“Quite the surreal hotel in busy Bangkok!”
Review of SO Sofitel Bangkok

SO Sofitel Bangkok
Ranked #15 of 887 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 20, 2014

We stayed at the Sofitel So Bangkok for 2 nights as part of a deals.com package and wished we could have stayed longer. The rooms are amazing, the service is 5 star and the breakfast was a banquet. The position is great, right opposite the park so we could take in the flora and fauna (you must see the 'dragons' living in the park) before a short walk into the busyness of Bangkok streets and shops. Hotel management go out of their way to ensure your stay is memorable for all the right reasons! The hotel has a fantastic pool and gym, spa and restaurants and an amazing nightclub at the top. We highly recommend the Sofitel So Bangkok and look forward to our next visit.

Room Tip: The rooms are inspired by the five elements - water, earth, wood, metal and fire and the attention t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Akira Y, Director of So Guest's Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

Dear Khun JoBaby55

SOwasdee ka from Sofitel So Bangkok!

What a delightful news to hear that you had a fantastic stay recently with us, particularly with facilities and services provided by our associates.
Thak you for sharing the feedback and excellent recommendation with us here on Tripadvisor.

We hope you will return to us soon as we love to have the pleasure of seeing you as our regular guest.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy new year 2014 that fills with love and joy!

AKira Y. (Ms.)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

My friends and I stayed at the Sofitel So hotel for 4 nights, in club level wood rooms. The service at the hotel was wonderful. The rooms were also very nice. The way the bathroom was designed in the room I shared (1904) made privacy a bit of an issue, as the wooden shutters between the bathroom and the sleeping area could not be fully closed.
The club level breakfast, afternoon tea and snacks were of good quality and there was plenty of choice.
The pool did not have any sun to speak of, this during the whole day. This is really a shame and if you like spending time at the pool, you should be well aware of this.There is a sun lounge area, but a great part of that is also sunless in the late morning and afternoon and it also has no service.
The hotel is close to the metro and shops. Lumpini park is close by. Very nice for morning runs or walks.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank Irenere

Dear Khun Irenere

SOwasdee ka from Sofitel So Bangkok!

Thank you very much for sharing the feedback about your recent stay with us and we are glad to hear that you had a lovely stay here.

Considering being in a troical country, the pool is not equipped with heating system. However, we are considering the install the heating system in the jacuzzi this year.
I have shared your feedback regarding the lack of service at the sun deck to our Director of Food & Beverage and she has reassured to me that necessary rectification will be taken.
Please do accept our apologies for the inconvenience on this regards.

We truly hope you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back and better serve you.

May I take this chance to wish you a very happy new year 2014 that fills with love and joy!

Akira (Ms.)

Reviewed January 19, 2014

the hotel is really, really nice. It is very popular at SongKran. Very trendy and chic. Lobby, dining, breakfast, service, decor, everything unbeatable. However...the rooms are a bit small for the price, even though they are very, very nice. If you don't care much about the rooms since you don't plan to spend much time at the hotel, you will be happy. The pool area is beautiful. It's not too far from the main shopping areas. Personally, I prefer a bigger room at this price. Also, the decor can be a bit cold, white and glossy. If you are coming for Songkran or a holiday with a group of friends, this is where you want to be.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Khun w44566

Sowasdee ka from Sofitel SO Bangkok!

Thank you for sharing the feedback about your recent stay with us.
We are very happy to hear that you had a lovely stay and recommend us here on Tripadvisor.

Apart from the metal element theme room that you stayed in, there are 3 other room elements that you can explore and choose, so your options here are quite wide.

We hope you will return to us soon to explore other areas like our So Spa, Chocolab, Park Society and many more.

