“So magnificent...”

Ranked #14 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Colombo, Sri Lanka
“So magnificent...”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Loved both hardware and software of this hotel. I took 15 of my staff for lunch @ Red Oven, very impressed with the service received. Minor issue (ants on couple of plates) was very professionally dealt by Pauline and Barthelemy of the management who were also very hands on with vigilant eye for details throughout. If you are in Bangkok, looking for quality in all aspects rather than quantity, do not miss the lunch buffet here where an extensive array of fine food with optimum quality are beautifully presented. I very much look forward to my next visit. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Do not miss the lunch buffet @ Red Oven...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Akira Y, So Guest Director at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Khun Don G,
It is wonderful to receive such great feedback and reccomendation about our dining facility Red Oven, regarding the issue that you mention, we have taken all the neccessary measures to assure is not repeated, we can confirm your next visits to Red Oven would be even more fascinating than the previose one.
However, your feedback is truly encouraging us to improve our service not only with dining faclities but entire operations of our hotel afterward.

Wishing you a wonderful week ahead!

We are expecting for your return soon.

Email: H6835-RD@sofitel.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (738)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed June 26, 2013

We were two families using a deals.com voucher from Australia. 2 adults and 2 children aged btn 9 & 17yrs. Confusion at booking about room and bed configuration and breakfast cost was resolved through professional and courteous attitude of all staff. Very apologetic and staff constantly sought us out to see if we were enjoying our stay. Emile and her team were very polite and respectful. The so Sofitel is best described as French elegance and sophistication infused with the humbleness and flavours of Thailand. The red oven buffet dinner and breakfast were wonderful. Great location across from lumphini park.

Room Tip: The comfy rooms can fit two rollaway beds but staff were concerned it may be too uncomfortable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank 71Brett2013
Dear Khun 71Brett2013,

It is great to hear that you were having such really satisfied stay in our hotel, knowing that you had have a wonderful experience with our dining outlet is even more gratifying. I have already inform your compliment to our front desk assiociates, they were highly appreciated. We are expecting for your return as we are all desired to see and serve you as regular guest.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed June 25, 2013

This hotel certainly impresses. From check-in to room/ common areas interior deco, to staff attentiveness. Everything is really top notch and good. When we checked out really early due to the morning flight, the staff from club signature even made arrangements for packed breakfast. Thought that was really thoughtful. Never encountered such attentiveness and gesture from hotel.

One thing I hope that the hotel could improve on is in the area of pest control/ room maintenance. I was staying in a water theme room and i realized that there is a wall panel in the room that can be opened to reveal the dark and moist internal water piping etc. Not sure if this was where the cockroach came from. The cockroach actually crawled out from nowhere next to the toilet bowl in the toilet while i was using it. Imagine how shocked I was. Next was a chase of cockroach around the room. It died finally after we hit it persistently using the bathroom slippers. Refer to the uploaded photos for proof. Never in my years of hotel stay had I encountered such an incident. Sofitel So Bangkok, you have to really do better than just providing good services. Please uphold the good name of Sofitel.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

1 Thank Daniel G
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Valued Guest

Thank you so much for taking the time to convey your feedback on Tripadvisor and directly contact me via my email address.

It is always nice to hear that you enjoyed our facilities and services provided by our associates, however, we read with concern when learn that you found a cockroach in your room. This is atypical and we can understand your frustration.
I have shared this matter to our General Manager, Mr. Cretallaz and concerned departments, and therefore, a pest control team was called immediately and they had come in to exterminate the bugs. I can reassure to you that we will not just do the pest control only once but we will keep monitoring closely and have pest control agent coming in to inspect each floor on a weekly basis. This to ensure a complete extermination is acheived.

At Sofitel So Bangkok, we are hiring the same reputable pest control company like other leading luxury hotels in Bangkok and I can guarantee to you we will do everything we can to eliminate this matter.

Once again, we are very sorry for the frustration you had experienced. We truly appreciate your patience and understanding.

We truly hope you would give us the opportunity to welcome you back and better serve you in a more typical and high standards that we are proud of.

I promise to you that we will do everything in our power to ensure your next visit is seamless and excellent.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback, which helps us in developing ourselves.

We wish you a wonderful week ahead.

Akira Y.
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 25, 2013

We were very eager and excited to experience the first urban hotel of the Sofitel So brand which is aimed at the hip, young and design conscious market, in short a brand designed to rival Starwood's W hotels. Having stayed at W Bangkok on my last visit in December I can say without a doubt that the Sofitel So is the solid winner in terms of service, amenities and room design.

On arrival to the hotel we were seated in the lobby while being served our welcome drinks and a staff member did the check in process for us. I very much liked the fact that we were able to relax while the check in process was taken care of. Then a staff member personally escorted us to our rooms and showed us the features including the Apple TV which is accessed via a remote keyboard and controls all functions including hotel info, room service, restaurant and spa menus. I stayed in the 'Metal Element'room which featured white tiles, a daybed, massive bathroom including bathtub and speakers for listening to music while showering and electronically controlled blinds. The room was eclectic and very functional without being over designed. I agree there was a lot of space wasted with the design of the bathroom sink and there is not enough storage space on the vanity but I simply placed my toiletries in the tray beneath the sink. The bed was massive and so comfortable and of course there is a pillow menu should you wish to select a specific pillow.

