“Great value, but set your expectation straight”

The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok
Ranked #314 of 891 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed November 27, 2012

I felt compelled to write my first Tripadvisor review due to this hotel.

Using a combination of the tripadvisor reviews, rankings and the hotel website, I've selected many hotels in the past and was always met with a facility that was close to what I expected. Not this one.

This not a 3-star hotel. This is at best a 2-start hotel. The staff was very helpful and the hotel is quite close to the airport making it very convenient for our early morning flight. The WiFi was perfectly fine during our stay. However, it's located on a very sketchy street and there are not a lot of options for anything.

More importantly, the room we were given (on the second floor, which is the first floor of rooms) was not remotely close to the photos available on the hotel website. It was a king-bed room with a mini fridge and a bathroom without a proper shower (a small room with a sink, toilet and a shower head). The furniture and sheets/towels were very dated and the room quite dim.

We still felt it was a great value for the stay, however felt the website was very misleading (more than the usual glorified, wide-angle professional photos of any hotel) and the reviews a bit hyped.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Judy K
Supalurk, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded December 1, 2012

Dear Ms Judy,

Thank you for your comment, we will definitely take your comment to consideration. We will adjust our website to give you more information and make it clearer for you. We always try our best to give you high standard of service and looking forward to welcome you again in near future

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

I arrived to a much more luxurious room than expected - big bed - nice shower - fridge - what more do you need? Oh and aircon that they kindly turned on for me prior to my arrival so the room was nice and cold when i got there which is a god send in bkk this time of the year. I was under the impression it was close to markets - its not. Its close to the airport and for my menial 17 dollars a night they were happy to meet me at the airport which is awesome for first time visitors but i never used the service but was met at the hotel by a local friend. One thing that stood out more than anything was the staff. People make the party and the staff are too cool. I found myself with no money returning from the market with the help of a taxi driver driving me around for over half an hour to drop and leaving me at the wrong place after accumilating his fair. I recommend a gps of sorts like google maps id you gunna stay in the less popular places as i do. To make things worse - all three local atms were out of service/communication. Quite a scary concept being stuck without money in Thailand. I managed to scrape a few coins together for a noodle dinner from the local street vendor who was kind enough to substitute me for the food. love the Thai people. The next morning i explained my situation to the staff and a one calles 'Pol' pronounced paul (all Thais have nick names) immidiately pulled out his money and gave me 100bht to get a taxi to the local shopping center to a working atm. He then came back and said he was leaving soon and would be happy to take me. We then took the local 'bus' which is a pickup decked out with chairs like those on safari but with a roof. He then took me to the atms, made sure i came right and then back to the bus stop and waited for the bus with me and told driver where to stop - what a ledgend!! 'Pol' is a credit to the country and a massive plus to the hotel. Needless to say i returned his money with a healthy tip as i didnt even use it with his help and the 7bht bus - which he paid for as well!! Anyone who travels will know regardless of the quality of he hotel - the staff are the ones who make it a pleasent stay or not. I just hope that guy ends up running the place - its an absolute hidden gem close to the airport. Absolutely perfect for a traveler looking for no hassles on ther first night. If it was closer to the city i would be staying there for my whole stay - thank you to the staff for being so awesome and Pol for being an absolute legend!! Cant fault the place and - value for money. Would be hard pressed to find anything better - im gunna try but i have doubts about success with this. Well worth it.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review and comment of the hotel. Our staffs are hope that you have present stayed with us. I will pass your comment to Mr. Pol, and looking forward to see you again in near future.

Reviewed November 15, 2012

We wanted a hotel close to the airport for an early morning departure without the hassle and risks of the Bangkok traffic. This hotel was a great choice. Location is convenient, facilities are very adequate for budget hotel but what really makes this a superb choice is the friendliness and attitude of the staff. They all go beyond your expectations to make your stay enjoyable.I had been stupid enough to leave my camera in the taxi on the way to this hotel. With only the information that it was a pink taxi (there must be ten of thousands of them in Bangkok) and a vague recollection of the driver's name, they assured me that they would try to trace it. Later that evening, against all the odds, they presented my camera to me full intact.
Cant praise this hotel enough.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank R0b_Amsterdam

Dear guest,

Thank you for your review, and we hope you enjoyed your stay and looking forward to see you again in near future.

Reviewed November 14, 2012

This hotel was great ! We flew in around 2 am and had free shuttle service that we waited about 10 min for at the airport .. You have to go to aot counter exit 4 level 2 and tell them what hotel. We arrived and had juice waiting .. Our room was on a high level which is good .. With a balcony and king size bed. The rooms aren't huge but perfect size for while in transit. Highly recommend due to the affordable price , cleanliness , and distance to airport .

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Kaitpaige17

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your reviews. We hope that you enjoyed your stay in Bangkok and looking forward to see you again for your next transit

Regards,

Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here the night before I flew home to the UK. It was a really pleasant surprise, especially getting a complimentary glass of pineapple juice upon arrival. The room was really neat and clean, with a modern yet homely feel- plus the bed was very comfortable. They even provided a shuttle to the airport the next morning. The only down side i would say was the food- I had Pad Thai which wasn't really up to scratch with others that i had tasted over my stay. Having said that though, I did have some tomato soup on arrival which was yummy..!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your reviews, I have mention your comment to our chef and will try to improve accordingly. Looking forward to see you again on your next trip

Regards,

Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

This is a lovely hotel really close to the airport. Stayed here for one night and had the best sleep ever! Rooms are so comfy, most esp the bed - soft pillows!! A rare find in Thailand! Tv in room has some English speaking channels too! Shower is big! Also free water, crisps and biscuits!
The cafe attached to the hotel is run by a lovely lady - Food was really delicious!! I would stay here again for sure.
A great hotel for anyone flying out the following day away from the hustle and bustle of the city.
Also you get a free transfer to and from
the airport which is an added bonus!

• Stayed: October 2012
Supalurk, Guest Relations Manager at The Phoenix Hotel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded October 14, 2012

Thank you for you review and recommendation. We glad that you had present stay at our hotel. We always try to serve you at our best and any recommendation also welcome. Looking forward to welcome you again in near future.

Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a gem of a hotel, perfect for a stop over if you have an early flight the next day a late arrival. Rooms are brand new and staff the most sincere we found in all of our Thai travels. Free minibar with chocolates and soft drinks a very nice touch.the restaurant was very reasonably priced and nice atmosphere. Great value for money and very tasty. Overall a nice way for us to avoid the hustle and bustle of an early morning journey from koh San rd.

• Stayed: October 2012

Thank you for you review. We are glad that you had present stay with us. We are looking forward to welcome you again in near future.