“SO Sophisticated in Bangkok”
Review of SO Sofitel Bangkok

SO Sofitel Bangkok
Ranked #14 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Paris, France
“SO Sophisticated in Bangkok”
Reviewed August 13, 2012

We stayed 1 night in this hotel ! 23rd floor with an amazing view over the city ; very charming check in with a lot of smiles ! Every information is given via your own little computer ; the large bathroom contains nice amenities and the minibar was complementary . The room with the earth elements are really cosy . The swimming pool is maybe a little cold but a very nice experience with changing colours in the night . Their skybar has very nice cocktails . Downstairs you can experience the Chocolab , very french chocolate. The next public transport is 5min away .We really recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, October 19, 2014
Dear Khun asialover_12,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

I would like to start by apologizing on the delay of this reply. I am the new appointed General Manager of the Sofitel So Bangkok and one of my ultimate goals is to reply to all reviews on Trip Advisor. Furthermore, I highly appreciate you for taking the precious time as to provide your experience during your 2012 stay at the So.

There might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

Please allow us the opportunity to welcome you back as we love to have the pleasure of better serving you and seeing you become our regular guest!

Yves Mudry

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (742)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Bad Abbach, Germany
Reviewed August 12, 2012

The view of the green part is great but the traffic around the hotel is not not very nice at all.
Very beutiful designed from top to the bottom and the foodss are fine. But the hygenic part still needs more efforts such as in the bath room/shower area(shalll be less smelly).

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Khun eurocomet54,

gosier
Reviewed August 9, 2012

We booked earth element superior room. We were upgraded to a room located on the 22nd floor with a very nice view of lumphini park.
Large bathroom with nice amenities, mini bar free, complimentary mini massage 30 minutes, free local calls except mobile. Buffet Breakfast is good but after 4 nights you will know all the breakfast menu !
Bar located at the 29th floor has an amazing view of Bangkok at night.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank amexGosier
Dear Khun amexGosier,

Hong Kong, China
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Stayed 5 nights at Sofitel So for a mix of business and leisure.

Hotel had soft opening in late February 2012 so still very new and ironing out procedures and service issues. There are four different room types, designed by four different designers so rooms can be very hit and miss. Rooms are classed as Metal, Wood, Earth and Water Elements. (Water/Club floor were not yet completed when we stayed)

Lobby is on 9th Floor overlooking Lumpini Park. This is a great reception and welcoming environment as soon as you get out of the elevators. It also has a bar on the far end of the lobby and upon our arrival there was a lobby party going on to promote the So Happy Hour so it was a lively atmosphere.

Staff at hotel are very, very friendly and welcoming. We booked online and upon check in we were served welcome drinks while the paperwork/documents procedures were completed. We were escorted to our assigned Metal Element room and upon reaching the room it was already occupied as the Do Not Disturb sign was on! The check in staff looked really embarrassed and apologised profusely and we we went back to lobby to wait while another room was assigned.

We were re-assigned an Earth Element Room on a higher floor and upon reaching this room the door was open as another member of staff was showing other guests around. It transpired that our check in staff had got the wrong room and we made a short walk to the correct room. She was so embarrassed and explained that the hotel was just 30% occupied so staff were showing guests around all the different rooms so they can see which ones they liked most for their stay.

The Earth Element room itself is interesting. It has Thai inspired elements done in a contemporary / modern way. Personally I found the wall covering and patterns a shade too dark and overall the whole layout of the room and patterns on the wall and curtains look like a child's room. Upon closer inspection the finishing in the room is very poor. The materials for the desk and stool are already scratched and showing the bare material underneath. The side table was chipped and exposed the thin wooden veneer strip and the cheap wood underneath. There was a large rip in the Thai print on the sliding door separating the bathroom from the bedroom where it did not close properly so caused the rip (someone had put clear tape over it to stop it falling off) The shower and toilet doors do not closed properly so when you take a shower the water leaked all over the floor. The plumbing in the bathroom is also very bad as you can smell the sewage from the toilet and wash basin. After spending one night in this room we asked if we could change to another room.

Front Desk staff were great and happily showed us a Wood Element room overlooking Lumpini Park. This was a very different feeling to the Earth Element room. It was more 'homely' neutral wood/beige tones and much better room layout. Personally I like this room much more than the Earth room, but the bathroom shower / toilet doors did not close properly and also same plumbing / smell problems.

