“Please bear with me on the long bad review, it's worth the read trust me”
Review of Grand Alpine

Grand Alpine
Ranked #690 of 863 Hotels in Bangkok
Singapore, Singapore
“Please bear with me on the long bad review, it's worth the read trust me”
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Me and my friends stayed at Grand Alpine for 4D3N. We got this deal through groupon and of course coming from groupon, we didn't expect much for accomodation. We had low expectations but least did we expect to be slapped in the face with such bad customer service and poor accommodation.

Let's start on the first day. When we reached the room on level 5, we already noticed leaking coming from the side of the air-con. So before we go out to explore the night market, we informed the receptionist on duty about it; allowing them to access our room to fix the air-con while we are out. We ASSUME they will fix it...

When we came back, guess what we saw? A towel placed right below the air-con to soak up the leaking. W-O-W... How come we didn't think of that? GENIUS! Alright... we couldn't be bothered to kick up a fuss about it so we just let the towel sit there to do it's job. Next morning, my friend's make-up was wet because the towel was soaked through.

On the 2nd day, we were out all day from the half-day tour/Chatuchak. All we wanted to do right after is just unpack whatever shopping we did and rest. But behold, at around 12.20ish am again we noticed leaking but this time, it's coming from both ends of the air-con. Which is way worst because it is dripping directly on the flat-screen tv! (see attached photo to get what I mean)

I called the reception who came immediately (a thai staff. I assume he's new because he was very flustered and seem not to know what to do) and not surprisingly, he suggested the towel-solution (is that how they solve everything in the hotel? With towels?!) in which I said "pls don't be ridiculous, you expect to cover the whole tv set with towel now?"

Requested for a new room, but the dude said he will bring an engineer to fix the air-con for us right there and then, assuring us it will be quick. We still feel it is unsafe to stay in a room with exposed electricity and water. What if there's a short circuit or power failure? We didn't know how much water has seeped through the tv and we didn't want to risk knowing. So I went down to ask for the manager, who wasn't around. In the end I spoke to same thai staff and again he denied my request for a room change. In which I asked him, would he stay in the same room knowing there has been an exposed water and electricity issues? He said yes.
Are you f kidding me?

There's another indian night staff and I spoke to him as well, but he's not helping either. Saying that room transfers are impossible as it was fully occupied. Yeah ok. Standard answer for: Sorry but we are just lazy and it saves us the hassle to prepare a new room for you.

After telling me that he will ask the engineer to change the tv set as well, I dropped the matter. So we had to wait and sit outside for approximately half an hour. The thai staff reassured us that leaking will not happen again. We were so angered by the inconvenience. They should have just fixed it the first time we informed them about the leaking.

Next morning on the third day at 6 am, my friend woke up to an amazing indoor pool in our room. Read that sentence again with a note of sarcasm. The whole table and floor was wet! Our belongings are soaked overnight. I had enough, went down, requested for a new room and finally they gave in. After countless times our belongings got soaked, double that with such inconvenience we had to put up with.

After breakfast, we finally got a chance to speak with the manager who offered to upgrade the room for us in "compensation".

Overall, we were happy with the bigger room upgrade but again, we realized a foul sewage stench coming from the toilet pipes. It was so bad that I had to spray something to mask the smell. We just lived with it, since it was our last night there and we had to fly off the next day.

I think this is my first time going for a holiday where we had three different room transfers.
Seriously, reading the other reviews, I think the only good thing about this hotel is it's location.

Management, please re-train your staff and do something about the foul stench in toilet room 512. And yes, even after multiple requests for the iron and ironing board on the first day, it NEVER came.

Just like our future return to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Shikinrhmn,

Greetings from Grand Alpine Hotel!

First of all, let me thank you for making us part of your travel to Bangkok. Your feedback were truly appreciated as it will help us define our deficiencies. Secondly, it is evident that we were not able to have given you the service you expected to have, and with it, please accept my sincerest apology.

