“Junior Suite”

Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
Ranked #8 of 889 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed August 12, 2013

I stayed for 3 nights this weekend and thought the hotel was virtually perfect. The suite was superb and very spacious. The bed was very comfortable. Everyday the room is cleaned to a very high standard and the views from every room of the suite are stunning. Very enjoyable when you can look over the whole of Bangkok whilst sitting on the toilet haha!

I have only 2 criticisms and they are both very small....

1) I felt the executive lounge should of had a bit of a dress code, having a few drinks and some food before hitting the town with people still in swimwear from the pool and kids running round ruined it slightly. I have stayed at 3 star hotels which have dress codes to their buffet restaurants.

2) The lifts! The way the hotel is set you can access the floors via lift. Not normally a problem but when you're on the 32nd floor and all you want to do is go to 31st floor it can take a while. I waited nearly 10 minutes. I think as I called the lift someone on a lower floor would call it, the lift would obviously call at their floor first and then they would take the lift down. This would happen a lot meaning the hotel had the run of the elevators but the top floors. Very frustrating!

Apart from this the hotel is perfect. It right next to the sky train so you are never very far from town. In addition I always managed to get a taxi to the hotel late at night for around 200 Baht. If you can afford a room on the hotel but you can't afford that then you don't belong in the hotel.

I guarantee if you stay here you will love it, I certainly did. Will be staying again in the future!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Tom G

Reviewed August 11, 2013

The Eastin Grand Hotel Sathom is located on the Sky Train (BTS) just one stop from the river which makes it very easy to get to many tourist attractions quickly. Our room on the 30th floor had an excellent view and the view from the pool on the 14th floor was also great. As all guest rooms are on the 15th floor or higher I would expect most rooms to have a nice view of the city. Service was very good from the moment we arrived until we checked out five days later. Breakfast was included and was very good with a large selection of Asian and western foods and even when it was busy the staff refilled drinks and cleared plates quickly. The pool area is really attractive although it could get crowded at times and the water was a bit chilly for me. The elevators were sometimes crowded but we never waited more than a few minutes. The WiFi connection was strong and reliable. I felt this hotel was an excellent value and would recommend it to anyone wanting a great location for sightseeing in Bangkok.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Madeline E
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We booked this five star hotel to end our three weeks of summer vacation. Three nights were our booking. The room was clean and spacious. We stayed at 22nd floor with view east side of the hotel.

The house keeping was not that satisfactory. The change the sheets and clean the bath room and put clean towels on. But non of the tables has been clean and some of the wall paper are starting to "lift up".

Breakfast was fine with both western and asian style food. But the chinese part of it was limited to a few options, they got japanese sushi though. Mayby it was deliberate cause the hotel got af chinese restaurant on 3rd floor.

We made our booking on booking.com and found out that we could have had a better deal if we made the booking directly on the hotels webside. The hotel's webside got som pretty good combo deals with free day-pass for the sky train if you book several nights. Neither on booking.com nor agoda.com had this kind of extra gifts even if number of nights were the same.

The hotel is on the wrong side of the Sathon Rd. meaning that if you are coming from Suvarnabhumi Airport, Khao San rd or any part of the more interesting part of Bangkok your taxi will approach Sathon Rd. from the west towards East and therefore be on the left side of the road and Easting is on the right side of the road. The difficulty is that there only few places in Sathorn Rd. were u-turn is allowed. Ontop of that Sathorn Rd. suffers from heavy traffic from 8 AM to 11 PM every day of the week (if not the must heavily traffic road in Bangkok). So be patient if you take taxi or take the sky-train.

Free wifi in the room.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank traveller_from_DNK
EGS_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear traveller_from_DNK

Greetings from Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn Bangkok.

I would like to begin by thanking you for taking the time to write about your time with us on Trip Advisor. Nowadays Trip Advisor has become an essential mouthpiece for today’s traveller and we read every review to ascertain exactly what our guests think about their stay and ways in which we can make their stay that little bit better. At Eastin Grand I can assure you that we are totally dedicated to the complete satisfaction of all our guests.

I was pleased that you enjoyed so many aspects of your stay and delighted that you managed to find a deal to suit your purposes among the many “specials” we offer if you book directly with us.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies for the aspects of your stay that did not meet your expectations.

I was concerned to learn about the cleanliness of your room and have instructed my Housekeeping Manager to investigate why yours was not prepared to our usual high standards. We also operate a constant care programme involving both our Engineering and Housekeeping departments to ensure our rooms are in “tip-top” condition therefore if you could kindly find the time to contact me via gmadmin@eastingrandsathorn.com with the details of your stay I will attend to matters immediately.

