“Not quite what I was hoping”

Asoke Residence Sukhumvit
Ranked #63 of 1,213 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Campbell, CA
“Not quite what I was hoping”
Reviewed March 10, 2012

Well, actually, the room was fine and pool and breakfast were okay. However, I booked this hotel because I thought the location would be convenient to the airline train. On the map, it looks like it is fairly close, but in reality, I wouldn't want to haul my luggage from the hotel to the train station again.

When I checked in, they requested a 1,000 THB deposit. I don't really have a problem with this, however, they didn't give me a receipt for it, which I don't like. The next morning when checking out, I really can't recall if I got the 1,000 THB back or not.

This hotel has the same problem as many Thai hotels on all levels of service, they don't air condition the lobby and hallways. When walking in from outside, it feels worse than being outside because the air is stagnant. But as I mentioned, many hotels in Thailand do this.

The room we got was pretty nice. It has a place for a kitchenette including a sink, and a microwave, but no stove. However, since we had breakfast included we were not planning on cooking ourselves so was okay with that.

The pool was refreshingly cool. This is because it gets no direct sunlight during the day as it is nestled between two large buildings. I liked this, others may find it a bit too cool.

When we went to check out, we discovered that there were very few taxis going north on Asoke towards the airlink station. After waiting for what seemed like ten minutes, we decided to walk. This wasn't a terrible walk, but with luggage, the steep steps up and over the canal were painful, not to mentioned crossing some side streets. When I got to the station fifteen minutes later, I was soaked in sweat.

All and all, I thought the hotel was nice, but the location wasn't doing it for me so I don't plan to stay there again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DavidinCampbell

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
London
Reviewed February 20, 2012

This is a hotel apartment sort of hotel with a kitchen and importantly for me, a balcony. The bed was really comfortable and the bathroom of good quality and very clean.

Maid service was clean and efficient and the reception staff very friendly.

One negative is that my curtains were not sufficiently thick to block out the large amount of light streaming in from the building opposite, but I got used to it. The pool is smaller than the photographs suggest, but it was a welcome place to cool off and wash off the smog of Bangkok.

One drawback is the 10 minute walk to Sky train, which invariably took longer than ten minutes as Bangkok streets are very crowded, however, the Metro was much closer.

As with everywhere in Bangkok, taxis are hit and miss for two reasons, simply too much stationary traffic to even bother getting a taxi , taxi drivers are picky about who they pick up and where they want to go...be prepared to try 2 or 3 taxis before getting into one. Beware of scams, get out of any taxi that refuses to put a meter on.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Travelers also viewed these Bangkok hotels
FX Hotel Metrolink Makkasan
Thong Lor & Ekamai
The Residence on Thonglor
The Residence on Thonglor
#16 of 1,213 in Bangkok

Been to Asoke Residence Sukhumvit? Share your experiences!

Additional Information about Asoke Residence Sukhumvit

Property: Asoke Residence Sukhumvit
Address: 235/20-25 Sukhumvit 21 , Klong Toey Nue, Wattana, Bangkok 10110, Thailand
Location: Thailand > Bangkok > Sukhumvit
Business Center with Internet Access Fitness Center with Gym / Workout Room Free High Speed Internet ( WiFi ) Restaurant Room Service Swimming Pool
Ranked #63 of 1,213 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Hotel Class:4 star — Asoke Residence Sukhumvit 4*
TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Agoda, Expedia, Orbitz, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Priceline, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your Asoke Residence Sukhumvit reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.