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy new year 2014 that fills with joy and success!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

Stayed at this hotel earlier in the year. Was impressed by the detail and attention to service. This is the reason I chose to return. I expect hotel staff to be kind. It's the service beyond this that makes it 5 star. Find the hotel must be going through changes in management or focus. Rooms are starting to show their wear. Obvious details any housekeeping staff could notice. Club Lounge was also a disappointment. Service wasn't attentive and seldom acknowledged when you arrived. Never called be name. You were a only a room number to them. Had dinner at Park Society which was incredibly good last stay. This time around service also played an issue as well as the quality of the food. At one point I got up to pour our own champagne. Glasses sat empty. A brand the initial server wasn't aware they carried. The meal also suffered. Lacked flavor and authenticity. Reminded me of a meal in business class. Do not recommend until food and service improve. Way over priced for the experience. Though the view is incredible. Better to have drinks at the outside bar and order off the bar menu. Next trip to BKK will most likely go back to the Sukhothai. Granted its an older hotel but it does have an impressive record. Have stayed there before and found them to have an impeccable eye to detail. So Sofitel BKK this trip started to feel like a Marriott in the States.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled solo
2  Thank A M

Dear Khun A M

Sowasdee ka from Sofitel SO Bangkok!

Thank you for taking the time to share with us the feedback about your recent stay.
All the points you raised have been carefully noted and shared with our General Manager, Mr. Cretallaz and concerned Department Heads, and we are very concerned that your recent stay was rather a disappointment comparing the the one before.

Please do accept our sincerest apologies for the disappointments you had experienced with the service at the Club Signature and Park Society. This is unacceptable and I can reassure to you that we will not take this lightly but necessary measurement and rectification will be taken.
However, to be able to do that appropriately, I hope you would allow us to contact you directly to gain further details about your experience so that we can follow up promptly.

Should you not mind, please kindly drop me a quick email via H6835-GM2@sofitel.com and I will get back to you immediately.

Khun A M, we thank you once again for taking the time to share with us the feedback, which we value grately. We really appreciate your patience and understanding and hope to be able to discuss further with you about this.

Reviewed January 19, 2014

We've stayed in this hotel for 2 nights as part of our final days of our honeymoon. This was by far the best hotel we ever stayed and we have to thank the staff for it. The hotel is conveniently located close to the subway and easily reachable by taxi. The reception staff was friendly, helpful and efficient. We were treated to an amazing cocktail on arrival and met Paul from customer relations that put himself and his team to our disposal. The room had breathtaking views of Bangkok skyline and was huge, clean and modern. The bathroom as brilliant. We enjoyed the fantastic infinite pool, as well as the amazing breakfast. I've felt two nights were too short and I was sad to leave this hotel behind. I would absolutely return to it on my next stay to Bangkok.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Akira Y, Director of So Guest's Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 19, 2014

Dear Khun airness1979

Sowasdee ka from Sofitel So Bangkok!

What an honor for us to be able to serve you during your previous visit. Thank you for choosing to spend your special occassion at Sofitel So Bangkok!

We are very happy that your stay was fantastic and our associates made it memorable for you.
I have shared your feedback with Paul and he sends his best regards to you.
We hope you will come back again soon as we love to have the pleasure of seeing you as regular guest!

May I take this opportunity to wish you a wonderful new year that fills with love and joy!

With So Courtesy

Reviewed January 18, 2014

I had booked a stay a least 9 months in advance at Sofitel So and was really excited. I have to say that this was one of the most disappointing stays I have ever encountered. It is a shame as I have stayed at the Sofitel Melbourne in Australia, which carries a superb reputation (and deservedly so).

Before I even arrived, there were problems. We had originally booked a So Lofty suite, and as a surprise for my partner for the last 2 nights, I wanted to organise an upgrade to the So VIP Suite. I emailed the hotel directly, they replied with a price and I agreed to it and asking for a confirmation reply. Then, I received an email then asking a higher price and letting me know the first night has now suddenly been booked, (mistake number 1). I immediately was shocked about this and complained back in writing at how unacceptable this was. I was offered compensation (quite minimal at that with a dinner and some drinks), which doesn't really justify trying to scam a guest to paying more money for a room after they had already put the first offer in writing, and as a result of delayed replies from the hotel, me missing out on the room. It's not compensation I was after, I just wanted the hotel to get simple things right - is that so hard? Clearly it was. I agreed to the one night on the last night, as I didn't want to miss out.

