“Best fish in Bangkok”

Cuisines: Seafood, New Zealand
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: A New Zealand culinary experience. We have a huge range of sustainable wild catch NZ Fish & Seafood, Free range pasture fed NZ Lamb, NZ Beef & NZ Venison. We have NZ Chips, NZ peas and we use only NZ butter & cream. All our sauces and conserves are homemade, as is our ice cream, breads, sausages, bacon, all our deserts etc. - basically we make everything in house ourselves. We even smoke all our own seafood & bacon using NZ native Manuka wood. To top it all off we stock the largest range of NZ wines in Thailand and have great range of NZ beers & ciders. This is your "one night in New Zealand" - Please enjoy / He pārekareka ki tēnā
Reviewed February 17, 2013

My husband and I regularly eat here as the fish is second to none. It has just been extended and refurbished and even though this was a major refit, the food remains excellent. The staff are always attentive and the owner is one of the nicest ladies you could hope to meet. We have converted our friends (American and. Dutch) to eating here also. When we have had our son and daughter visiting this is alway somewhere we take them to eat. We will probably have more visitors this year and Snapper will definetly be one of our chosen places for dinner.

1  Thank Alibaba1

Reviewed February 13, 2013

I'd heard good things about this place and found the reports to be justified. Really good fresh food - i don't think I've had a crisper iceberg lettuce in this town! Big range of fish and great chips. Good value for money - for those who think it's not it's all imported ingredients - not some fish from the nearby klong! Service was attentive and pleasant. My only complaint was that my main came while I was finishing off the entree but it was piping hot so it could afford to sit for a few minutes. Nice decor inside and pleasant to sit outside in the Soi. For those not into seafood there seemed to be a good range of non-seafood options.

2  Thank Sean R
Reviewed February 9, 2013

I'm an Aussie who just started living in Sukhumvit.
So I was quite excited to find this place for some authentic fish&chips, and maybe a good Aussie/Kiwi drop on the side.

The food was quite decent, the tarakihi obviously fresh and well-crumbed, the rocket salad a well sized portion and tasty. I wouldn't have minded a few more choices for a wine by the glass, but I imagine it must be tough to keep an open bottle for long in Thai climate.

Yet where this otherwise promising restaurant really lets itself down is the service: the waitresses (all of them Thai, with limited to okay English) are all very friendly and willing to help, they were clearly in over their heads: All I can say is that it took me a 20 minutes to get the bill, after asking 6 times to 4 different waitresses. It was almost a surreal scene: after I ask for the bill ("check bin duoy khap!"), I would see the waitress hurriedly run around for a few minutes, asking things to other waitresses, and then rushing past by my table (without the bill!) 5 mins. later - at which point I would give up and ask another waitress, only to see the same spiel play out again!
In the end, I gave up and walked to the counter, and politely asked if they still wanted my money. The answer was yes, and I was finally able to pay.

Their food is good, I live very near there and wouldn't mind a fresh bite to eat on weekday evenings - but seeing the service speed, I'm thinking it may be quicker to grab a kuay-teow on the street. It's a pity.

SnapperNZ, Kitchen at Snapper New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Hi gypsyinabigtown, glad to hear that you enjoyed our food and our apologies about your poor service experience in paying your bill. We have recently expanded our restaurant (renovations are only just finished this month) and I think that you experienced a ‘hole’ created by the increased patronage and popularity on a busy night which would have put additional stress on our wait staff. Be assured that we are addressing the service issues raised as we consider any breakdown in service as unacceptable and expect what you experienced is a temporary glitch that will be rapidly resolved as the service system smooths out - Cheers

Reviewed February 9, 2013

After reading previous reviews i had been looking forward to going to snapper for many months but never got round to it finally visited today sat 9th feb at lunchtime 1st impressions was good laid back feel and easy listening background music menu was good a bit on the pricy side though in saying that i would have been more than happy paying there charges if i was to have enjoyed my food we ordered calamari in chilly a whole fish and a pan fried sole i believe it was fat chips and mushy peas firstly the whole battered nz fish we ordered was well overdone with many bones not english style costing 580 baht around 13 pounds really did not enjoy it the pan fried fish was ok albeit on the small side at a cost of 380 baht a little over 8 pounds both orders come without chips we ordered the fat chips hoping they would be home made chips but instead found them to be oven chips and where overcooked very dry as was the mushy peas side orders where 250 baht around 5 pounds plus with 2 soft drinks the bill come to a few baht under 2000 baht which is pricy but would have been ok if the food was enjoyable i am hoping it was a off day in snappers as i see other reviews and lots enjoyed i will give snappers the benefit of the doubt on this occasion and try again but next time i will not be trying the fish which is kind of wrong as the experience of snappers is a fish restaurant i will try there meat dishes and let you go know on my next visit us english like our fish and chips on this occasion i was very let down by the whole meal unfortunately lets hope my next visit will be 100% better it will need to be if i am to go there a 3rd time .

Dear chillys, we were sad to hear that your dining experience was not up to your expectations. We have a four fish dishes which use fish which contain bones - whole NZ Snapper (which I believe that you ordered which come either pan or deep fried), whole pan fried Flounder, Salmon and Groper fish steaks and most customers expect bones in these products. All our other fish products are deboned fillets – and there is generally plenty of fish types to choose from including Snapper fillets – I’m sorry if there was any confusion in your order as it sounds like you were expecting a battered Snapper fillets but ordered the whole fish instead? I will look into the chips being overcooked, normally we have good feedback for the thick cut fries. I hope your future dining experiences with us meet your expectations and that your experience with us was an unfortunate glitch - Cheers

Reviewed February 7, 2013

Usually go to Tapas on Soi 11 but took the plunge at what we thought would be a chippy, how wrong we were.
The menu is excellent promoting NZ products we chose three different types of fish, Sole, Cod & A NZ fish I had never heard of and cant remember now. All were cooked to perfection
Chowder was excellent as a start.
My colleagues thought the mushy peas weren't as good as back home but I thought they were superb
Wines were good and reasonable for Bangkok pricing
Will definitely be back

SnapperNZ, Kitchen at Snapper New Zealand, responded to this reviewResponded February 8, 2013

Dear PDD - we're glad you took the plunge and tried us out and for the positive feedback - we'll expect to see you agin then ...? ;-) Cheers