“Luxurious Hotel Heaven”

Ranked #8 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Melbourne, Australia
“Luxurious Hotel Heaven”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Arrived here after a nightmare experience in another hotel and the bad memories just melted from our minds as soon as we entered. Stunning decor & excellent service.
The pool is one of the best, with excellent garden & city views. The cafe in the lobby served a delectable a La Carte breakfast. I recommend the buckwheat crepes with herb & spinach filling. I would have this over the buffet breakfast.
The beds were lush and a great size for tall people even in the twin rooms.
There is a complementary mini bus service to the central shopping district and train station. You may well want to go around the block a few times however, as the bus seat give a great massage!
Didn't have one negative issue here and will be going back.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Deelish33
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Deelish33,

Thank you very much for your kindness. We always strive to provide the best for our guests and I am so delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. I will be certain to share your comments with the team. I look forward to welcoming you again next time you are back in Bangkok!

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (439)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
seattle
Reviewed January 16, 2013

we have stayed in many wonderful bkk hotels and but this may be our new favorite! thank you for a perfect stay. returning to the residence after a day on the town was a pleasure. we will most definitely stay here on our next visit.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank lakecity
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Dear lakecity,

I am very pleased to hear your comments about your recent stay. Thank you so much.

I realize that you have many choices for hotel accommodations while visiting Bangkok and I am honored to hear that the Oriental Residence will be your first choice upon your next trip to the city.
We look forward to welcoming you back very soon!

Edmonton, CA
Reviewed January 16, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in early January. Overall, very impressed by the hotel's decor and service.

Location is good, about 15 minutes walk from the major shopping areas (Siam Square, Chitlom, etc.) Across the street from the hotel are a bunch of food vendors. Excellent way of getting a cheap and tasty breakfast.

Room is very nicely decorated, was given a fruit basket on arrival. Beds are super comfortable too.

Definitely would stay here again. Great Bangkok hotel!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank lizuming
Dear lizuming,

Thank you for sharing your thought. I am so pleased that you liked our accommodations and had the opportunity to enjoy the neighborhood. We greatly appreciate your comments about the level of service and I will be sure to share them with our team. We look forward to welcoming you back!

New Canaan, Connecticut
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Don't know where to begin. We chose this location because of being #1 on Trip Advisor, and because of the size of the rooms. We had our daughter with us and wanted a second bedroom/bathroom. The same such room at the Mandarin Oriental would have cost around $3000./night. We thought we were taking a step down in service and luxury in exchange for a bigger room. Wow, we were wrong. It turned out to be the best thing we could have done. The rooms are huge. Think like a new, modern NYC apartment. Everything is top of the line. And, super clean. The residences are also for sale on the higher floors, and go for more than a million US dollars in some cases, so maybe that helps paint a picture.

Okay, so we have a perfect room, but what did it for me was the service and charm of the staff. So friendly, so willing to do anything to make the stay perfect. Such warmth radiates from all the workers. They helped me with so many things, like finding my place of worship on Sunday. Etc. Room service was never more than 30 minutes. We paid for breakfast to be included, and the staff in the restaurant were amazing. My wife is a fan of goat cheese, and they always saw that my wife had some every morning. As I read the very few negative reviews on Trip advisor, one of the complaints was that the buffet wasn’t as large as they were used to. Understand, this has the feel of a more boutique hotel, this is not a 1000 room mega hotel. So the buffet is smaller than a large hotel, but they fix you a hot entree of your choice, and the buffet, though smaller than a large hotel was of the highest quality offerings and the staff service was impeccable.

Another complaint I read on trip advisor is that some of the staff didn’t speak perfect english. It’s true, you have to speak more slowly, and listen more carefully to the english, but that is part of the charm. I don’t want people with perfect american accents brought in. I like feeling the local warmth of the people. And, communicating slower, they always got it right, and and the smiles and warmth of the staff more than compensated for any lack of any perfect english skills. I am at plenty of hotels where they speak perfect english, and don’t get it right, and the service is not as good. Here, impeccable. As far as the very few other negative reviews on trip advisor, I wondered if they had stayed at the same resort as me. Some people just see it as their mission to be miserable even in perfect conditions.

Finally, is the location. It is in a more upscale part of Bangkok....We overlooked the U.S. Ambassador’s residence, away from all the touristy feel which is really appealing to me, and yet it was close enough to the sky train, and close enough to some of the better shopping areas.

I am currently writing this review from the Ritz-Carlton Hong Kong and am a Ritz-Carlton platinum member, so I am used to upscale hotels, but because of the amazing rooms, and the warm hospitality of the staff, I would rank this as perhaps one of the top 3 most enjoyable hotels I have ever stayed at in the world. I will probably come back just to stay there again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BradfordR
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, January 28, 2013
Dear BradfordR,

First of all I must thank you for your generous words regarding our staff. In our hiring process, we strive to hire experienced knowledgeable associates who provide genuinely friendly service. This is the level of service and generosity we aim to deliver and you described it perfectly. Thank you for your detailed review. I will be certain to share your comments with the team.

We appreciate your recommendation and thank you for rated us as one of your top 3 hotels in the world! We look forward to welcoming you again.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013 via mobile

This is a really beautiful hotel in a somewhat scummy city. A gem amongst the rough! We stayed here in January 2013.

Perfect rooms. Very spacious. Great service. Handy location although always bring a map with you for cab drivers as none of them in Bangkok know where to go or can speak English. Definitely worth doing as our experiences with cab drivers was disastrous.

• Stayed January 2013
Dear Alycat1981,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I am pleased to hear that you had a great time with us and enjoyed the hotel. We appreciate your recommendation and hope to see you again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Beautiful hotel
Friendly, helpful staff
Very family friendly (we stayed with a 9 week old baby and the hotel provided the cutest cot)
Great value for money
Couldn't think about anything bad to say about this hotel. Will definitely stay again and can only highly recommend it.

• Stayed October 2012
3 Thank Kathi_WB
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, January 16, 2013
Dear Kathi_WB,

Thank you very much. I am happy to hear that you and your little one enjoyed our baby crib. Your kind comments about the level of service you experienced are greatly appreciated and I will be sure to share them with the team. We hope to see you and your little one again soon!

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The location is great, next to Netherland and US embassy which provide a very green ambient. Walking distance to train station and Lumpini park. Room very clean and contemporary. It is more of a service apartment so breakfast is not included in the price, but we loved the stay.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank S D
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, January 15, 2013
Dear S D,

Thank you for sharing your stay with the Tripadvisor community. I am happy to hear you enjoyed our room, location and the views. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.