De Talak Hostel
Ranked #164 of 1,345 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I have stayed here a few times now and am always impressed. The hostel is clean and the rooms are big and comfortable with air conditioners :) There are 2 different common areas with books, TV and guitar. The internet is super fast! The lady who runs the hostel speaks very good English and is always willing to help with advice about the local area, Bangkok and traveling to other parts of Thailand. The atmosphere is always friendly but not too much of a party atmosphere which is a good thing in my opinion... Just down the street there is a huge food market. The hostel offers free coffee, tea, drinking water and ice cream!!! It is a really lovely place to stay. It is just near the MRT but a little bit tricky to find as it is down a quiet street... but I asked one of the local people and they pointed me in the right direction.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank 293916Megan

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Me and my friend stayed at the Hostel for more then one week and we both loved it already after a few seconds we walked in. The staff was really friendly and helpful. Maybe the location is not everyone's taste but if you wanna be flexible and not appreciate to much to stay at the main touristic area around the khao san, it's totally fine - you can reach the Metro in a few minutes and even if you wanna go to khao san with taxi its 100 Baht. The rooms are nice and clean, the hangout area on the first floor is so cozy, there are also a few computer to use. Downstairs is a kitchen with free coffe as much as you want, always sth. to mumble for free, a fridge and washing machines. Outside are two big tables which are cozy enough to hang out there the whole day. I totally recomment this place.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank Daontour
Reviewed June 13, 2013

I especially like a wooden rest deck with a pyramid of pillows and the "information wall" with maps, tips, etc. Very helpful staff - no problem with later payment or taking shower after check-out. And they have free ice cream!:) Great location, especially for those who like local markets.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank houhouhou
Reviewed March 28, 2013

The hostel is located near an MRT station, but you still have to walk a bit to reach it. Not bad, but not the best in the heat. As for check-in, the two ladies at the front desk were nice and welcoming. I stayed in a double room with a private bath and it was very basic, but clean. The bed was hard, but was surprisingly not that uncomfortable. One of the complaints in regards to the room were these microscopic bugs on the floor near the door and a couple in the bathroom. A couple also were on the table. I could've complained, but I figured there could be far worse and they did no harm. My view from the window also wasn't the best, but that's minor.

A good tip is to bring ear plugs. Since my room was near the stairwell, I could hear everything. This hostel also included free wi-fi and worked well except they shut it off at a certain time in the night and it didn't work until 7am. There were also free computers to use, which I never had to, but good for those who don't have their own device. Water was provided for free which was good in that heat. Overall, it is a good place to stay if you are on a budget and since I was alone, the double room wasn't a bad deal.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Veronica K
Reviewed March 24, 2013

It was my first time to Bangkok. I wanted to stay somewhere near the MTR (subway) system because I wanted to be able to travel with my own bags from the airport. Getting there through the MRT was very simple and I felt safe. A staff member met me at the train station and walked me to the hostel. The people were very inviting and the neighborhood was quiet and safe. They had fast internet and a large lounge area with great movie selection. The rooms were simple, 6 bed dorms with bathroom inside the room. The shower was warm water and the beds were comfortable. But the sheets did not seem clean, we had new guest show up and I'm pretty sure they never changed the sheets for him. The floors were also dirty, but free of pest. It was very far away from all the sightseeing. Even being next to the MTR you have to take two trains to get to most sights or go for a walk to the river and figure out how to catch a river ferry. If I came back I would not stay here because it was too far from main attractions.

Room Tip: Its in a very tall building without a lift, so If you have heavy bags try to stay on the third floor...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 21, 2013

it is well equiped hostel, providing good value for your money.
good place to reach the airport, train station is very close by.
rooms are tidy, stuff friendly...we enjoyed the stay.

...and they offer ice cream for free :)

we can fully recommend.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank kusabi
Reviewed March 14, 2013

Odd location, but near to Queen Sikrit MRT, just one stop from Sukhumvit where you can connect to the Sky train. The hostel itself has nice rooms (we had a well appointed double) and really good facilities (wifi, washing machine, etc) and an absolute wealth of information on trips, getting around, food in the area, etc. Staff were very matter-of-fact, almost officious, when we were checking in, but mellowed later in the day. We were allowed to check in early for no charge as our room was ready. All in all, a very positive experience.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple