“Depends what you are looking for”

Novotel Bangkok Platinum Pratunam
Ranked #81 of 862 Hotels in Bangkok
Vancouver (Canada)
“Depends what you are looking for”
Reviewed April 21, 2013

If the purpose of my trip is to do clothes/shoe shopping, I may bump the rating up a star because it's attached to the mega fashion mall. My sisters spent hours there.

However, for me, who mainly wanted to relax and eat and get pampered, this place fell short of expectation.

This hotel is relatively new, I believe it's less than 2-year old. So that's a plus as everything looks new. However, I was not wowed by anything. Check-in process was a bit frustrating. They were having difficulty locating our reservation (a first for me since using Cathay Pacific Holidays many times in different hotels). Also, not a lot of sitting areas in the lobby, so guests waiting to check in may have to stand around and wait. we arrived around noon and our rooms were not ready so we had to come back later. But when we came back in the evening, as we were handed the room keys, they told us our luggages will be brought up shortly. After waiting for 15 mins, we made a call and they told us they couldn't find our bags??? So we had to go down to lobby again to sort this out. It took them another 15 mins to get our luggages to us. Not impressed.

The room is nice and big. The twin beds are quite small, but the bedding is amazing. Really comfortable. With view facing the Central World. However, there are two things that kind of bothered me. First the electronic "blind" that is supposed to give privacy to the person using the bathroom is way too thin and transparent. Whoever selected the material needed to be fired. So if you are on a business trip and have to share the room with a co-worker. Well, good luck ;) Second thing, I was having trouble using the US plug in charger for my iPhone and iPad. It simply did not go in. I finally managed to push through in one of about seven outlets. This is also a first to me.

The buffet breakfast was the standard fares. Basically it fills up your stomach. They lack the variety that other 4-star hotels offer. For example, they don't have a cooked to order soup noodle station. The wait staff is also hit and miss. We usually ordered green tea in the morning. The first morning we were given the tea right the way. The next morning another waiter said they don't have any. Also, the cook at the omelette station did not understand English that well.

For a hotel this standard, I have to say they have a nice gym. So a big plus for a gym-goer like me. But the pool is relatively small comparing to the gym. But it's comparable to other similar class hotels. They also have very nice locker room with shower and steam room facilities. Just a reminder the pool is located on the south side, so there is no sun getting through until maybe 11:00 in the morning for those who want to suntan.

The location of the hotel is quite far from the BTS station. It would take a good 20 min walk. However, it's only a block away from Central World and the famous pink-lady Chicken rice place, as well as another block from the Big C supermarket. So I'd say take advantage of that while staying at this mid-range hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Sascha K, Manager at Novotel Bangkok Platinum Pratunam, responded to this review, April 22, 2013
Dear Valued Guest,

Greetings from Novotel Bangkok Platinum and thank you for your stay with us.

Thank you very much for your compliments on the rooms, the bedding and the gym.

But of course we are disappointed to hear about your experience with the check in, the blinds in the bathroom and the breakfast. We deeply apologies for this. I will together with all of our head departments arrange a separate meeting to discuss further steps. Thank you for bringing this all to our attention, as this allow us to rectify those issues and to ensure we improve ourselves.

We still hope you will visit again in the very near future.

It was a pleasure to have you as our guest here.

Warmest regards,

Novotel Bangkok Platinum

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (479)
  • Arabic first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Medan
Reviewed April 21, 2013

I stayed at Novotel Bangkok Platinum on 17 April 2013 - 18 April 2013. Room 1702.
This is my comment :
- Hotel staffs especially the Receptionist staffs name Mr. SEK and Miss PUMP is super nice, warm, and friendly (Ten thumbs up for Mr.SEK and Miss PUMP)
- Welcome drink is very delicious
- Hotel Lobby interior is modern and pretty
- Hotel facility such as gym, swimming pool, meeting room, bar, restaurant is Excellent
- Hotel room is super nice, very clean and smell good
- Bed is very good
- Bathroom is very clean and neat
- Iron and iron bar is provided also inside the bedroom
- Mini bar is good
- Free WIFI, LED TV
- Excellent View from bedroom
- Easy to look for public transport such as Taxi, Tuk Tuk, Motorbike taxi
- Easy to look for food outside hotel such as McDonald, KFC, Dunkin Donut, local thai street food, etc
- A few steps to 7/11 convenience store and a lot of money changer
- Location is Excellent. Hotel just beside Platinum Fashion Mal, Palladium Fashion Mal, IT Mal, Wholesale fashion market, etc
- 10 Minutes walk to big shopping mal such as Central World, Siam Paragon, MBK, Siam Center, Siam Discovery
- 10 Minutes walk to nearest BTS station (BTS Chit Lom)

Kob Khun Khrub Novotel Bangkok Platinum

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Irwanwijaya
Dear valued guest,

Greetings from Novotel Bangkok Platinum.

It is great to see that you more than enjoyed your time with us.

Also thank you so much for your feedback and suggestions on several points in the hotel, I will definitely share with the team, especially Khun Sek and Khun Pump, and ensure that our hotel provides quality products and services.

