“Best value and great experience”

Oriental Residence Bangkok
Ranked #8 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
new westminster
“Best value and great experience”
Reviewed September 23, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 1 week and stayed in 2-bedroom suit . We booked through a travel agent and got a good deal for average US $280 per night and come with free deluxe breakfast every morning and late check-out option. We loved it so much. We would like to be back there again.

Like-
-professional staff
-clean and goos size residence
-refined accommodation surrounded by a lush enclave in the centre of the city
-.Fully-equipped kitchen,Hardwood & Marble flooring,Personal safe,Fully stocked minibar ....
-In-residence dining, Complimentary wireless Internet access

Dislike-
-none

Room Tip: city view and late check-out
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank jack m
Paul Issanan S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear jack m

I am very pleased to learn you enjoyed your stay with us and that you are considering returning to visit us again. We certainly look forward to welcoming you back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Executive Assistant Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (446)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Mexico
Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

Absolutely beautiful boutique hotel in Bangkok. Stunning decor, tranquil and superb service. Highly highly recommended! Impeccably clean with lovely views from the beautiful rooms. Would love to stay there again. Just lovely.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank CarreeBee
Paul Issanan S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear CarreeBee,

I am very pleased to learn of your positive impressions after your stay with us at the Oriental Residence Bangkok. Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor and for recommending our hotel.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Singapore
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Where do I begin???

Everything about this hotel is simply fantabolous (if there is even such a word). In addition, this hotel is ideal for families with young babies / toddlers / kids.

I travelled with my husband and my baby daughter. We booked a room with the hotel for a night as we would be staying at another hotel for the next 3 days.

After a tiring flight, we were welcomed by the most welcoming group of staff I have ever met. The bell boy / doorman even offered to carry my daughter who was asleep in her car seat. They made sure that we were not carrying anything and settled all our luggage bags.

The front desk was not the conventional stand-and-wait-for-them-to-process-paperwork counters that usually would take really long. We were seated at the table with a very polite female staff who spoke fluent English. She said she was expecting us and all the admin work took less than 5 minutes. She even rushed in to the back room to get the ORB plush teddy bear to give to my already asleep daughter.

We were of course escorted personally to our room where she explained all the amenities and facilities available at the hotel. As I have already informed the hotel that I would be traveling with a baby, they placed a beautiful white cot (just like the one we have at home), Philips-Avent bottle sterilizer and a welcome care kit for my daughter. The room was the perfect size for us and the small kitchenette was a blessing as I got to wash and sterilize the bottles, heat up my daughter's frozen porridge in the microwave and make a nice hot pot of tea for me and my husband to enjoy after we have put our daughter to sleep. The furnishings were classy and elegant - by Barbara Barry - what else can you ask for right? The bed was just right and they had a pillow menu which was in layman's language so it made it easier for us the choose the right one to fit our needs.

We ordered room service as we were too tired to go out for dinner. The food came in 20 minutes and it was delicious!!! I thought I would have to spend a fortune since this hotel is classy and all but it was truly affordable. The food was sooo great that we ordered breakfast in the next day.

The pool and the lounges was like a page out of those travel magazines that I often read. It was soo niceee and comfortable. They even have a baby pool. It would have been great if the water was heated so that we could enjoy the pool even longer.

My husband and I personally feel that the hotel management has really studied other hotels and listened to customer's feedback because the layout of the room was perfect. The bathroom, vanity counter, wardrobe, bed, couch, dining table & chair - all fitted in nicely in the room. The classic design and furnishings of the hotel as a whole added that touch which left a lasting impression on us. Not to mention the immaculately dressed staff who fitted well with the image of the hotel. They were so elegantly dressed that you wouldn't think that they were working there! The hotel really looked into the details that made our stay more pleasurable.

I just hope that the hotel management would ensure that the room rates remain affordable for avid travellers like myself who likes to enjoy a bit of luxury, now and then.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank morningloryee
Dear morningloryee,

Thank you for choosing the Oriental Residence Bangkok for your recent stay and for recommending your experience on Trip Advisor. Also, thank you for taking the time to post a detailed review of your recent stay.

I am very pleased to learn how much you and your family enjoyed the time with us. I sincerely appreciate your comments about the staff, management and all the great amenities we provide.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your family back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Hong Kong
Reviewed September 19, 2012

Having read so many one-sided glowing reviews of this place on here, I had rather high hopes when I took my husband and toddler there for a long weekend. And while it turned out to be one of best hotels I've stayed in in Bangkok (and I've stayed in pretty much all of the 5-star ones), it didn't take me long to notice some glaring problems.

First impression

Many of the reviews here seem to suggest that the General Manager is always there to meet and greet and make every guest feel welcome. Well during our 4-day stay we certainly were never met and greeted by the man himself. We did however see him mingling with a very dressed-up couple one afternoon, without talking to anyone else in the lobby. I just feel sort of obliged to let people know that they probably shouldn't all be expecting a personal welcome from the GM...

The reception area is airy and bright, that I like. Most of the doormen and reception staff were friendly and helpful upon our arrival. However I say "most" because the ORB, much like other high-end hotels in Thailand, seems to suffer the problem of inconsistent quality of staff - there are always a minority who look miserable or bored, are abrupt in their response, or are a bad fit for their position.

The lady who took us to our room offered a quick tour of the room without prompting, which was nice. She also informed us that she had "worked very hard" to get us a nicer room with a park view, which might have something to do with the fact that the hotel had failed to respond to my request for a cot a month after I emailed them, and had only agreed to give us a cot after two further emails and me telling them that if there is no cot then we couldn't stay there as I was not going to let our child sleep on the floor.

Room

We were in a one-bedroom suite which was a good size. Loved the kitchenette which was very well-equipped. Bed was as good as everyone else said. Aircon units actually worked, rather than being either too hot or too cold. The biggest problem was the water pressure in the shower which was the worst we had seen in Thailand - it was impossible to have a decent shower. The control for the water temperature was also quite awkward.

Pool

Nice design, can do with a few more lounge chairs. Hardly any staff around so could be tricky if you want to order drinks or snacks.

Restaurant

I tried to stay away from Cafe Claire after reading the reviews here, but succumbed when we were in a rush one day. Food was bad, as others had mentioned. But they took the food off the bill which was very gracious of them. Slightly disappointing that they still haven't got their act togerth in the kitchen after all the criticism on here (which the GM reads) though. My cocktail however was very good.

General maintenance

There were details here and there that made me think "what a shame - it could have been a better place without much more effort". Things like the up/down lift buttons which, rather than pointing north/south, pointed south-east or north-west. And the door between the living room and the bedroom that doesn't actually shut because the door was not mounted properly. And the loose tiles around the pool. In short, things that can be fixed (and should have been noticed long ago) easily and which can make one's impresison of the place a hundred times better.

Housekeeping

Room not cleaned half of the time even after we have pressed the "clean room" button. And then in the morning when we were due to check out, the cleaner came around asking if she could clean the room.

One last note

I'm not sure if it's a Thailand thing, an Asian thing (hold the fire, I'm Asian myself), or something else, but whenever I would call the reception they would answer the call by addressing me as "Mister", and when I would arrange for a dinner booking it would be booked under my husband's name (who did not participate in the arrangement/discussion at all). It's almost as if they cannot believe that a woman would ever make a call or could make a decision on anything - even when it is the woman who had booked and paid for the hotel, something which can be easily seen on the system. I had the same issue with the St Regis last time and I had voiced my concerns with them - which I haven't done with the ORB. Would be curious to know what the ORB has to say about this. Suffice to say, I really really hate this.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank WTTA
Paul S, Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, October 4, 2012
Dear WTTA,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback regarding your recent stay at the Oriental Residence Bangkok. We appreciate all forms of guest feedback as it is through constructive comments that we are able to continually improve our services and facilities for our guests.
Please accept my sincerest apologies for your disappointment in some areas on your recent visit. We certainly did not wish to leave you with a negative impression of our Hotel and hope that you will give us another opportunity to regain your complete confidence. We look forward to welcoming you back so that we can show that we stand behind our commitment.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife and I just had the pleasure of staying at the Oriental Residence while visiting Bangkok. I am an airline pilot so I spend a large percentage of my time in hotels and I must say that our stay there was one of the nicest hotel experiences I have had in a while. There was a special when we booked for a complimentary upgrade to a one bedroom suite if staying 4 nights or more. The suite had a full size refrigerator and stove, dishes and silverware, pots and pans, a coffee maker and table for two. There was also a nice desk, a sofa, and a 40 inch (a guess) flat screen television. The bedroom also had a large flat screen television, a dresser, two closets, and a very comfortable king size bed with a white duvet. All the controls for the oven, stove, and air conditioning were modern. However, one night we set the wrong temperature in celsius and woke up to what felt like a cold winter's morning back in the USA. It felt great but neither of us wanted to get up to change the temperature. So, we stayed in bed all morning under the warm duvet. The bathroom is a large as a Japanese hotel room. The bathtub is deep enough for a baptism and the shower fits 4. That's a joke, but I'm sure it would. There is a sink with a mirror and across the room a vanity with a chair. The staff was very courteous and helpful. We especially would like to thank Dom, Ice, Sai , and the night bellman who's name may or may not be Tom. Thank you all for making our trip such a pleasant experience and forgive me for misspelling your names. Another thing: I told no one it was my wife’s birthday but they must have checked her passport. We returned from the floating market on her birthday to find a pastry under glass with a tiny chocolate happy birthday plaque on top and a hand written birthday card from the hotel manager. The only bad thing I can say about this hotel is that it’s so "comfy" that you may want to hang out all day in the hotel, as we did once, instead of venturing out.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank KimjerryH
Dear KimjerryH,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay with us at the Oriental Residence Bangkok.