The infinity pool overlooking the park is the perfect place to unwind and relax and the 'Waterclub' restaurant offers a menu filled with light and healthy meals perfect for enjoying by the pool. Probably my favorite urban hotel pool, the view of Lumpini Park is hard to beat.

To me a hotel is nothing without the staff who work there, and a designer hotel with poorly trained staff can be an example of style over substance. This was certainly not the case at the Sofitel So. The staff at the Sofitel So are truly amazing, all displaying genuine warmth and professionalism throughout our entire stay. On our first night there was an evacuation warning around 4am which thankfully turned out to be a false alarm. To my surprise we found a letter offering 50% discount on all treatments in the So Spa as compensation for disrupting our sleep. There is also a dedicated staff member called the Çity Guru' who we asked to make all of our restaurant bookings and also for directions around Bangkok. The hotel also offers free bicycles for riding around Lumpini Park (highly recommended) and also umbrellas when it pours down with rain in Bangkok as it often does in June. The level of service is truly outstanding and lacking in so many 5 star hotels.

Other worthy mentions include the delicious afternoon for two with unlimited non alcoholic drinks, the amazing buffet dinner in Red Oven and the dragon fruit cocktail served at Park Society bar (which is the perfect place to chill out when it's not raining). And the spa is another highlight, styled like an urban forest featuring wooden beams and a view of Lumpini Park. The massage therapists are true professionals and I highly recommend a massage at the So Spa. And definitely not to be missed is a visit (or multiple visits in my case) to Chocolab to sample the many varieties of freshly made chocolates. It is such a perk to have a premium chocolate store in your hotel lobby.

You would be hard pressed to find a hotel with better service and amenities in Bangkok. We were blown away by all aspects of the Sofitel So and for us, it has become our home away from home in Bangkok. The staff have made a lasting impression and I cannot wait for my next visit. This level of service is what all luxury hotels should strive for. I simply cannot recommend this hotel enough.

Room Tip: Go for a room overlooking Lumpini Park, definitely worth the extra cost.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Khun aw101,

Thank you for sending such a wonderful feedback and recommendation about your stay with us on Tripadvisor. It is more than a pleasure for us too, since your recent stay was very comfortable and satisfying. I have shared your words to So team, they all appreciated and willing to welcome you back here again. I would like to recommend you to try, Park So, our fine dining facility in which you could have personal discussion regarding your preferred dishes with our award-winning chef. I am pretty sure you would also love it.

We are expecting for your next visit as we are all desiring to see you as our regular guest.

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed June 25, 2013

Spent my Birthday Trip with So Sofitel, as soon as I walked into the room, I saw the cake from the hotel. What a surprise =)

We stayed in the Wood Element, lovely view from the room, the design was great and spacious. The hotel location is not quite city center, but then it's pretty easy to ride on a cab to go for sightseeing. And yet, it's like an Oasis around the city centre.

Staff are helpful, and the breakfast, there's not wide range of variety, but just YUMMY!

sadly, we didn't stay long enough for the pool

Will visit again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kris S
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear valued guest

We are so happy to hear that you had a fantastic stay at So Bangkok! Thank you so much for sharing your feedback and great recommendation on tripadvisor.

We hope you will return soon as we love to have the pleasure of seeing you as our regular guest.

Have a lovely week!

Akira Y
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed June 21, 2013

Wonderful spacious rooms with great views over Lumpini Park and the city. We stayed in Sofitel So at the beginning of our SEAsian holiday and then made sure we returned again for a few days. The infinity pool is astounding, you can float and enjoy panoramic views while sipping on affordable cocktails. The staff were all friendly and knowledgeable - and we particularly thank the Club Signature staff for their help in express checkout when we were running late for a flight. Club Signature on 25th floor is a great facility and the upgrade cost was well worth it.

Room Tip: Choose an "Earth Suite" overlooking Lumpini Park - spacious with the best views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Khun Kath M,

We cannot thank you enough for such a wonderful feedback and recommendation you wrote about Sofitel So. It is truly heartening and therefore, even happier as we learn you wish to return here.
I have shared with our team. We are very delighted that you had a memorable stay, particularly with our facilities and the services provided by our associates.

We hope you will come back soon as we love to have the pleasure of seeing you as our regular guests.

Wishing you a very lovely week ahead!

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I stayed there last year , when hotels just open maybe 4th month . The gave me room with the Earth Theme nice view facing Lumpini Park which is I like .Just only matter is since we just want to go around to explore Bangkok . The location of the hotels is so poor even taxi driver could not find them. Far away from sky Train Terminal .Over all for the price that I been paid , worth it

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, June 21, 2013
Dear valued guest

It is always a pleasure to receive a feedback from our guests. Thank you so much for sharing your experience at SO Bangkok in last November.
We are glad to hear that overall you had a great stay. In terms of the hotel location, So Bangkok is situated just right in the middle of the city. There is an MRT station situated just right across the street of the hotel and there's a BTS station, which takes only 8 minutes walk from the hotel.
Both skytrain and the underground will take you to the major areas in Bangkok.

Moreover, we have a great news as our Tuk Tuk has arrived! So, the shuttle service will be on the move as the first thing in July!

Once again, thank you for your kind feedback. Wishing you a lovely weekend and we truly hope to see you again soon!

Akira Y.