Me and my friends stayed at Grand Alpine for 4D3N. We got this deal through groupon and of course coming from groupon, we didn't expect much for accomodation. We had low expectations but least did we expect to be slapped in the face with such bad customer service and poor accommodation.
Let's start on the first day. When we reached the room on level 5, we already noticed leaking coming from the side of the air-con. So before we go out to explore the night market, we informed the receptionist on duty about it; allowing them to access our room to fix the air-con while we are out. We ASSUME they will fix it...
When we came back, guess what we saw? A towel placed right below the air-con to soak up the leaking. W-O-W... How come we didn't think of that? GENIUS! Alright... we couldn't be bothered to kick up a fuss about it so we just let the towel sit there to do it's job. Next morning, my friend's make-up was wet because the towel was soaked through.
On the 2nd day, we were out all day from the half-day tour/Chatuchak. All we wanted to do right after is just unpack whatever shopping we did and rest. But behold, at around 12.20ish am again we noticed leaking but this time, it's coming from both ends of the air-con. Which is way worst because it is dripping directly on the flat-screen tv! (see attached photo to get what I mean)
I called the reception who came immediately (a thai staff. I assume he's new because he was very flustered and seem not to know what to do) and not surprisingly, he suggested the towel-solution (is that how they solve everything in the hotel? With towels?!) in which I said "pls don't be ridiculous, you expect to cover the whole tv set with towel now?"
Requested for a new room, but the dude said he will bring an engineer to fix the air-con for us right there and then, assuring us it will be quick. We still feel it is unsafe to stay in a room with exposed electricity and water. What if there's a short circuit or power failure? We didn't know how much water has seeped through the tv and we didn't want to risk knowing. So I went down to ask for the manager, who wasn't around. In the end I spoke to same thai staff and again he denied my request for a room change. In which I asked him, would he stay in the same room knowing there has been an exposed water and electricity issues? He said yes.
Are you f kidding me?
There's another indian night staff and I spoke to him as well, but he's not helping either. Saying that room transfers are impossible as it was fully occupied. Yeah ok. Standard answer for: Sorry but we are just lazy and it saves us the hassle to prepare a new room for you.
After telling me that he will ask the engineer to change the tv set as well, I dropped the matter. So we had to wait and sit outside for approximately half an hour. The thai staff reassured us that leaking will not happen again. We were so angered by the inconvenience. They should have just fixed it the first time we informed them about the leaking.
Next morning on the third day at 6 am, my friend woke up to an amazing indoor pool in our room. Read that sentence again with a note of sarcasm. The whole table and floor was wet! Our belongings are soaked overnight. I had enough, went down, requested for a new room and finally they gave in. After countless times our belongings got soaked, double that with such inconvenience we had to put up with.
After breakfast, we finally got a chance to speak with the manager who offered to upgrade the room for us in "compensation".
Overall, we were happy with the bigger room upgrade but again, we realized a foul sewage stench coming from the toilet pipes. It was so bad that I had to spray something to mask the smell. We just lived with it, since it was our last night there and we had to fly off the next day.
I think this is my first time going for a holiday where we had three different room transfers.
Seriously, reading the other reviews, I think the only good thing about this hotel is it's location.
Management, please re-train your staff and do something about the foul stench in toilet room 512. And yes, even after multiple requests for the iron and ironing board on the first day, it NEVER came.
Just like our future return to this hotel.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Ctrip TA, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Asiatravel.com Holdings, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, HotelQuickly and getaroom.com so you can book your Grand Alpine reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.