I am very pleased to learn that you and your wife thoroughly enjoyed your stay and that you regard your stay to be one of the best. Thank you sincerely for commending our service team in this regard. Your kind recognition will be very well received.

I look forward to an opportunity to welcome your return to the Oriental Residence Bangkok in the near future.

Oslo, Norway
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,609 helpful votes
Reviewed September 16, 2012

I have been to Bangkok many times. I have stayed at the Banyan Tree hotel, Hansar Bangkok, and Four Seasons amongst others. The Oriental Residence outruns them all, and I can´t imagine that you will find a better place to stay right now in this crazy city.

First of all the location is perfect. Not right in the middle of the wild traffic and sky train at Thanon Phloen chit road, but close enough to walk to the city center. It will take you about 15 minutes to reach the big shopping malls. The hotel is nicely situated between the Dutch and the American embassy.

The hotel has an interior decor which is one of the nicest I have seen. It differs from the typical asian style hotel with rather dark wood and colors. The Oriental residence is bright, shiny and beautiful. The lobby is extremely nice with a mile high roof ceiling and lots of sun light during the day.

Restaurant Claire is to the left when you enter the lobby. You will have your breakfast here, as well as a nice dinner later in the evening if you do not want to leave the hotel. The prices are reasonable and the restaurant is as nice as any top notch cafe or restaurant in Paris, as the style is - given the name - very french.

After stepping out of one of the coolest elevators in town, you will soon discover that the rooms are perhaps even nicer than the lobby.

We had room number 1901, a corner suite with a view of the American embassy. It was amazing! Floor to ceiling windows, a balcony, a perfect bed and a huge bathroom with all the amenities. We did not want to leave when our five days stay came to an end. We liked the room so much that we are thinking of changing the interior style of our own apartment.
And did I mention the pool area? Just perfect!

Finally I would like to add that the people at this hotel are just as beautiful and nice as the interior decor of the hotel. Friendly, polite, helpful and caring. My wife got ill and had to stay in bed for a few days. I had a chat with the GM during breakfast and he noticed that I ate alone. I mentioned that she was sick. Later that day a nice bouquet of flowers and a note with "get well wishes" were delivered to our room. A fantastic gesture which made us both happy.

I can not say enough good things about this hotel and its staff. You just have to experience it for your self. We will definitely be back!

Room Tip: 1901 or another corner suite. Perfect!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Imedvindfranord
Dear Imedvindfranord,

Thank you for choosing to stay at the Oriental Residence Bangkok and for taking the time to post a detailed review of your recent stay. I am very pleased to read that you and your wife enjoyed the time with us.

I am also very pleased to read your appraisal of our team, services and facilities and I know my colleagues will be equally pleased to learn of your kind remarks and recognition of their efforts to meet your needs.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you and your wife back and hope to exceed your expectations once again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 16, 2012

and spoilt rotten by the sterling service, tasteful decor and facilities at Oriental Residence, which is ten minutes away from the nearest BTS station (Phloen Chit) by foot. The area is safe and slightly less congested than the usually-jammed roads in Bangkok, possibly because this stretch is lined with embassies.

The first to last encounter with the staff made both of us very happy. All of them were professional, friendly, efficient and proficient. The room we stayed in was quaint, spacious, very clean and planned with an eye for detail such as a pillow menu and technology kit box. Bedsheets, bed and towels were plush and comfy. The quality of breakfast at cafe Claire was quite impressive, and items like pancakes and french toast were done especially well. The poolside is very pretty and has great deck chairs for lazing on. The thing I liked least was that there was rather scant regard for the toiletries provided (only conditioning shampoo - no conditioner, no cotton buds/wool etc)

We were very lucky to have found out about this Wireless road gem in its soft launch and really hope that it continues to maintain such high standards after launching officially!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travel0philia
Patrick S, General Manager at Oriental Residence Bangkok, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear TravelOphilia

Thank you for your wonderful feedback on our service and facilities. I was very pleased to hear that you very much enjoyed our unique Cafe Claire restaurant where we serve gourmet comfort food in the plush surroundings of the embassy gardens on Wireless.
In addition, Thank you for highlighting the toiletries selection that was insufficient at the poolside - we will look into the matter.

I do look forward to welcoming you back soonest.

Kind regards