We get picked up by the BMW service from the airport, which was great. We then get ushered into the main lobby area, instead of the Club Signature as we were supposed to (mistake number 2). The young gentleman checking us in was a trainee, so I was willing to make some allowances for his errors. He forgot to give us our credit card back upon registration (mistake number 3) then proceeded to tell us 3 times that we should be checking in up at the club. If this was the case, then why didn't he just take us up to the club? Not that hard really. Then came room allocation - we asked for a So Lofty in Water theme with a view of Lumpini Park, only to be told there were no So Lofty Water suites with a view of Lumpini Park, so we chose a So Lofty Wood theme, which was actually nice and had a fantastic view (However, with all of the correspondence I had been having with hotel leading up to my stay, you think someone would have picked up on this sooner, as it wasn't what I really wanted and sending me a lousy email 1 day before arrival explaining this is really not good enough, where I had no email access - mistake number 4).

We finally arrive at the Club Signature and it was very quiet and nice. We had afternoon tea, which was very good, which was a complete contrast to the evening cocktails on offer. The standard of food and beverages was awful, and the service even worse (We stayed at the Pullman G Bangkok only the week before, which is part of the Accor Group as well, and their food, beverages and service was far better). Staff were waltzing around in their designer outfits, but no one seemed to be doing any actual work (I couldn't work out if they were models or hospitality staff). The club was about 10% full, so not exactly busy, yet food items were not replaced, empty glasses and plates were left everywhere, and the staff seemed more interested in playing on their mobile phones and looking out the window instead of attending to their guests - not a good look - which makes mistake number 5.

The day finally arrived for us to move rooms into the So VIP Suite. When I originally agreed to the last night, I specified that I would want the room by no later than 2pm (their check-in time mind you), as we have an early international flight the next day and want to take advantage of the room as much as possible - to which they agreed in writing. I ask the staff member what time the room would be ready, to which I get a response "the guest currently in the suite has been given a late check-out of 4pm so you probably won't get into the room until 6pm". BIG mistake number 6. Are you kidding me was my reaction. After you agreed in writing that I could have it from 2pm (and you knew 3 months in advance that there was another guest wanting to check into the suite - why on earth would you give the person currently in the suite a late checkout? We find out that answer later...

I was ready to leave and go to another hotel at this stage, I had just about had enough. All the staff were apologizing profusely, but no one seemed to be really bothered or genuinely cared about the situation. I actually printed the correspondence where they guaranteed it from 2pm and gave it to them to investigate. I then get a call from Pablo the hotel manager who initially offered compensation of not paying the difference between the Lofty and VIP suites and then said to me that it's not really a big deal that I'm missing out on 4 hours in the suite. This was rather insulting to say the least, and my partner then got on the phone and told him that accordingly, to which he denied ever saying to me that it's not such a big deal (FYI, he was on speakerphone - so my partner heard the entire conversation anyway). We told the manager to actually attempt to think about how he would fix the situation. Waited 30 mins and decided to go look at The Sukhothai across the road (how I wished I stayed there after this experience).

We get back to the hotel, and Pablo sits down with us and to his credit, apologizes in person, saying it was a genuine mistake about the late check out and investigated all of the other problems we had leading up to this. He said it was an isolated incident and offers our last night complimentary, which we accepted.

