“All great but room quality”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of SO Sofitel Bangkok

SO Sofitel Bangkok
Ranked #17 of 852 Hotels in Bangkok
Bangkok, Thailand
“All great but room quality”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Stayed at the SO for the second time about a year apart. First time was under the soft opening, second at the end of August. We stayed in a club roo mboth times, and really injoyed the club lounge access. You get a great a la carte breakfast and also complimentary afternoon tea and early evening drinks and snacks. Not to miss.

We were also very happy with the service from the club room staff, who does a great job. However, both times it was quite a hassle before the staff at the front desk could decide that we had booked a club room and send us there for check-in. The second time I mentioned it straight away, but it took at least 10 min anyway. Not efficient and not very professional.

Only tried the red oven buffet the first time, but it was really good then, though it was over a year ago. Great spread and excellent quality.

The only real issue we have had is the rooms. Design is great, have tried metal and water and they are beautiful, but the design is not matched in quality. Our room during the soft opening already had mold in the shower, and our water theme room that we had the second time had a distinct smell of mold. It seems like the ventilation was not enough to keep moist away, and at several places the construction was made so that water was trapped for longer periods of time. We stayed one night both times, and felt like more than that would not be possible, especially in the water room. That was probably not the intention with the theme.

Could go back for food and drinks, but with the supply of hotels in Bangkok we will definately be able to find a better room for the same or less money next time.

Room Tip: The different themes are located on different floors, if you want a high floor, go for the water the...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ronnie S
Akira Y, Director of So Guest Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Khun Ronnie S,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback, it is the best way we can improve our guests' experience.
I am happy to read that the Club benefits reached well your expectations, as well as the staff.

Concerning the issue you had during the check-in, I really apologize, and you can be sure the concerned Head of Departments will be all informed, in order to avoid the recurrence of this kind of inconvenience, and all our staff will be trained in consequences.

I sincerely apologize also for the inconvenience you encountered with the shower. This is totally unacceptable, and very unusual for the quality of the prestation we provide, and which we are proud of. I would be very grateful if you could share some more details with me about how the issue was handled, and I would like also to be your first contact for any future assistance. I want to personnaly take care of your requests and preferences, and make sure everything goes smoothly. Please feel free to drop me an email anytime at the following adress: H6835-HR2@sofitel.com.

I wish you a very nice week-end and week ahead, and truly wish you will give us another chance to welcome you back and to make things perfect.

With So Courtesy,

Akira Yan-Ubol,
Director of So Guest Experience

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (721)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a fabulous time at the So, the Hotel was captivating, with a perfect balance of high class and modern funky design. I would like to personally thank all the staff for being so accomodating, with special thanks to Raphael and Akira. The level of customer service was excellent, and no stone would be left unturned to make sure we were comfortable and happy. The roof top bar was gorgeous with devine views of the city, and the D.J's kept on rolling in the groove, without ever overdoing it. We loved the pool area on level 10, and though we were too busy to spend much time relaxing, I did visit the salon twice, and was extremely happy with the results. We stayed firstly in the Earth room, which was spacious and calm, however we had trouble seeing in the bathroom as the light wasn't great, so on request we were moved to a Wood room and were very happy. The beds and pillows are the best i've ever slept in at a hotel, and I'm planning to purchase the pillows for christmas, I've heard that you can also buy the beds. I loved the chocolate lab, and the chilli dark chocolate is going to leave me with cravings for the rest of my life. Though the hotel is not so central for shopping, the free tuk tuk was a blessing, and we loved the view over Lumpini park. We ate breakfast every morning at the Red Oven dining area which was gorgeous, and the food was excellent catering for every palate - important to note, the coffee was excellent! The go to Guru - Paul, was brilliant with every insight you could ever possibly need - Paul I still couldn't find that belt!, so next time I visit - you're taking me shopping!!! We asked where we could eat locally and they sent us to The North East - about 300 metres down the road - the best Tom Yum I've EVER had. The ambience over all is pretty much unmatched and just walking in made me feel relaxed - certainly needed as bangkok is a brilliant, out of control, crazy, beautiful city. Thanks Sofitel So for an unforgettable week
Sam Cookson

Room Tip: Ask for a room looking over the park, the metal element rooms are gorgeous as are the Wood, the eart...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Samantha C
Dear Ms. Cookson,
Wow! We couldn't expect any greater comment! Thank you for giving us all your impressions and experiences. I will share it with our team, especially with Raphael and Paul (who will definetely tell you where to find that belt next time!).
It is really a true encouragement for us to see every area of the hotel was an awesome and unique experience for you, from the bed to the salon, including the rooftop, the swimming pool, breakfast and chocolab!
You still have two elements to try: metal and water, so you have many surprises to come! And for a perfect immersion in the five elements of Sofitel So Bangkok, I would also definetely recommend you our five elements Spa treatments which are completing and subliming the spirit of the hotel... maybe for next time!
I hope to meet you again very soon, Ms. Cookson, and wish you all the best!

Reviewed September 18, 2013 via mobile

I spent my long holiday at Bangkok on Jan 2013, this hotel is the best place for rest taking and relaxation as my thought. Although the location is not so good for shopping lovers but it is very convenience for business travellers. The way the staffs there suprise a guest by arranging some cute amenities and the welcome slogan on the television screen is unforgetable to me. I will go back to stay here again and again whenever I am back to Bangkok.