Though considered a budget hotel, we always see to it that we abide on the standards of this industry. We are also adamant on our desire to give our guests utmost comfort and services. I understand these would not compensate the inconveniences you have experienced but rest assured that we will try our best to avoid such occurrences in the future.

Thank you once again and I hope we could be of service to you next time.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (61)
  • Indonesian first
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

I was there at Grand Alpine from 20 -23rd Feb 2014. Not too bad a location, just 8 mins walk to Platinum Fashion Mall and from there quite easy to walk to other nearby bigger malls.

I only felt that the minus point was the poor ventilation in the toilets. Perhaps the hotel can do something abt this. Friendly staff and the breakfast was alright.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Thana N
Dear Thana N,

I want to thank you for choosing to stay with us during your recent trip to Bangkok. I am delighted that you have found our location convenient with regards to your shopping needs as well as your commendation on our staff and services.

Moreover, your feedback were properly noted and rest assured that we will do our best to make the necessary improvements.

My appreciation once again and hoping to see you again next time.

Yours truly,

New Delhi, India
Reviewed February 13, 2014

Very Basic. It is more of like mediocre Guest House. Rooms are stinking, no ventilation in toilets. They provide only one complementary tea & dairy pouch per day in the room. No coffee. Our rooms did not had windows it was worst. Only plus point is the location with many indian restaurant nearby & street food, street market, fashion house within walking distance. Food very basic. Airport link station in walking distance. Hotel is safe, and have hindi/english speaking staff otherwise language is a big problem in thailand. They do not have separate cloak room but the luggeges are well looked after even in open area and are safe. If u r looking for low cost/budget hotel with only sleep purpose ask for rooms with windows otherwise look for other option in the same location.

If book tickets of any destination from hotel travel section, they provide transfers which is included in the ticket cost which we came to know later. I was charged extra 100 bhatt for transfer (one way) to madam tussauds, saying vehicle shall be arranged from market which was not true. I cud not charge him because he was not on duty till we left the hotel, So ensure everything beforehand.

Room Tip: Rooms with windows. Confirm before booking.They have rooms without windows which are awefull.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank reena56
Dear Reena56,

Greetings from Grand Alpine Hotel!

I truly appreciated your effort on sharing your experience with us. I understand we have not met your expectations and with it please accept my apologies. Our hotel provides complimentary bottled water, coffee, sugar and creamer for every room each day. You can also request upon check-in should you prefer room with window or not.
Our Front Desk Staff would have gladly on assistance should we have been informed of these matters. Through the inconveniences you have encountered, rest assured that we are sternly doing our best to make improvements in our system and facilities to be able to serve you better.

Thank you very much for staying with us and I look forward on having you again next time.

Respectfully yours,

Reviewed February 7, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 4 nights (31st jan - 4th feb)
I used GPS so i can easily find the location, just 5 minutes walk from nearest airportlink station. The location is very good, many food stalls are there and if you want to do some shopping, i recommend you to stay at this hotel.
The staffs are very nice and helpful.
I'm quite impressed by the size of the room (i stayed at room 406), it's much bigger than i thought before and very clean. They provide free wifi and the internet was so fast. The room also has cable tv, shower with hot water, and refrigerator.
I will comeback to stay at this hotel

• Stayed January 2014
Dear Lukasadit,

Greetings from Grand Alpine Hotel!

I am so thankful for the wonderful review you had on us. It is overwhelming to know that our hotel was able to provide the services and facilities you require on your travel. As always, we strive hard to cater the best for our guests because your satisfaction is our topmost priority. I am also glad that you found our location convenient and suitable to your itineraries. With it, I assure you that we shall continuously give the quality service you deserve.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any hotel assistance. We earnestly look forward on your next visit with us. Thank you once again.

Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed January 24, 2014

Fuss free place that’s worth the price you pay. Rooms were spacious and cosy enough. The best thing about this hotel is the endless makeshift street food stalls there are in the vicinity. Every day at any given time, there’s a wide range of food easily available (cheap and good). Perfect if you’re craving for something in the middle of the night.