We finally get into the room at 5.30pm, to which the Guest Relations Manager is showing us around. By this time, I was really upset with the whole thing, that even the amazing room didn't make up for it. As a joke, I asked which celebrity stayed in here before us, to which he openly replied with the star's name (to which I'm thinking not the wisest decision to give confidential information like that out). Then it gets worse, he shows us a photo of himself with this celebrity in the VIP suite (and it was a big name celebrity), which now explained everything - and takes us to their biggest final mistake number 7: there was no "genuine mistake" as the hotel manager put it in giving the late checkout, which leaves me with an untrustworthy and low opinion of the Hotel Manager. This person was a big celebrity, and it was clear that the hotel would have given this celebrity anything they wanted - even if that means affecting the enjoyment of what would have been a full paying guest. This was also later confirmed on our return trip to the airport in the BMW, where the driver confirmed he took this celebrity to the airport the night before our departure. Not exactly the best way to make someone feel special.

If the hotel had been upfront about these things, I wouldn't have been so angry. I didn't want compensation - I just wanted the hotel to get things right. Clearly incapable and incompetent in getting basics right. It was the constant barrage of errors and the continual lies to cover up their mistakes and the constant patronizing way of downplaying my disappointment leaves me no other option than to warn everyone about this hotel, and simply to say I cannot recommend this place on any level.

On the positive side, the So Lofty Wood suite was nice (although a bit 'Vegas' like), 2 staff members were wonderful - Tinnie at Front Office and Ken in Club Signature, the pool area and day spa were both fantastic and my spa treatment was exceptional and the dinner at Red Oven restaurant was lovely. Breakfast at Club Signature was one of the best breakfasts I have had. However, the shortcomings clearly overshadow this unfortunately.

When staff constantly attempt to deceive you (especially by the hotel's manager), nothing can be done to make up for such a poor and unprofessional experience. Service is so important and with multiple failures like this, it just ruins the stay. To add insult to injury, I registered a complaint on the Accor website. It is now 6 days later and I still have received no response whatsoever, which is absolutely disgusting. I was going to give my review 2 stars, but with Accor's lack of reply, it goes down to 1 star.

Perhaps now if someone reads this review from Accor, they might wake up and actually bother to contact me (which is what I clearly asked for). I sent a positive review to Accor about Pullman G, and received a lovely reply from their General Manager days later - funny, they got that one...

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Joe B
Akira Y, Director of So Guest's Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2014

Dear Khun Jo B

Sowasdee ka from Sofitel SO Bangkok!

We would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us the feedback about your recent visit.
All the points you raised have been carefully noted and shared with our General Manager, Mr. Cetallaz and concerned teams and we are very concerned that your experience did not meet your expectation.
Please do accept our sincerest apologies for that.

Mr. Cretallaz has written an email, which was sent to you on Monday. The message was to conveyed our deepest apologies and to let you know that we did not take things lightly but our teams tried their very best to ease the situations with appropriate recovery and compensation on spots.

Please do not hesitate to contact me or Mr. Cretallaz directly should you require further discussion as we are here at your disposal.

We truly hope you would give us another opportunity to welcome you back and better serve you in a more typical and usual high standards that we are proud of.

Once again, we thank you for your time, patience and understanding.

So Kind Regards

DIrector of So Guest's Experience

Reviewed January 18, 2014

an all in all wonderful experience. food, staff, room, new years eve, brunch, decor and style all top notch! i can highly recommend this hotel. it's an explosion of color, design and pleasing decor that your senses will thank you that you stayed there. it's a heaven for all creative people who like a different kind of experience then your standard run of the mill grand hotel. this is where you want to stay when you are a fan of cirque du soleil.
plus you will feel welcomed everywhere you turn, only friendly people waiting to make this the best hotel visit ever and with me they succeeded!
i will make it my mission to be seeing and experiencing as many sofitel so as possible!
thank you!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Akira Y, Director of So Guest's Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded January 20, 2014

Dear Khun kalaidoscope

Sowasdee ka from Sofitel So Bangkok!

Thank you very much for such a wonderful feedback and recommendation. There's nothing more important to us than knowing that your stay was fantastic and our associates tried their best to make your experience exceptional!

We hope to see you again soon as we love to have the pleasure of seeing you as our regular guest!

May I take this opportunity to wish you a very happy new year that fills with joy, love and success!

With So Courtesy