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank MelMelTran
Dear Khun MelMelTran,

Thank you for sharing your experience and recommending our hotel! It is a great encouragement for our team to read that we achieved a personnalized welcoming, above your expectations, and that our hotel is an urbain hotel which is so relaxing, and good for business as well as holidays.

We hope to see you back in Bangkok very soon then!

With many regards,

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

This is very funky quirky hotel that exudes warmth and personality.Its greatest asset is the staff and management that run the place.From the moment we arrived until the time we left there was not a dull moment. The design of the staff uniforms is stunning and such a refreshing experience.
We upgraded to the Club rooms with access to ClubSignature and we were not dissapointed with the facilites and service offered. In addition we were invited to a Wednesday evening function to meet the staff and this was so entertaining.If you are lucky you may even bump into "Michael Jackson" who is alive and well and working at the hotel.
The rooms were more than adequate , the bed huge and extremely confortable,the bathroom could not be faulted and the TV and Internet facilities more than met our requirments.
Our transportation to and from the airport was conducted with military precision.If you are a chocoholic don't forget to visit the Chocolat shop. This hotel is a credit to the Accor Group.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Khun John L,

What a nice comment, thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! We are so glad to here we managed to make your stay unique, and different from other hotels, with special little touches everywhere.
We hope to see you again very soon, Mickael Jackson would be more than happy to welcome you back! Bangkok, Sofitel So, our rooms, restaurants, spa and staff are waiting for you Mr. John L!

With So Courtesy,

So Guest Experience Director
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We had a lovely BMW limousine pick up from the airport and were swisked away to the SO Sofitel for a brief visit of a couple of nights in a Wood Element room..very comfortable and great view of the Lumpini Park and city sky line.Unfortunately I was feeling unwell so we didn't experience the roof top pool or bar but stayed in our room and indulged in the complementary chocolates and fridge contents.The breakfasts were as we had expected of the Sofitel...lots of variety and good quality...I made the BEST baggle( light and fluffy) with cream cheese, smoked salmon, capers and sprig of dill! Delicious! And on the one night that I felt well enough we went up to the restaurant and ordered a la cart....I had a lovely Pad Thai and my husband ordered spring rolls....except he expected them to be fried and they were fresh coriander and vegetables...he is allergic to coriander so the Maitre D' spirited them away, saying no charge and promptly returned with complementary fried spring rolls...a much appreciated kindness! and typical of the Sofitel service world wide.We were sad to have to leave our Sofitel home!

Room Tip: choose a room to match your star sign..do the elements quiz to find the one for you
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Akira Y, Director of So Guest's Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, September 27, 2013
Dear Khun 421wheretonext

We cannot be any happier to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us! Thank you so much to share with us such a wonderful feedback and recommendation on Tripadvisor.

However, we are very sorry that during the stay you were not feeling well, so you couldn't fully explore a full So temptation. Well! That's a good reason to come back and explore what's left untouched! Next time, try other room elements, our SO Spa for a pamper & relaxation, and our Chocolab to treat yourself with a wolrd class sweet!

We really hope all is well with you and to se you again soon as we love to have the pleasure of seing you as our regular guest!!

Have a fantastic weekend!

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Good location. Service only fine. Very slow delivery. Very much design oriented and for those who love modern gay ambience. Rooms are very nice, but very small. Bathrooms spectacular. Overprized compared to other options in Bangkok

Room Tip: Not a place for a family or traditional people (like me)
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Khun Manuel F

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback. It's always great to receive a good feedback with constructive points for us to improve and excel ourselves.

We are sorry for the service that was not upto your expectation, this has been shared with all department heads to focus on their areas.
Regarding to the room size and the price, I can guarantee to you that we are in line comparing to competitors which are other 5 star-luxury hotels in Bangkok.

And at So Bangkok, even though we are not a traditional kind of hotel as our concept and design are fun and modern, we are welcome and open to everybody regardless sex and gender.

Khun Manuel F, we really hope you would give us another chance to welcome you back as we love to have the pleasure of seing you again as there are so much more that we have to offer.

We wish you a fantastic weekend!

With So Courtesy

New Delhi, India
Reviewed September 14, 2013

My business trip truly felt like a vacation. Tastefully done up rooms with all amenities. A magical rooftop Swimming pool with a view to kill for. The Staff embody the 'land of smiles' in Bangkok tagline and are very friendly. Laila, at the front desk makes you feel welcome anytime she meets you throughout the day. The Staff will go out of the way to hail a Cab for you, store your luggage even after you have checked out or with useful tips for the City. Nearest BTS station Sala Deng is comfortable 10 mins walk away. A local Thai resturant just outside is a perfect place to sample the local Cuisine. Lumpini Park is bang opposite and a great place to run. Which brings me to the only average part of the Hotel - The Fitness Centre. I would have expected it to have a better equiped Weights section. All equipment there are in perfect condition though and very well maintained. Would definately stay there again when visiting the city of Squalla!

Room Tip: There are room motifs - Wood, Metal etc. Ask to see each room and chose the one you like if they hav...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Akira Y, Director of So Guest's Experience at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking the time to give us your feedback! We will definitely share this comment with our Staff (and especially to Laila!), it is indeed very encouraging! We are very happy to read that you had a nice relaxing time in our hotel, even if it was for business. We are expecting to see you back soon then!