those interesting Royal and official parts of Bangkok that I must admit as a frequent visitor to Bangkok I now seldom go to. This was a hotel I have been anticipating for quite a while and was already expecting it to be cool and interesting, but seeing the place for the first time it has serious wow factor much beyond what I was expecting.

There are only 39 suites, not all in service yet as the hotel is still brand new (yet already has a kind of timeless feel) but for such a small number of rooms the grounds are unexpectedly enormous, with sprawling gardens, beautiful reflecting pools and passageways throughout, mixed with antiques and artworks from the owners, a celebrity family in Bangkok, which gives it the feel of a large extravagant private home. For people who know the Amanresorts, this is kind of as if Aman had made a city resort in Bangkok - perhaps also because the GM Jason Friedman, who is very much the "hands on" genial host of the hotel, used to be a GM with Aman for a number of years.

The rooms are amazing, reminded me somehow of a Moroccan riyadh, though in Sino-Thai style, with private courtyards, spial staircases leading to a private upper verandah and your own big plunge pool - before you even get to the massive rooms inside. I especially loved the huge high ceilinged bathrooms. I don't normally spend all that much time in my hotel in Bangkok, but was very content just to laze around and soak up the environment for most of the weekend.

Although the atmosphere was very quiet because the hotel is still brand new and not all the rooms are ready yet, the food was good and the staff all very friendly and keen to please - could be a bit slow sometimes, but nothing really to complain about. Some friends came by to visit and we had a nice relaxing lunch in the main restaurant (late so we were the only ones there) and were comfortable just sitting around for the afternoon and strolling through the grounds. We also had a great Thai dinner with some other friends in the private Thai dining rooms which are original Jim Thompson houses that have been preserved within the grounds.

The only comment I had was that there weren't phones next to the bed, but apparently thats just because the really cool phones that they have had specially custom made are still on the way - it's only been open for a few days after all, and with that in mind, everything else was surprisingly smooth.

Once the word gets around, this is going to be "the" place to stay in Bangkok, for those who like the kind of secluded luxury experience, and especially if you arent in any kind of rush to get into the city for appointments and so on. And it would be absolutely ideal for a special celebration like a landmark birthday where you could get a group of friends together and you'd really feel like you had your own magnificent palace to yourselves. I didnt get to try it, but apparently the hotel operates its own luxury boat service along the river which is then only 10 minutes from downtown.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
7  Thank Paul H
Reviewed June 22, 2012

Our introduction to the The Siam started with a private boat ride from Saparn Thaksin up river to the hotel. The staff were very friendly, offered cool face towels and drinking water, and pointed out areas of interest along the way. Upon arrival, at the private pier, we were greeted warmly by the staff and there was an immediate feeling of serenity and distance from the bustling city of Bangkok just outside. We were escorted to our private pool villa, by the head butler (each of the 38 suites will have their own private butler) and were blown away at the beauty of the space, the attention to decorative detail and the height of the ceilings in the suite. The private courtyard jacuzzi pool is perfect for two with water fall features flowing from the wall, echoing soothing sounds throughout the suite. All the amenities are great, stocked mini-bar, quality soaps, huge soft bath towels, lots of fresh drinking water, and incredibly comfortable robes. The most luxurious, for me, was the quality of sleep. Soft linens, and selection of pillows (down and synthetic), and perfectly comfortable mattress. Air con and light controls located next to the bed. Housekeeping was efficient and spotless, we never even saw them when the room was serviced or at evening turn down.

I could go on and on about the food. The whole dining experience, both nights, was perfection-yummy cocktails, service with smiles and enthusiasm, timely service, great music selection, and the food we have not stopped talking about. My next trip to Bangkok will definitely include dinner at The Siam. The breakfast menu was delicious, home made breads, assortment of fresh juices, and plenty of choices. The breakfast area located in the shady area created by the beautiful teak houses (which were re-located from Ayutthaya) is such a nice place to enjoy your tea/coffee and watch the life of the river pass by.

As the hotel was in its soft opening, there was still work being done on the property, but it was not an interruption to our lovely stay and we never even left the hotel grounds. The Siam offers a genuine and unique experience which will lead it to becoming one of the best luxury hotels in Bangkok.

Impeccable personalized service and a fantastic team. Best of luck to The Siam, I look forward to our return visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank GeneralManagerRBC
Reviewed June 22, 2012

The Siam Hotel Bangkok (http://thesiamhotel.com) truly is a marvel nested within the historical district of Dusit in Bangkok, that came to its glory around 1900 ad and was established by King Chulalongkorn.
Though not in the center of today's Bangkok, the hotel is a beautiful 10 minute boat ride away (in a hotel owned boat) to the transportation hub at "Sapan Thaksin" which offers all means of transportation for venturing further into the Central Business District (CBD) and its shopping hot spots.
The hotel is right on the river and whilst sitting at the bar for a sunset cocktail overlooking the waters of the Chao Phraya river one would not imagine being in the multi-million city of Bangkok.
A quiet feel surrounds the property and the thousands of antiques give plenty of opportunity to distract from the everyday life.
The owners, a family with musical background and a love for antiques have literally built the hotel around their collection of amazing anqiques. Don't expect 'musk' smell of wooden artifacts but expect a modern room perfectly built to cater the treasures. So every room has different furnishing not compromising with the needs of a well-travelled high-end guest.
It was a true pleasure to stay at The Siam Hotel in Bangkok and I can only recommend you to go and experience it for yourself.

Room Tip: Choose the ones right on the river. They might be the top of the range but worth the money.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo