“Seriously fancy and ultra modern 5* hotel”
Review of SO Sofitel Bangkok

SO Sofitel Bangkok
Ranked #16 of 866 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Seriously fancy and ultra modern 5* hotel”
Reviewed November 21, 2012

I don't often stay in these higher end hotels, but this hotel is one of the most impressive things I have seen for a long time. The theme that runs through the hotel and the quality of the fit out is very well done. The staff here are top of their game, very helpful, super polite and smartly dressed! However, I would agree other reviews that check-in is fairly time consuming and if you arrived at a peak time you may have a wait on your hands.

Room (unsure of type, 14th floor) was of reasonable size - neither large nor small, with a small desk and sofa/ledge near the window. As is typical of these higher end hotels, the bathroom is almost as big as the main room, including a massive shower with rain head and even a separate bathtub. Great amenities, and none of those little bottles of nasty shampoo, these bathrooms come with nice dispensers of very nice smelling soaps etc. The bed was very comfortable, medium firmness with lots of pillows provided.

Hotel location is about 60 baht from Sukhumvit (NOT including traffic) which may make it not necessarily the kind of location you would base yourself if you were coming to Bankok to party it up every night. However it's right near Lumpini park which is also a popular destination for some.

One minor criticism would be that I did find the hotel has out-fancied itself in some respects - an example being the fact that the room service menu is buried inside the tv system, took a while to figure that one out. The hallways and main thoroughfares are quite dark and it's easy to feel a little disoriented when making the elevator swap, but the longer I stayed the more things I started to notice around the place that made me think "wow".

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Dear khun jg161,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

I would like to start by apologizing on the delay of this reply. I am the new appointed General Manager of the Sofitel So Bangkok and one of my ultimate goals is to reply to all reviews on Trip Advisor. Furthermore, I highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your 2012 stay at the So.

Even though you have given us an excellent review, there might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back as we love to have the pleasure of better serving you and seeing you become our regular guest!

Yves Mudry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (751)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed November 19, 2012

We stayed in the Wood Element room for 5 nights.
Could not fault this hotel at all.
From the airport pick up, to check in, everything went smoothly.
The breakfast was the best I have had in some time, almost everything you could imagine.
Staff all very friendly and attentive. Especially Paul!
Met a number of the staff and the GM at the cocktail party which we were invited too.
They really can not do enough for you here.
The chocolate shop is a must do. As part of our package we received some boxed chocolates and were treated to some in our transfer too.
I would highly recommend this hotel, only a 15 minute walk to the main night life area and close to public transport too.
I suggest using your Do not disturb light if you do not want your turn down service too early.
We had a view of the park which was lovely.
Anytime we requested extra water or ice it was promptly delivered with a smile.
Would definately recommend and you can request different pillows which we did too.

Room Tip: Park view rooms up high are great
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank scbling
Dear khun scbling,

Chiangmai
Reviewed November 18, 2012

This is my third time to stay at Sofitel So Bangkok .Everytime we re well welcomed from all staff but for this time it's So special one with club benefits at Recently opened "Club signature by mr. Christian lacroix" It's So beautiful, high fashioned decoration and specially come with a exelent service staffs. We ve enjoyed our afternoon tea, evening cocktails and a gorgeous breakfast in the morning. Room in Water element theme was impressed me,good combination with function and fashion. I love the bath tub with panoramic view of City of angel and Sceneric Lumphini park view.Thanks for my great stay here, I love you So!!!!!!!!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear khun Naitualek,

Gold Coast, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We stayed at Sofitel SO Bangkok in early November. We were there for our honeymoon & they couldnt have made us feel more special. We were in the wood room & absolutely everything about the room was perfect. The bed is the comfiest bed I've stayed in & the pillows devine! The buffet restaurant where we had breakfast & also indulged in dinner one night called The Red Oven is beyond words. The food options available were fantastic & so fresh & tasty!!! Im a real foody & this place impressed!!! We will be talking about Sofitel SO for a long time to come and have already reccommended it to everyone we know.

THANKYOU to Sofitel SO Bangkok!!! We cant wait to get back there.

Room Tip: we had the Wood Room & it was beautiful but im sure they all are!!!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, October 19, 2014
Dear Khun Tam M,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

There might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

Reviewed November 16, 2012 via mobile

Impressive is the word. So unconventional. Checkin was fast, almost virtual without a front desk. All staff were uniquely dressed, so "un-uniformed ". Everybody is so pretty , nice and polite. Room was unique, can choose 4 different moods / elements , and I had the white one. Food was special, open kitchen right in the middle of the Fire restaurant. The location is close to the hawker streets, very convenient for food , shopping or Thai massages. All in all, the hotel is really Different from the norm.

• Stayed February 2012
Dear Khun Dankittraveller,

North China
Reviewed November 16, 2012

An unusual luxury hotel! Luxury and very contemporary with a lot of minimalism. you like it or not. I had a complete white room which remembered me of the Sofitel Vienna which is a design masterpiece of Jean Nouvel. I really liked the Red Oven Restaurant. Exceptional concept. I would have loved to sit on the rooftop bar but they rented it out to groups every single day our conference. that was a real downturn. hope they changed this in the meantime and offer tables for individuals as well

• Stayed April 2012