There are only 2 downsides which I can think of – 1) it’s located in a very obscure tiny alleyway, blink and you’ll miss it. There were several instances where our cab driver couldn’t locate the hotel. 2) There are no BTR stations nearby, otherwise we would have been able to make use of the trains more.

Hotel front desk staff were friendly and made our stay very enjoyable. So overall, yes, a thumbs up to this place. I just wish there was a BTR station nearby.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Catherine W
Dear Khun Catherine W,

Thank you for staying with us during your recent trip to Bangkok and for sharing your experience through Tripadvisor.com. I am glad to know that you found our vicinity enjoyable and please know your commendation of our staff is inspiring.

As you have known, our hotel is located in the bustling area of Pratunam, though crowded but is surrounded with shops and stalls that offers very low prices. We also have the free tuk-tuk service which would take you to the nearest drop-off to the BTS station. Through those difficulties, I am joyed that you liked the entirety of your stay.

Should you have further plans to visit Bangkok again, please do not hesitate to contact me and I will be very glad to assist you to make your trip more convenient and worthwhile.

Thank you once again and we look forward to see you again in the future.

Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed January 17, 2014

january 2014, we stay there for 2 nights before heading to pattaya.
it close to shopping center where my wife likes to see, but kiddos not enjoyed the shopping time.
we leave the group of girls to shop by tuk2 and heading back to hotel at the second day.noon.
kids really enjoyed riding with tuk-tuk, and ask for more. i found out there's nothing to explore at the hotel besides our room and tv. so the kids only watch tv and finally asleep, while wait for moms back from their shopping time.
well, sleep is alright, it's quite and comfort. breakfast is 1 point below average. BUT, staffs are quite nice. they're all really helpful and have good manners.
restaurants are easy to find in this alleys area. but it's not far from main street.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
Dear Matt_iskandar,

Greetings from Grand Alpine Hotel!

Thank you for taking time to share your review of us. It is our pleasure to provide you quality service and I am glad to know that you appreciated it. I am also joyed to know that you found our hotel convenient for your travel needs. Rest assured that we strive to always give the best service to make your experience with us a memorable one.

My appreciation once again and I look forward on your next visit with us.

Respectfully yours,

Batu Pahat, Malaysia
Reviewed January 16, 2014

the hotel is inside the small lane ,but is a busy lane from morning to night ,don worry that is that too far find something to eat ,many small stall is selling the food ,for the traveler is focus at shopping,just wanna have a place to sleep,i think this is your choice~bathroom is small and clean ;the shower area is with plastic partition.

7 -11 just few step from the lobby of hotel, is very convenient,

got 1 thing happen when i check out,because my flight is 7.00am,so i need wake up at 4.00am,
when i wake up by the clock,suddenly my room is black out!not light,no electric,no warm water ,also cant call the room service!

i only can use my handphone torch light to pack my luggage ,even the water supply is very weak!so i just brush my face and wash a face then drag my heavy luggage from 6 floor walk the emergency stair to 1 floor lobby!the emergency exit also very dark,don't have any light .

when finally go to 1 floor ,the other traveler is start argue with the man (i don know who is that guy,is security guard?customer service or what)

Fortunately,i pass the room key to that guy and leave there~thx god~
stay at 13 dec 2013 -15 dec 2013

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Belltingting,

Greetings from Grand Alpine Hotel!

Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us. We are honored having you as our guest and for making us part of your visit to Bangkok.

I am very sorry for the inconvenience you had experienced during your stay. There was a power failure throughout Pratunam area that time which rarely happens and there were no advisories of such. Our staff had taken their best to cater all the guests' requests but apologetically was insufficient due to the number of the guests in-house. I am thankful for your rationality on the situation and please do accept my apologies once again.

Further, I want to assure you that we are on the process of extensively improving our facilities so we could provide more quality service to all our guests.

Please do not hesitate to contact me should you need any hotel assistance. We look forward on your next visit with us.