I regret that our location was an inconvenience to you as we have not received any similar comments of this nature before.

With the traffic infrastructure of Bangkok you may experience delays traveling to and from any destination within the city at certain times of day and this is not mutually exclusive to Eastin Grand Sathorn. Similarly if travelling from the major shopping and entertainment districts of Siam and Sukhumvit we are on the “right” side of the road if I may use your phrase. I must admit to being somewhat confused that you advised fellow travelers to be patient when using the sky train as we are the only hotel in Bangkok with direct access to the network and the convenience it provides is immeasurable when compared to sitting in the traffic. If I may also point out that for travelers coming from the airport the airport link elevated railway system connects to the sky train system meaning a taxi journey from Suvarnabhumi can be eliminated altogether.

If there were any other aspect of your stay that caused you to award us an “average” score I would deeply appreciate your comments at the above email to allow us to address any other issues you may have experienced.

Yours sincerely,

John Westoby

Reviewed August 6, 2013

Booked back jn April for 3 nights in August and got a really good price on the room. The hotel was so easy to get to as has a direct link to Skytrain which helps a lot when it is pouring with rain and you have lots of luggage! Rooms were fine, nothing special but clean and a nice bed. The breakfast was very good and there is lots of variety
We stayed Sat Sun and Mon night and the breakfast at the weekend was notably much more crowded. Also as others have mentioned, lift can take ages to arrive as there are only 4 lifts in be whole place. Even when you get in one you can stop many times on the way up/down.
Enjoyed the hotel as we were in Bangkok mainly to shop and it is 2 stops from Patpong night market (sala deng) and 4 stops or so from main shopping centres (Siam). Also easy to get to the biggest weekend market in the world - Chatchuk weekend market (not sure if I spelt it right!!). You can go one stop to Taksin to get to the river boats which take you down to the temples and palace and a few stops in the other direction to National Stadium where there is huge shopping centre which is like a market and all indoors and air conditioned

Loved our stay in Bangkok and didn't hang about the hotel much but it is good value and great for sightseeing

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Laura B
Reviewed August 4, 2013

This is a very good hotel. The breakfast has a good selection. The location beside the BTS station is convenient. The rooms are good and clean. Wifi is excellent. The staff is helpful and friendly.

However, there are negatives. While the pool was not crowded, it was difficult to find a recliner at any time of the day. Since the pool is shaded, the sun does not heat it, so the water remains cold. The hotel does not have spa facilities on site; they recommend a spa in a nearby hotel. The elevators can get very busy when a conference is held in the hotel.

If the negatives are not issues for you, then you likely will still enjoy this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for 4 days with my family. Check-in was smooth. Room is spacious and comfortable. I read in other reviews that it could take forever for the lift to come during breakfast hours. But it didn't happen to me during my stay at the hotel. Speaking of breakfast, the selection and choices should accommodate most people appetite. Although, it has a bridge connected to a BTS station, it is not situated at the main shopping region, so if you plan to do serious shopping, it may be a bit inconvenient carrying all your prize hopping around BTS station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank BMWFANS
Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three nights in July and we had a fantastic stay! We had booked an executive room and got a room on the 30.floor. We had a fantastic view over the city. The room was spacious, had a nice bathroom and a very comfortable bed.
The check-in went smoothly and we were offered a nice cold drink at the arrival. We arrived at around 10 o'clock in the morning after a long flight, and we were happy our room was ready.

The first day we just spent at the hotel. We enjoyed the beautiful infinity pool at the 15. floor. We had no problems getting sunbeds as some other here has said.

Since we had an executive room, we got access to the lounge at the 32.floor. They offer free cocktails and canapes from 17.30- 19.30. We thought we would pop up for a drink and a little snack, but the buffet was great!! They had soup, sushi and lots of small dishes including cakes and sweets. We sat there a couple of hours and did not need to go out for a meal after that. We just went to the pool bar to enjoy another drink and the great view.

We also enjoyed the breakfast in the lounge. It was a nice buffet and we could also order from a menu. It was very quiet there and very good service.

We also enjoyed dinner one night at The Glass House, one of the hotels restaurants. It was a seafood buffet and offered all the seafood one could dream of.

The location of the hotel is great. Just walk right from Skytrain directly into the third floor of the hotel.

We never had to wait for the lifts as other guests have mentioned.

Before we went to Bangkok, we had found some restaurants and bars we would visit, but this hotel was TOO GOOD!!! We didn't want to go out in the evenings! We went out during the days and had lunch out, but afternoons and evenings we spent at this fantastic hotel!!

We will definately be back!

Room Tip: The extra payment for executive lounge is well spent money!