“Airport Opportunists Scam!”

Princess Suvarnabhumi Airport Residence
Ranked #708 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 20, 2014

Poet me start this review by saying that I am aware that I only paid $25 for the room. I will follow to by saying that on my way into Thailand I paid $30 for a room, and had a very pleasant experience.

People need to know that this place is basically a racket, praying on economy minded travelers.

The bed: a box spring dressed in bed sheets. I read many reviews that the bed were hard. After two weeks in Thailand at variously starred accommodations, I realized that most of the beds seemed somewhat hard, so I didn't bother to search for another hotel for my last night in Thailand. Upon arriving in the stark room, my boyfriend and I dismissed our disappointment in the lack of decor or charm by reminding ourselves that all we needed was a decent bed to sleep in for one night. Much to our dismay, when we sat on the bed, there was no give at all. I examined more closely, and discovered that they were passing a box spring off as a mattress. My heart sank, as my body had already suffered several days of less than optimal bedding, and this was like a slap in the face.

I actually called the front desk to tell them that the bed was very hard. Once I was connected to an English-capable employee, I was told that it was because we asked for a king bed (my boyfriend is 6'4" and doesn't fit in twin or queen beds). Then I was promptly told (contrary to what he had just said) that the tin beds would be harder. I proceeded to tell him that I was aware that it was a box spring and not a mattress, and he responded by saying "Thank you very much for the information, bye, bye." ((Jaw Dropped to the Floor!!)

I did my best to shrug off this affront, and assume that things couldn't get any worse. They did. We were quite hungry, and decided to go to the hotel restaurant, which we later discovered was the only restaurant nearby. We were brought cold tomato soup, which *I swear* was mayonnaise and catchup in a bowl, vegetable fried rice, which consisted of over cooked rice and minis clue fragments of vegetable stubs, spring rolls that I can't even adequately describe in their complete un-appealingness, and the most slimy, flavorless Pad Thai I've ever tasted. You'd think that you could at least count on them to get the Thai food right. Nope.

I then decided to try to find a restaurant for us to go to. Wifi in the room was dismally slow. I tried to call a restaurant (when I finally found a well reviewed one near the airport), and was told that I had to use the lobby pay phone to make phone calls ((what?!?!?). I went down to the front desk to complain (exasperated as I was), and was met with complete indifference by a young, pretty receptionist who looked at me blankly when I told her that the bed wasn't even meant to be slept on, the food was terrible, and I was going to give them the worst possible review online (I added this last bit to try to get a rise out of her). She simple shrugged her shoulders and said "you can put in on the website." Obviously, she is fairly confident that there will be no shortage of travelers who will find their way to their hotel with no other recourse for their short stay.

If it had been just the bed, just the food, just the wifi, just the Tv (100 channels, 98 of them Thai, at an International Airport hotel), or just the rude staff, I could have dealt, but all of them made my last night in Thailand pretty unbearable.

Don't stay here!!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christy F

Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in the hotel due to the closeness to the airport and the fact that it has a pool etc

Positives
Very spacious room with a fridge and kettle as well as a balcony overlooking the river
Big bed
Staff were friendly
Pool was big and always in the sunlight
7 eleven / tesco lotus and street food close by

Negative
2 sun loungers and the pool was always busy
Very local area nothing to do in terms of sight seeing

Advice
I decided on room only for around 350bht (£7) a night which was a good price for Bangkok and the room I got. however please note that the hotel charge 150bht (£3) for the airport shuttle if it's not included within your room price. If you were to get the airport transfer included with the room you would be paying approx 600bht if not more per night so technically you would be paying an extra 200bht a night just for a transfer (the most expensive taxi ride ever) this is ok if you are only staying for one night.
Similarly with breakfast it is also cheaper to pay separate 150bht than what the prices were showing online.

I would definitely return to this hotel as a stop over before flying.

Thanks :)

Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 16, 2014

The hotel is a decent one taking into consideration its location near the airport and cost.
Rooms were big and spacious with a balcony.Toilet was ok, nothing great.Wifi was decent.
There was a pool too.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank SunnySarvagya
Reviewed January 12, 2014

Unhelpful, uninterested staff. I had to ask for bug spray as my room was full of ants- they grunted and handed me a spray without offering any help. Didn't get the room I booked - instead of a pool view deluxe I got a regular room with a view of the car park! Website stated it had a shuttle to a nearby shopping centre which they said was untrue. Breakfast was cold eggs. Only two chairs by the pool so most people had to lie on the ground.

The hotel is fine for what most people use it for but don't expect all the lavish promises of the website! Shower was hot and fine and the beds were big. From most of the reviews I've read most of the hotels around the area have similar issues so maybe it's the best of a bad lot.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Katiefunne
Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

We had just left Koh Chang 6 hours 15 mins away & stayed here on our last night in Thailand before our early morning flight the next day... Going dark when we arrived and dark when we left

Close to the airport, but located next to a river in the burbs of Bangkok (free transfer on our booking - 8Km's - 10 mins ) - but I did notice a price list in reception for hourly transfers (on the hour every hour) if this wasn't included in your booking fee (150Bht (£3) not sure if this is per person or not - probably Cheaper to wave a metered taxi down on the street if it is per person)

We booked two rooms without the breakfast option (1 x twin & 1 x double) the rooms are absolutely Huge, very clean decorated in neautral colors, with highly polished tiled floor and have great AC, TV, coffe making facilities and fridge, plenty of plug sockets for charging phones etc and red hot water in the shower... The bed was like sleeping on a concrete block it was that hard.

There is a good sized pool and a gym, but I can't comment on the quality of them as I didn't have time to sample them due to time constraints.

Reception were very helpful with aiding our pizza order from "The Pizza Company" a few blocks and half an hour delivery time away.
(Very nice by the way).

I would stay here again in a transient capacity for 1 night, as 1night on that rock hard bed is all I could take.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank Thebates22
Reviewed December 26, 2013

We rayed here for one night before traveling into the rest of Thailand. For $20 for a double we had a nice shower and good sized room. Restaurant food was mediocre but very cheap. Bed was uncomfortable but for $20 I feel like we got a good value.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 20, 2013

My partner and I's 1.5 day stay ended in a shouting match in the lobby because they insisted we needed to pay for a triple room after a friend that lives in Bangkok came to meet us for coffee at the hotel before we left for the airport to catch our flight. She spent maybe 10 minutes maximum in our room.

They eventually backed down, but not before both of the "ladies" behind the front desk had properly screamed at us at the top of their lungs. While the manager made insulting personal comments about us in Thai assuming that we couldn't understand her.

I have travelled all of the world and have stayed in every class of hotel, but I have never in my life witnessed such appalling behaviour.

This is after they flatly refused to help us find a taxi and insisted that we use their private transport service which would have cost us 5x the amount of the taxi fare to the airport.

And to top it off their internet was almost unusably slow and the water barely warm.

The only nice thing about our stay were the funny cleaning ladies.

There are MUCH better airport hotels for the same price.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends