“Without doubt, the best Sunday brunch around”
Review of VIU

VIU
Ranked #436 of 11,958 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Located on the 12th floor next to the Sky Lobby, VIU embraces captivating views of the Royal Bangkok Sports Club, and beyond. By day, the inviting restaurant offers a bright, sunny environment that recalls the grace and character of a stately home. Our lunch features an interactive dining concept with eight live stations. Start with a healthy salad, cold cuts and freshly baked breads before indulging in a main course from our daily selection of Western and Thai specials, accompanied by a fresh selection of pasta, and finally end the meal with our mouthwatering desserts. For dinner, VIU offers signature starters such as the Akami Saku Tuna Tartar where the wasabi is created as a crisp wafers rather than paste, and for our rendition of the Caesar Salad - Grilled Romaine, Crisp Parma Ham, the lettuce is grilled with Parma ham. For the main courses, Chef Richard recommends The St. Regis Maine Lobster Thermidor and the Blackmore 500 Day Wagyu Grain Fed Skirt.
Reviewed March 11, 2012

I cannot begin to say how impresed I was! Brunch on Sunday started at midday and ended at four. We arrived at 11.59 and left at 16.01. Absolutely superb! Upon arrival we were greeted with an enormous display of king prawns, oysters, lobster and calamari! Can it get any better? Yes (in a kind of Obama-ish fashion), it can! And (unlike America) it did! We were presented with aisle upon aisle of food, including a grill station that cooked lobster to order! Have I died and gone to hell! (Everyone knows that lobster is too delicious for heaven!) Back to heaven, as they offer a full range of sashimi and sushi! (Can't wait for purgatory!) Oh god! Then there is a menu to order one's main course! French turbot, French monk fish, rib eye (thank God it is from Australia, otherwise I might develop an accent!), pheasant and guinea fowl (who cares where it is from!).

And did I mention the free flow of martinis - and by martinis, I mean anything made from a vodka base! Please excuse any typos cause it is a case of one martini, 2 martini, 3 martini, 4 flirtini, 5 ... please remove this old queen from the establishment! Oh, hang on! I am still here.. So let's continue eating....

On to the cheese room... yes, I said room! Pluck me a pheasant, they have a room for cheese! I may rent it out when my mother visits! She wouldn't notice the smell of strong cheese! Why would she! She's old! The cheeses were varied and smelly (that means good in cheeese lingo).

Cannot cannot cannot rave in higher terms. The food was sensational, the service matched the level of the food, and the manager was a delight!

Looking forward to next Sunday!

1  Thank BMF60

Reviewed January 28, 2012

We went there both sunday brunch and evening a la carte.
For sunday brunch, we can say that it's best in town right now. In my opinion, better than four seasons which was too crowded. The line menu of Viu was not too much but enough. The highlight is a la carte meny which you can order like buffet and cooked immediately. Also something which is not memu and if you want you just tell staff and they can provide for you. One of the highlight is martini which has various kind. Staffs were very helpful and great.
For evening a la carte, menu selection was not so many. But have all region food and also fusion. From indian to western. Quite a little bit expensive but taste worth.

Reviewed January 9, 2012

We visited Viu when the St Regis Bangkok first opened back in April, 2011. Was excited to try one of their restaurants and Viu was the only one opened at the moment. The hotel itself was astounding but we couldn't say the same for their food at Viu. Choices were very limited especially with their set menu. It offered only 2 choices - quail breast with chili and tiger prawns with red curry. Both were super hot but fortunately for us, we liked spicy food. Portions were also considered quite small (in Bangkok standard) so we had to scramble for instant noodles moments after lunch.

For similar prices, we would definitely recommend Tables at Grant Hyatt or Momo Bar at Courtyard Marriot which are just around the corner.

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Finally, after having been away for 5 months, I come back to Bangkok and where do I start from? Just from the restaurant I had discovered by chance last time and I had not had time to visit before my departure (please see my previous review on Viu atmosphere).

The restaurant is very nice indeed with this marvelous open kitchen on one side that boosts a beautiful masterpiece of Italian manufacturing industry: a huge and old cooking stove standing and operating just in the middle of the kitchen with the sitting room generating from there towards the floor to ceiling windows that overlook the Royal Bangkok Sports club.
As per our request, we were kindly seated close to the window in what seemed to me to be like a separated area with few tables only. The hostess was very nice and the service staff has been very helpful all the way down our wonderful meal. I really enjoyed also to be able to observe the chefs while cooking our meals on this stunning stove.
Despite these premises when we sat down, we realized that at night time, the Rajadamri BTS station stands a bit too much from the Bangkok landscape and we would have preferred a kind of skirting on the lower part of the windows to cover this gray and sad construction.
Anyway, the time to order our food came soon and soon enough also came our food preceded by a warm and fragrant bread basket with some dippings that kept us busy for a while.
I had order an asparagus soup and a baked snow fish in Mediterranean flavor, Thai basil, potatoes, lemon grass and cherry tomatoes.
My husband had ordered an Atlantic scallop, cantaloupe melon, Hawaiian red sea salt, lime juice and extra virgin olive oil ice cream as starter and an Australian stockyard Wagyu prime rib marble 4 to go with my fish.
All our choices were 100% perfectly executed with the chef delivering to our tables all the ingredients as promised in the menu and with an outstanding cooking technique.
My soup was creamy enough but still the Asparagus was the main flavor, my fish was heavenly cooked, so soft, tender and happily accompanied by this fusion of Mediterranean/ Thai flavors that made me pick up with my spoon even the last drop of sauce left after all the rest had gone. I asked the chef how the sauce was done and he explained to me that this only comes when you make slow cook the fish with the vegetables and the herbs without do any violence to the ingredients so that every ingredient will release its juice retaining the right consistency.
My husband's Atlantic scallop was another masterpiece! I have just tasted a bite though because my husband has eaten it in a flash.
Now it comes the Wagyu. What to say? If you like this kind of meat, you should be prepared to appreciate the quantity of fat ("marble" comes from the thin layers of fat spread within the meat fibers that makes it look like a piece of Marble).
Both I and my husband thought it was tender and tasty with these fatty lines transforming it into a very gourmand dish.
Believe me, you rarely eat this kind of balanced and refined food in restaurants that are not Michelin starred!
We could not go any further and we had to skip the dessert as after an important Christmas lunch your stomach is not really prepared for another food marathon.
We were offered a peppermint tea which we sip with great pleasure and we left the restaurant landing to our taxi after a nice little walk through the magnificent premises of St Regis hotel.
If I can have my say, I would have preferred a classic table set up with white table cloths instead of table mats on naked wood that reduces the elegance and intimacy of the all place but even though you still collect a truly authentic sense of the fine art of receiving guests.

Reviewed December 15, 2011

When I booked the table , staff offered complimentary cerebration cake and I agreed for that , when eating and paid the bill , OMG they forgot my cake ! I also didn't ask about that just keep it in my mind

Foods weren't good enough , Cesar salad was bad ! , they skip to charged us for salad , I also didn't like wagyu beef it' was fatty 50% real beef only 50% , I left behind it on the plate

Only Seafood platter was good that worth to paid 2,800 BT