All rooms are equipped with Illy Coffee maker and kettle to make hot beverages. Wifi/ TV media is fantastic. Mini mac in the room meant that I did not have to turn on my personal laptop/ipad as I could do all emails and look up stuff on the internet via the TV. You can also connect iphone/ ipods via the mini mac so can have music from your own playlist. Also a nice touch was the minibar was stocked with complimentary soft drinks and snacks. Bed / pillows were super comfy, so had very good sleep during my stay at Sofitel So.

Breakfast at the Red Oven dining area on 7 Floor was sometimes very chaotic. Orders for drinks/food were often forgotten and had to be requested multiple times. Table and chairs are extremely low. Taller guests will find the furniture very uncomfortable to sit on for long periods of time. Even the sofas made you sit back and you have to lean forward of the seat to eat/drink.

Food quality is also very varied. Breakfast Buffet had a good varied choice with cook to order eggs, cold cuts and hot asian foods. Bread/Pastry were very good as expected from a French Hotel.

We had dinner one evening at the Red Oven and it was very disappointing. It was not very busy and most of the other tables were ordering buffet (very similar menu to breakfast!) We decided to ordered a la carte, Roasted Chicken, seasonal vegetable and french fries and my dining companion ordered salmon with mashed potatoes and asparagus. It was 45 minutes before my chicken arrived first with the wrong side orders. (no sign of the salmon) and after another 10 minutes the salmon was served. I discovered after cutting into my chicken that it was still raw on the inside so it was sent back. After another 15 minutes the same chicken re-appeared with the correct side orders. This time the chicken was totally overcooked with the skin charred black. By now my friend had already finished their meal and I was beyond waiting for another chicken to be cooked so I just ate around the charred bits and side dishes.

Waitress came to ask if everything was OK when we asked for the bill and when we pointed out the disjointed service and the undercooked/overcooked chicken she just smiled and walked away. She did give us 20% off the overall bill in compensation for the wait and poor chicken dish.

Overall the hotel has great potential as it does offer something new and different in the Sathorn/Silom area. They do however have some work to iron out ie. exposed wiring/poor construction finishing in some public areas as well as the poor furniture/plumbing in the rooms.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank MaxSpark
Nusara A, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you so much for taking your time to give us your feedback on your recent experience with us at Sofitel So Bangkok.

We have noted each point you have raised and would like to apologize for an experience which left you with dissatisfaction, particularly for the disappointments with the arrival experience and services quality at the Red Oven restaurant. Nevertheless, We are glad to learn that you found the receptionist was friendly and welcoming. This is encouraging and I have already passed on the comment to the team.

On the behalf of Sofitel SO Bangkok, I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience and disappoinment you experienced once again. Please rest assured that your feedback has been raised up to the concerned departments to regtify the problems and ensure a high service quality is consistently delivered.

We hope you would give us another opportunity to welcoming you back in order to restore your trust and confident.

We thank you for your valuable feedback as it helps us in driving our standards to the best.

Warmest Regards

Akira Yan-Ubol
So Experience Guru
Manhattan Beach, California
Reviewed August 7, 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the hotel at the end of July 2012. From the moment we landed to the moment we took off, the hotel staff took care of us like royalty. The service was impeccable. They greeted us at our gate, picked us up in a BMW, and had snacks waiting for us in the car. While at the hotel, the service continued to be immaculate. The food was wonderful (had brunch there -- highly recommend the fresh baby coconuts!), the scenery was beautiful (everything is decorated so nicely), and the ambiance was fantastic. After over 24 hours of traveling, it was pure bliss to walk into the doors of the Sofitel So. I also highly recommend a massage (we did a couples massage upon arrival). They pamper you to the extreme and it's all reasonably priced.

Room Tip: We stayed in the "earth room"...I highly recommend it. They host a pool party on Satur...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RunCocoRun
Yves M, General Manager at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, October 20, 2014
Dear khun RunCocoRun,

So-wasdee khrub from Sofitel So Bangkok.

Even though you have given us an excellent review, there might have been some challenges during your first visit then, however, I can guarantee you now that if your plan brings you back to Bangkok and that you choose to return to Sofitel So Bangkok again, your experience will be thoroughly enjoyable and memorable.

Reviewed August 7, 2012

Absolutely amazing, the technology in the rooms with the mac minis is out of this world, the staff are incredibly friendly and helpful, check in was super easy, dinner in the roof top restaurant was expensive but worth every baht. I stay in hotels all over the place and no less than 20 a year and this is by far the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Well done team!

