“So Amazing!”

Ranked #16 of 868 Hotels in Bangkok
Canberra, Australia
“So Amazing!”
Reviewed February 12, 2013

My wife and I spent 3 nights in Bangkok for part of our honeymoon in early February 2013. This property is one of the most interesting (and certainly the nicest) Accor properties I have stayed in. The whole experience from check-in to check-out was fantastic.

I had booked a "So Studio" room which I was quite excited about. When we checked in, we were very lucky to be upgraded to one of the "So Spa Suites" which was a lovely surprise. There are only 3 of these rooms in the hotel, and they are on level 11, which is the same floor as the day spa. The floor has calming music playing in the background, dim lighting, and tree trunks lining the corridors. The suites on this floor have a unique "rainforest" theme which was very nice. Our room even had a large round bath on a balcony looking over Lumphini Park, which was fabulous, and from what we could see, it looked like the only room with a balcony in the whole hotel - we were very lucky indeed!

Our room entered into a small living room which proceeded past a walk in robe into the bedroom. The ensuite had its own massage table, and is designed for spa staff to give treatments in the room. You can by all means be treated in the spa itself, but it's quite unique to have a spa treatment in your own room. The room had two large 40" TVs, each with mini Mac, and all the furnishings & fittings were lovely. We also had complimentary (non-alcoholic) minibar which was replenished daily. My only criticism of the room was that the lighting was quite dark. This (I assume) was keeping in the theme of the rest of the floor, however it would be difficult to read a book or do work in the living room if you wanted to. But for relaxing, it was perfect. And let's face it, those who book a So Spa Suite are there to relax, not work!

The bed in the room was fantastic, like all Sofitels. I did notice that we had a bit of road noise coming in through the windows at night. I realise the hotel is in bustling Bangkok, however it was a little more than I had expected. Not unpleasant or too disruptive, just more noticeable than I've experienced in other Sofitels.

As our room is considered to be a "Club" room, we were able to access Club Signature on level 25. This is a fantastic facility, and well worth making the most of if you can. Breakfast in the morning is great, followed by afternoon tea and evening cocktails and canapes. Service in the club is fantastic, and the views are quite nice also. It was never particularly busy, so was a good breakfast alternative to The Red Oven downstairs where the main breakfast buffet is located.

We did not use the pool, but it looked lovely, and the gym looked well equipped. There is also a rooftop restaurant and bar, however we did not dine here as we had booked at Sirocco and figured it would probably be a better view up there (which it certainly was!)

On our second night, we were travelling back to the hotel from Chinatown in a Tuk Tuk, and unfortunately my wife's handbag was snatched by two people who rode past on a motorbike. It was over her arm, and sitting on her lap, but they ripped it from her unexpectedly. I contacted my insurance company, who requested a police report, or hotel incident report. We told reception staff about the incident and they were so very helpful. The Front Office Manager organised for their head of security to escort us to the local police station in the hotel's limousine and was able to translate for us, and assist us in getting the report. They really went above and beyond for us, and did far more than I expected they would. We are very grateful for their assistance.

All staff we encountered were a delight, and it was difficult to tip everyone. We will definitely stay here again when we are next in Bangkok. Thank you Sofitel So!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, October 26, 2014
Dear Khun Geezer001,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

I would like to start by apologizing on the delay of this reply. I am the new appointed General Manager of the Sofitel So Bangkok and one of my ultimate goals is to reply to all reviews on Trip Advisor. Furthermore, I highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your 2013 stay at the So.

Even though you have given us a great review for the most part, there might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back as we love to have the pleasure of better serving you.

So kind regards,

Yves Mudry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (753)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
Reviewed February 12, 2013

I am writing this review prior to our last night here, it is 4pm in the afternoon and our room has still not been serviced, indeed I have had to request it. To say it has been disappointing is an understatement. The customer service leaves a lot to be desired especially if you are two women traveling alone. It is noticeable that the men get the attention, as was our experience on reception and given the buying power of women in the 21st century, it is something the hotel need to be mindful of. The breakfasts are however very good, but the rooms are small and have inadequate wardrobe space. The 'water' elements room which we have, is oppressive and dark, very poor lighting, all decor is black ! The hotel is very expensive as far as food and drinks are concerned. Service charges and tax are an 'add on' that you need to be mindful of. I would not recommend this hotel to anyone, as there are many more in Bangkok that are of a superior nature in every respect.
Heather Harker

Room Tip: Look at the room before you accept it.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Heather H
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
Dear So Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us. I carefully read each point you have raised with sincere concern that you felt neglected by our ambassadors and was not serviced as priority. I am deeply sorry that you felt that way.

I can guarantee to you that at Sofitel So Bangkok, we don't tollerate double standard or any inequality treatments, particularly with the services provided by our ambassadors. Therefore, I have shared this matter with our General Manager, Mr. Gilles Cretallaz and also addressed it to concerned departments to rectify the matter immediately.

I am glad that you enjoyed our breakfast and thank you for the comment on this.

Once again, we do apologise for the inconvenience and frustration you had experienced. We truly hope you would give us the opportunity to welcome you back and serve you better with a more typical and high standards that we are proud of.

Zurich, Switzerland
Reviewed February 11, 2013

I'm travelling all around the world in this kind of hotel, and the Sofitel So Bangkok is the best I ever stayed in. They have created different room atmosphere in each floor (I believe the earth elements like metal, water,air...). The decoration is original, very elegant, staff was perfect, and rooms ultra-modern. View over the city park is great.
After visitng so many different hotels around the globe, it is difficult to surprise me, and this hotel did. I strongly recommend the experience.
The breakfast room is located at an upper floor, with a breathtaking view over the Bangkok skyline, and the variety of food is infinite. They use only the best products.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear So Guest

Wow! We have to say we can't be more proud to get such a brilliant review and recommendation from you! Thank you so much!

