“Funky and a great experience”
Review of SO Sofitel Bangkok

SO Sofitel Bangkok
Ranked #20 of 884 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed April 1, 2013

This hotel offers a unique experience and fantastic views. The resturants are also a total experience. I think that the hotel offers such an incredible experiential stay that often the details are overlooked. Our bathroom leaked. The shower was not as clean as I would have expected for a five star hotel and the blinds were wearing with one broken. There was external road noise that kept us awake. It takes a huge team effort to keep such a hotel operational at such a 'star level' and I appreciated the time we stayed but I think a little TLC in the rooms would help. Overall the stay was impecible and I woudl recommend this hotel as a great experience.

Room Tip: Choose your 'theme' room for a little extra treat.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear So Guest

We're glad to hear that overall you had a lovely stay at SO Bangkok, however, we're so sorry to hear that there were some shortcomings with your experience in the room. This has been shared with Director of Engineer, Mr. Prabda to rectify the matters urgently.

We hope you would give us the opportunity to welcome you back and better serve you with a more typical and high standards that we're proud of.

Wishing you were here to celebrate Thai 'SongKran' New Year and water blessing ceremony with us!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Stayed here with friends on a recent 5 day R&R trip. We stayed in one of the suites on the water element floors.

Good:
Really contemporary fit-out, very cutting edge, we loved it
fabulous infinity pool
Funky staff uniforms
Massive room
Free mini bar (non alcohol)
Amazing Spa
Really friendly warm staff
Great breakfast buffet at "the oven" level 7
Sensational level 29 roof bar.

Average (there really wasn't any bad)
Club level staff were very friendly but..... unnecessarily complicated protracted check in, just give me the keys and let me go to my room !
Drinks in club lounge - staff have no bar service training, takes 30 minutes to get a beer
Food in club lounge - pretty ordinary and finishes at 7 pm on the knocker ! the chef was lining up chomping at the bit at 6:55 to clean it all up
Staff at pool bar were lovely, but you literally had to walk to the pool bar to get a drink, table service was poor at best
its really hard to get a cab at night, peak hour virtually closes the road in front of the hotel

in summary apart from a few minor service issues (which really arent that big a deal) you'll love this hotel, but if you like olde worlde and wood paneled style (think shangri-la) give it a miss.

Room Tip: go for a high floor suite / club level, its worth the few extra dollars. Also if you are planning a...

Dear So Guest

Your feedback is truly constructive and we are so thankful for that! All the points you have raised, we have carefully noted, and therefore, head of service teams of concerned departments have been involved to improve those service areas. The training manager has also been involved to arrange appropriate trainings for all ambassadors.

However, we thank you for an excellent recommendation on Tripadvisor here. It is so wonderful to know that you had an enjoyable stay!
We hope to see you again and to have the opportunity to better serve you with a more typical and high standards that we are proud of.

Reviewed April 1, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel as part of our trip to Thailand. Loved the hotel, our room was great, beds were so comfortable and the view across to the park was breathtaking. We dined upstairs on the first night and I can honestly say it was the best meal we had all trip. Staff were amazing and helpful. I visited the spa twice and would highly recommend

Dear So Guest

When will we get the pleasure to welcome you back again? We have missed you already & hope to see you soon...as we love to have you as our regular guest!

Thank you for a wonderful feedback & recommendation! We're so happy that your stay was magnificent & our ambassadors were helpful & made you feel at home.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

We stayed at this new luxury hotel during the Saint Valentin weekend ! Whoa... the interior design is super, truly unique and avant-garde ! Room decoration from the Wood element is So beautiful, special mention for the good isolation system! This luxury hotel offers top gym installation and a huge and magnifique pool with skyview on the Lumpini park. Thank you to the staff for their very professional services, and a special warmly thanks to the Duty Manager during our stay ( Mr E. Panngam ) for his professionalism. From Belgium... We will come back to this hotel for our next stay in Bangkok !

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear So Guest

It was a great honor to have you spending special occasion such a Valentine's day at So Bangkok and we're even more delighted to hear that you had an absolutely amazing experience with us. Thank you for your feedback & wonderful recommendation.

Your encouraging feedback has been shared with the team and Mr. Cretallaz our General Manager. It is valuable and help us drive our ambassadors to consistency in delivering excellent services.

Also wishing you were here to celebrate Thai 'SongKran' New Year and water blessing ceremony with us!

