“Great rooms, shame about the water supply”

S33 Compact Sukhumvit Hotel
Ranked #312 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 3, 2013

This is a budget hotel and therefore I'm willing got give it some leeway. However, they (by their own admission) have a major issue with the water supply - either red hot or cold (very challenging to take a shower). I stayed in 3 different rooms for a total of 10 nights both delux and super delux rooms on the 3 occasions I came back to Bangkok from my travels so I do have experience of 3 rooms. All had the same issue with the water. One even had no door on the shower area which they had "forgotten" about when allocating me the room. On 3 occasions the trip switch on the fuse box went indicating they have an electrical issue (is it safe?) - the maintenance guy knew immediately to go up the ladder through the hatch in the ceiling and "throw the switch to get the hot water working again. He said it happens all the time. I actually found the "girls" on reception OK but jaded from feeling they couldn't really fix the major issues. In summary, yes it may be a budget hotel but even a Youth Hostel has constant hot water! I shall be staying elsewhere next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Mike0467

Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed here before and rated it pretty good because the front desk was extra friendly and very service minded. This time I didn't get the same feeling as the girl working at the front desk was cold and couldn't for the life of her break a smile. I had an issue with the television in the room as I wanted to hook up my laptop through the HDMI but wasn't able to find the USB connection anywhere on the side of the TV. Engineering was called and they gave the typical answer of "no have". I went back to my room myself and removed the TV from the wall and found that in fact there was an HDMI port on the back of the TV. No effort was made by either the girl at the desk or the engineer to come to my room to even check.
The room I was put into this time was very small (see photo of the bathroom) the placement of the toilet really doesn't leave you much room?? All of these things would be acceptable as it is a budget hotel but what is a deal breaker for me is poor and unfriendly service from staff so I won't be back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank alec_ice
Reviewed February 3, 2013

Decent mid-range hotel, the rooms were clean and well decorated, but go somewhere else if you're looking for charm or personality :) The room we got had a tiny window, so it was quite dark, but not really a problem since we were out all day. Free wifi, but fairly slow. It's in a bit of a dodgy area, go somewhere else if massage parlours and girly bars are a problem for you.

Room Tip: Ask for a window!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We stayed for 3 x nights.

Breakfast was decent but with limited hot food choice.

Hotel looks and feels new and modern.

It is kept very clean and tidy.

Our room however ( 407 ) had a quirky bathroom set up with the toilet crammed up close to a support pillar ( 10 cms away@ front ) meaning almost impossible to sit and [--]!

Because of this we cancelled a further 3 x nights we had booked later in the month ( hotel refused to take any action when we complained upon check in )

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jon M
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed for a couple nights in July. Our stay was good, nothing exemplary but definitely no issues. The rooms were clean, the staff was helpful. Breakfast was really simple but put food in your stomach. The location was ok as it was situated between two BTS stations.

I'm in Bangkok a lot and wouldn't be opposed to staying here again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Located about 600m into Soi 33 of Sukhumvit (a bit far from the Skytrain) in an renovated older building. But renovated very well, upto todays standard of new hotels. There is parking but the soi tends to be very busy in the afternoon. The staff is friendly and service minded. The rooms are comfortable, although the bathroom was very small. I did stay in an M-room. They serve an simple but good breakfast buffet. There is free Wifi and an computer for use in the lobby. Due to the location I would say it is not a family (with kids) hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed January 5, 2013 via mobile

Ok so I dont have to mention how great the sukhumvit area is. This design hotel is located on the infamous soi 33 with lots of massage parlours around. We asked for a quiet room but got a room right next to the elevators. Because the hallways are made of stone and tile all the noises are echoed resulting in a bad night sleep. Our room did not have a window but only a small one in the bathroom. The door to the bathroomwas made of glass so when you get up at night you light up the entire room and waking up your partner. One of the faucets was broken so i repaired it myself. The toilet is placed inconvinietly close to the wall so i could not sit straight. The bathroom is heavy to open. The water temparature was not stable to control. Cold hot cold hot. The breakfast consisted of a variation of egg bacon and sausages. There was some toast cereal and sweet buns. The price of one night stay is very good.

We only stayed one night because of the location and transfer to the airport the next day. The rooms were modern and clean but just not convenient.

Dont know if i would come again but the price is really competative so maybe i will.

• Stayed: January 2013