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Khun Craig8329,

Hillerod, Denmark
Reviewed August 7, 2012

We stayed in the "So Comfy" Earth Element room for two nights. First, the taxi driver couldn't find the hotel, and we had to navigate him through the city to find it. Good thing we had a GPS in our phone! Later, we found out that almost none of the taxi drivers knew the hotel location. Another problem is the area... traffic is so heavy, you cannot go anywhere without being stuck in traffic for long time. BTS is 10-15 min. walk away, and it is a very HOT journey along one of the busiest roads in Bangkok.

First, when we arrived, we were welcomed by this really nice guy, who spoke an excellent english, he was really polite and told us some stories about the hotel. Then we went to the lobby at 9th. floor for check-in. Here, we were presented to the welcome-drink, a fun gimmick where they bring these glasses to the table and mix the drink, which changes color when the last ingredient is added. Then we started a magical journey to 21st floor, where our element room was located. We were happy to find out that we had a view over the Lumphini Park. Though we had to look out through dirty windows - they looked like they haven't been washed or polished at all, on the outside that is. What a shame. The room was as taken out of a fairy tale, WOW!

After the first day, we really enjoyed the comfy bed. We went out the first night, and found out that nobody in the reception area on ground floor were greeting or asking for help getting a taxi. Everytime we had to go to them and "interrupt" them while they were doing nothing.

When walking around the hotel, the staff in Red Oven seems to be very bored. It is not a busy restaurant, and we only spotted a couple of people eating lunch or dinner there. The prices are a joke - over 300 baht for a Tom Ka Gai soup! 690 baht for kids meal? 180 baht for a Latté, that wasn't even warm when brought to our room... And then there is this awkward feature, when signing the paper brought to you with the items ordered to the room: you have to fill in your name and room number of course, but then there is this field called "Tip", and i guess they think it's normal to tip everybody for even the smallest thing. Like bringing a cold cup of hot latté to the room.

We paid a fortune to get breakfast included to our room. But what a joke. Tables in Red Oven are so close to each other, that you can almost smell what they eat on the table next to you. The breakfast buffet was a joke. They ask you what you would like to drink, without presenting any list of choices for you. So i just ordered some orange juice and boiled egg. The eggs never arrived to our table, i guess they forgot. Breakfast buffet ends at 10:30, i can understand that, but 15 minutes earlier, staff starts to take the buffet down, not caring about the many guests still eating and picking food from the buffet. The buffet was a joke anyway - such a mess, impossible to find anything. Bread and pastry is located one place - cold cuts and cheese - a completely different place. Had problems locating the butter too.

The hotel focuses a lot of their energy on promoting countless events, and during our stay two filmcrews were shooting in the kitchen and at a common area. I guess there will be a lot of partying going on in the weekends, and with only 4 lifts it will get "fun" to share those with the party-crowd i guess... The Hi-So Club is not accessible unless you are "something". The Park Society bar has this crazy dresscode, with no flip flops and no shorts. That means many hotel guests. I guess they don't want us to use these facilities.

They have these nice rooms for people who wants to relax and enjoy a good time, but the rest of the hotel is so snobbish! What a shame.

Wanted to book 4 more nights, but instead we will go to Hansar.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
5 Thank Thomasloewe
Nusara A, So Experience Guru at SO Sofitel Bangkok, responded to this review, August 10, 2012
Dear Valued Guest,

We have noted each point you have raised and would like to apologize for an experience which left you overall dissatisfied, particularly for the disappointments with the Street Lobby team, Red Oven breakfast and service, and the in-room dinning experience.

We would like to discuss your experience with us in more detail but unfortunately we cannot obtain your details directly from the Tripadvisor site. So, please feel free to provide your contact details to us via H6835-HR2@sofitel.com. As a Guest Experience and Quality Manager myself, will contact and discuss with you at length about the dissatisfied experience for further follow up.

However, at this stage, we can guarantee to you that all the points from your feedback have been brought up to management team and further follow ups have been ongoing. For example; in order to promote the hotel location among taxi services, we just recently hold a taxi campainge event for 2 days by inviting taxis in Bangkok to participate. The event went exceedingly well and over 600 taxis participated.
Please also rest assured that the management team of our Food & Beverage is looking into it to improve all points you kindly commented.

We are sorry once again for your experience. We pride ourselves on our open management approach and commitment to guest satisfaction. On that note; I look forward to hearing from you and thank you again for your valuable feedback, which certainly helps us improve to the best standards.

Warmest Regards