WIth So Courtesy

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This hotel is absolutely amazing one of the best we have stayed in. The rooms WOW service & everything else just fabulous. Not the best location but the hotel makes up for that. We had club floor and just so great has outside balcony so can sit outside, which not many other hotels have. The rooms are themed, water, earth, wood, and metal they are simply amazing .
Towels, bed linen, bathroom products all top quality . Bed turndown service every night with bottled water beside your bed.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2013

Dear So Guest

Your recommendation and feedback here on Tripadvisor is truly amazing and encouraging. Thank you so much!
We're so happy that your stay with us was totally enjoyable. We hope to see you back soon as we'd like to have the pleasure of seeing you as our regular guest.

WIth So Courtesy

Reviewed March 28, 2013

My girlfriend and I would like to express our sincere pleasure in recently staying at your wonderful hotel in Bangkok. Without any doubt, it was the best hotel I have ever stayed at.

From time to time one hears such well-worn clichés as “the customer comes first” or “service with a smile” and more often than not they are nothing more than overused and meaningless phrases used for marketing purposes. I would like to say that they were much more than that at Sofitel So, they were actual reality.

All of your staff were so friendly, so attentive to detail and their uniforms so beautiful. The service that we received was second to none, absolutely nothing was an issue and everything was attended to promptly and efficiently. However, I would particularly like to highlight a few memorable experiences:

• We were greeted with a beautiful cocktail on our arrival. There was a technical problem with one of the main lights in our room (which, by the way was magnificent in any event), and as a result the manager immediately upgraded us with no questions asked to an even more luxurious suite on the 27th floor. If the first rom was one of the best that we had ever seen, the second was simply outstanding. Again, service with a smile.
• One of the assistant managers spoke to my girlfriend and me for some time after we had received a foot massage and on our second trip organised for me (going beyond the call of duty) an appointment to his dentist so efficiently. What a fantastic guy.
• Unfortunately we had to make numerous international phone calls on our second stay due to a family emergency and I had been informed, after specifically seeking clarification, about the phone tariffs. When I inquired about an interim bill I was initially shocked to see the total charges as they had been calculated quite differently from the information I had previously received. This was simply not an issue for the So Sofitel staff member – she promised to immediately look into the matter, assured me that if I had been informed as to how the cost should be calculated then that would be the way they would be calculated. She corrected the bill and even sought me out in the gym to explain what she had done – I was so grateful. To me this was a clear example of “the customer is always right”.
• One of the ladies serving at breakfast. She spoke to me for several minutes at breakfast time and showed such warmth and interest in my visit.
• One of the computer personnel who attended promptly to a keyboard problem and at our request downloaded photos from a very full camera disk onto a CD for us. Again . . . going beyond the call of duty.

Please pass on our appreciation to all your staff . . . particularly vivid were the warm greetings as we left and returned to the hotel each day, the staff on the 9th floor serving drinks etc., the way we were initially welcomed on both visits with a cool drink on the 9th floor etc.

I could go on and on but just a few more observations:

• As I have mentioned above, the rooms were simply stunning.
• The choices of food at breakfast time on the 7th floor were beyond belief. I think on my last morning I had three glasses of your mango juice, the most delicious I have ever tasted. Simply the most expansive choice and delectable breakfasts I have ever had.

Overall, what a classy and sophisticated hotel! Absolutely 5 star without question, and if I am ever in Bangkok there is no question of where I will be staying and there will be no hesitation in recommending your hotel to other friends and associates who may be visiting Thailand in the future.

Thank you once again for making our stay in Bangkok so memorable.

Dave & Naseem

Room Tip: All of the rooms are simply fantastic!
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear So Guest

We really appreciate your feedback in details and recommendation on Tripadvisor, which has brought us encouragement & pride. Thank you so much!
We cannot be more delighted to hear that our ambassadors were a big part to make your stay memorable & exceptional.

We truly hope we'll have a chance to welcome you back as we love to see you more often and as our regular guest.

Reviewed March 28, 2013

We were both delighted our overall experience at the hotel, we stayed in the Metal themed room, which was well layed out with a fantastic bathroom with a huge bath which was put to good use. Staff were excellent from the time we checked in to the time we checked out. The breakfasts are fantastic with so much selection it creates a great opportunity for a slow and long breakfast. We will certainly stay there again next time we are in Bangkok

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear So Guest

It is so terrific to hear that you will come back and stay at So Bangkok on your next visit again, this is absolutely amazing news!

We are also very happy to hear that your experience at So Bangkok was fabulous and our ambassadors were helpful and friendly. Thank you for sharing such a great encouraging feedback & recommendation about us here on Tripadvisor.