Yes...at So Bangkok, our concept & design have been inspired from Chinese fengchui; Earth, Water, Metal, Wood and Fire (public areas including restaurant). So, we hope next time when you return, you would try a different room element. Please give us that opportunity to welcome you as we would love to have the pleasure to have you as our regular guest.

Have a lovely weekend!

Los Angeles
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I stayed in Sofitel So 2 days and I was in a Metal room which was all in white with a very confortable place but with a view on the road. The food is amazing with an friendly service and a great selection of wine. The hotel is so wonderful with an impeccable design.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Dear So Guest

It is wonderful to hear that you had a pleasant stay with us, especially with the services provided by our ambassadors...this is such a great & encouraging news to hear.

We hope you would return soon as we would like to have the pleasure to have you as our regular guest.

Thank you so much for your feedback and we wish you a lovely weekend.

Muntinlupa, Philippines
Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

Checking in was a breeze. You go up to the 9th floor for a welcome drink then they let you choose a theme for your room. I chose WATER which was immaculately done in white. Pristine and clean. Very relaxing. Oh and did I mention the bathtub was huge?

2 Thank mikmarc
Dear So Guest

What a delightful news to hear you had a lovely stay and you enjoyed your Water element room! Yes...the bath tub is massive with a magnificent view of Bangkok is a plus.
Next time when you return, we would like you to try other room elements; Earth theme is very quirky and can be a bit of a change from your routine, while wood theme is elegant and yet homey, and Metal theme is so simple, yet stylishly modern!

We wish you a wonderful weekend and until we meet again, please keep well ;-)

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed February 7, 2013

The first thing that hit us about SO BKK... it was so very dark!

We get the whole bit about mood and design, sure, artistic, design driven and all of that, no problem, but when we got to our room, we'd much prefer that function prevailed over form.

The guest person, Amy, was extremely enthusiastic about showing us how the wifi on the 40" Samsung TV worked. Never mind that. We've stayed in enough hotels with the same kind of TV to know how that works.

Anyway, it didn't work. We couldn't get the code on the screen. It required a few rounds of calls and having IT services in our room before we sorted that out.

We were actually more interested to know how to draw the blinds around the room and the bathroom, and how the other SO clever amenities worked.

With some trial and error, we figured most out for ourselves... although we never quite understood why there was a dressing area in the walk-in "wardrobe" with no light. We thought that, perhaps Murphy's Law would dictate that we'd find that out on our last day instead.

The light from the mini "pantry" shone as far as the entrance of the wardrobe which pretty much rendered the entire dressing area rather useless. Unless making up in the dark was your thing...

Actually, the entire room seemed a few lights short. After turning on all the lights, it still looked liked a moody little boudoir - and I don't mean that in a nice way.

Putting up with it all.... 2 days later, back from a long day out, we came back, turned on the few lights that we have and activated a power trip! The lights didn't work (making a dark room nearly blind dark), the power blinds failed (so we couldn't even get street lighting), and the TV was out cold.

We called Engineering, who came and promptly dismantled a panel above the posh illy coffee machine to reveal tangled and exposed cables and wires which made me feel we could have been safer in a hostel in Khao San.

He snapped the trip back on and banged the cupboard "door" back on. Well, we thought it was a cupboard door all along until we realised it was just a boxed up lid that was used to cover up those messy wires and cables.

And because the room was still so dark, we asked for an additional table lamp to light up the dressing area. When it came, the poor guy couldn't find a plug because it was just so dark, we had to shine a torch for him. Then, we realised there wasn't a plug close enough to light up the lamp. The lamp ended up on a precarious ledge, high on a shelf, with its wire dangling across our clothes.

That's right, wire on our clothes, because you see, there wasn't a wardrobe per se, just an open clothes rack.

Funny? Wish the management was here...

Then, there was the storm and the massive 6-hour power trip. But of course, that wasn't their fault.

But, other things: twice now, we asked for Housekeeping services, excused ourselves to Red Oven, only to return to an unmade room.

Also, the tap at the sink kept leaking. What is going on?

Btw, the receptionist also kept calling us by different names each time we called. I have been "Mr Tay" and some other name.

And who was Mr Edward? The TV addressed me by a different name every day too. So schizo.

We honestly wouldn't have bothered with this feedback if we were indeed staying in a hostel in Khao San and this was what we'd have expected.

But at this sort of price per night, SO BKK should be able to do SOOOOOOOO much better.

Anyway, Amy promised to check my Accor membership at check-in but I haven't heard from her since...

Also, the above comments were sent to the hotel on 2 occasions. Haven't heard from anyone.

Finally, we had to pay for our "complimentary" airport transfer so be clear when accepting this service.

So busy or so complacent?

So not coming back to Sofitel So Bangkok!

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank agentk09
Akira Y, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear So Guest

Thank you for conveying your valueable feedback to us.

I read with concerned and terribly sorry to hear that your experience with us was rather disappointing.
Each point you raised have been carefully noted and shared with our General Manager, Mr. Gilles Cretallaz and concerned departments. I can guarantee to you that appropriate rectification will be urgently conducted.

While I realise there's nothing we can do to change the past, it is very important to us to restore your trust and confident, hence if you don't mind to be personally contact by myself for further discussion and extend apologies, we would be highly appreciated.
Please kindly drop by a quick email to H6835-HR2@sofitel.com so i can contact you back straight away.

We truly hope you would give us the opportunity to serve you better with a more typical and high standards and services that we are proud of.

Thank you for your feedback once again and we are deep sorry for the inconvenience you had experienced.