Thank you again for leaving such a detailed review for us and other guests. We all hope to have the chance to welcome you back in the very near future.

Best Regards

Reviewed April 20, 2013

room was generally comfortable and clean. location is near all the shopping malls. was here for a business trip. the management mixed up our rooms and charged us for printing in their business room which we did not use. the room was great but their management skill wasn't up to standard probably because they were still quite new. The blinds to our bathroom dropped down in the middle of the night and they managed to fix it the next day. Breakfast was good with a wide selection of intercontinental buffet.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Dear valued guest,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at the Novotel Bangkok Platinum through the TripAdvisor and thank you for pointing out the comfortable/ clean rooms and the breakfast.

I am sorry for your experience with the mixed up rooms, the charge for the business room use and the blinds in the bathroom.

Bandung
Reviewed April 20, 2013

i enjoy stay at novotel, near for shopping, so many place to go eat, the leep quality is the best, i like the welcome drink, i like the room very comfortable and i can sleep very well but they dont have a pretty nice looking for the entrance at the first floor

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your feedback on tripadvisor and to rate us with 5 points. The whole team of Novotel Bangkok Platinum more than happy to see this.

We very much appreciate your comments on our welcome drink, the location and the room. Thank you for this.
We have also taken note regarding to your added feedback related to the entrance at the first floor.

Thank you for taking the time to help to improve us and we do hope to welcome you back in the very near future.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

The chk in/out reception need to be staffed adequately. It takes way too long for such simple process to complete. Really need to be enhanced.
The worst is the concierge service at ground level, they don even bother to help u get a cab when u need to ge to the airport. They look stress and overwhelm as there are way too many guests with the same request, in the end h
They jus tell u it's faster to walk out in th hit sun with yr luggage and flag a cab herself on the main road.

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear valued guest,

I certainly appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. It is our goal to consistently ensure our facilities and services are efficient and on-brand.

I apologize for the inconvenience with the check in/ out procedure, which I have discussed already with my front office manager who will ensure to speed up the check in/ out procedure.

In regards to the concierge who tried to catch a taxi for you, could you kindly email (h7272-gm2@accor.com) me some more details as I would like to investigate personally with our concierge team.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention as this allows us to improve ourselves. We do hope to have the pleasure in welcoming you back to Novotel Bangkok Platinum.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

I recently checked into Novotel Bangkok Platinum during the Songkran weekend with a bunch of friends. (Btw, bad timing to be in Bangkok if you are there for shopping trip. Great if you are there for the water/mud fun).

Service at arrival was really great, fuss free and quick. Check-in was also handled very smoothly considering we are a big group of 20. Unfortunately, all our key cards did not work and we had to go all the way down to the lobby to get our cards checked and re-programmed. When we reach our room floor, to our frustration the key cards were not working still, and we are all stuck outside our room. There is no lobby phone, thank God for the Housekeeping maid who was cleaning a room nearby, with our sign language we managed to seek assistance in getting a FO staff up to our floors (we were staying on different floors) to check. After more waiting, we were glad that the key cards finally worked and we could enter our room.

Room is fairly large, clean and I was surprized to find iron/iron-board in my cupboard. Most of the regular amenities are in place.

Bathroom: There is no bathtub, but the the standing bath is great once you get the hang of how to adjust the water temperature.

Welcome/turndown: There is no welcome amenities/fruits and no turndown service.

Pool/gym: There is a good size gym with a good variety of equipments, so be sure to bring along exercise gears. The pool is a small which makes it disappointing, however, the decor makes up to it.

Breakfast: Our package is inclusive of buffet breakfast. There is a good selection and overall yummy.... A good meal to start the day. Hmmmm.... makes me a happy person.... Coffee is lousy, so stick to tea.

Location: hotel location is great, there's foodcourts and restaurants readily available in nearby shopping centres and also local roadside stalls. Lots of great shopping within walking distance (do remember to bargain) and a metro station just about 10mins walk away from the hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Sascha K, Manager at Novotel Bangkok Platinum Pratunam, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear valued guest,

Many thanks for your kind review, which is indeed very detailed and gives other guests a better picture about our hotel! It is great to see that you decided to stay with us during the Songkran Thai festival.

I am glad to know that you had such an amazing time and have thoroughly enjoyed the hotel and services.

I have noted your kind comments on the rooms, bathroom, pool/ gym, breakfast and indeed our great location.

Please accept my apologies regarding the key, but I am happy to see that our housekeeping maid could assist you in this case.

I will pass on your much appreciated comments onto our team who will be more than happy to see that their work is being appreciated.

I do hope you will have another opportunity to stay with us. Please keep in touch and let us know if there is ever anything we can do to be of assistance.

Kolkata
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Good experience overall. Although room service deteriorated after the first day. Overall a very good property and good value for money. the attached mall is nice owing to good shoes & bags being available there!
The view from the higher floor was also quite nice, so ask for one the next time you stay there!

Room Tip: ASk for a higher floor. View is nice.