“Ambience, atmosphere, and great food”
Review of Salt Aree

Salt Aree
Ranked #4,323 of 11,055 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Ari
“Ambience, atmosphere, and great food”
Reviewed July 1, 2012

SALT is an oasis in the restaurant landscape of Bangkok. They offer traditional Thai cuisine cooked with love but also carefully picked European favorites twisted with the professional touch of the charismatic owner. The list of wine and spirits is impressive. Our dining experience was elevated also by the ambient video art projected in the wall. My new favourite in Bangkok!

• Thai first
Bangkok
“Poor Customer Service”
Reviewed June 14, 2012

I have several issues with my recent visit.

First, I live near by and this is my 5th or 6th visit. The service has been steadily declining but last night topped the pile. I did not have a reservation, and was promptly seated in the "dungeon" (a small room in the back) where the aircon was barely on and the table cloth was filthy! There where very nice seats "reserved" in the main building and outside. Many of these same table where never occupied during my 1.5hr visit.

Upon ordering the waitress did not know the menu and was confused by my ordering. I speak some Thai and my girlfriend is Thai so translation was not a problem. She simply did not know the menu. We place our order. After 45 min with no food and the tables around us (arriving and ordering after) all had food we inquired about our order. We where told that they were very busy and were sorry for the delay. STOP...just tell us you forgot to put the order in and it will be OK!!!

Food finally arrives...Dish#1 food was OK but we had asked for chilies on ordering and had to ask twice after the food arrived, Dish#2 no chop sticks and no soya sauce for the sushi! Dish #3 Fish was over cooked and not fresh Dish#4 we did not even order this dish. The waitress could not even tell us in Thai or English what it was. Finally the best she could do was tell us it was crab. Instead of complicating things further we accepted the dish. It was good but still not what we ordered. The waitress was revealed that we accepted the dish and thanked my girlfriend quietly in Thai because she did not want to get in "trouble" for the wrong dish.

Got the bill and asked to speak with the manager. Was told that she was busy and could we wait 10-15 min. No we cannot wait, because the manager (whom I have met on previous visits) is sitting at the bar with a friend and a glass of wine laughing. Never mind, this is the last bill I will pay at this establishment.

Sadly, this place has tremendous potential not only in food but also location. The management has failed to train the staff and remember that it is customers that pays the bills. Very poorly managed and run!

• Visited June 2012
Bangkok, Thailand
“an enjoyable thai experience...”
Reviewed March 16, 2012

Im a regular at SALT and to thailand. i enjoy the food immensely and the thai peoples warm and friendliness. SLAT is a thai owned restaurant with a largely thai clientele in a thai residential (ie non touristic) neighbourhood. the place is very popular/crowded on the weekends and the staff try there best which is the most important thing if you are thai. however if you are after a 5 star western hotel/resort experience please go to these places not local thai places. if you are polite, friendly and understanding your trip to thailand will be enjoyable. if you bring western values of service with you then you will generally be frustrated and disappointed...

• Visited March 2012
5 Thank drxian
United Kingdom
“Was good when it opened, and went right down hill... fast”
Reviewed February 13, 2012

We live nearby and visited this restaurant several times in the early part of 2011, and found the service poor, but the pizzas good and prices reasonable. Since then, prices have increased, service quality has declined dramatically (you're lucky if they pay you any attention on arrival), and the wait for a tables and for food has increased (70 minutes one time, 45 minutes the last time). Last two times we visited, they mixed up our orders.

We won't be going back, and I don't suggest you go.

• Visited January 2012
Paris, France
“Terrible service”
Reviewed December 28, 2011

We stopped at this restaurant as we walked past it. We loved the setting, the atmosphere and the menu proposed great food. It was past 9.30 PM on a Saturday night. We asked for a free table on the front lawn for the 4 of us. They told us it was booked, so we had to wait at the bar with cocktails for another table to be set for us. There, we ordered a pizza, calamaris, duck rolls and 2 Hoogarten beers. They said they were out of Hoogartens and that we'd have Asahi instead. The calamaris came within 10 min, then the pizza after another 15 min...and duck rolls never came. My Thai friends asked why, and they said they forgot and that the kitchen was closed by then, so we'd have to forget that part as well. Another thing they forgot was the beers, and we had to threaten them to leave without paying so that they bring us...2 Heinekens.
Now comes the bill ! I would have bet they'd charge the undelivered duck rolls. I was wrong on that, but the mistakes were there : 6 cocktails charged instead of 4, and 4 beers charged instead of 2. I went to see the manager with one of my Thai friends, she didn't apologize, only mentioning they had "waiter problems", whatever that means, and which is not my problem.
Needless to say, as we left, the table on the front lawn was still empty. I'm sure the whole place will soon be empty as well if it is still that poorly managed.

• Visited December 2011