“If you are a non smoker, avoid this hotel”

Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn
Ranked #7 of 893 Hotels in Bangkok
Reviewed January 7, 2013

LOCATION : this hotel is located in an area without interest, far away from main temples, markets...It is surrounded by huge avenues, not pleasant to walk on, very noisy. The only good point is that it is connected to the skytrain (Surasak station) by a footbridge and thus you can reach the airport in less than 45min.

It is an ugly building from outside.

RECEPTION : Check-in is quite fast. I had booked a non smoking room a month earlier and I precised in my booking that I was a non smoker but the receptionnist informed me on arrival that only smoking rooms were still available. If I had been informed earlier, I would have cancelled my booking. However she informed me that non smoking rooms were available in the upper category (sky room) but she did not offer to upgrade me. The price difference would have been in my charge. This is not commercially acceptable. So I was sent to the smoking floor...

ROOM : the room smells cold tobacco, the bed linen and curtains as well. My clothes that were hung in the wardrobe got this awful smell.
The room was large, well equipped with standard facilities for this hotel category. The room, like the corridor, is carpeted, which is not hygienic at all. Decoration is gloomy, brown colour everywhere. It really needs to be renewed.

BATHROOM : it is large, functional and very clean.

BREAKFAST : the breakfast room is very noisy and not pleasant. The buffet offers lots of choices but quality is only acceptable. It is not the kind of buffet that is usually offered in a 5* hotel. This breakfast corresponds to a 4* hotel. The staff are very polite and efficient, they do a great job.

SERVICES :
- swimming pool is the only asset of this hotel. It is a very long infinity pool, you can really swim. You have a view on the buildings around and you can hear traffic jam...not very relaxing.
- a few pc are available in a corner of the reception floor.

This hotel is overrated, it is not what we expect from a 5* hotel. It is not charming, very impersonnal, a kind of a factory for tourists. I do not recommend this hotel and I will never return.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank Hikingirl
EGS_General_Manager, General Manager at Eastin Grand Hotel Sathorn, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Hikingirl,

Greetings from Eastin Grand Sathorn Bangkok.

May I begin by thanking you for taking the time to post a review on Trip Advisor regarding your stay in our hotel. Your comments are invaluable in ensuring that we provide the best standards and service for our valued guests and rectify any problems that may arise.

I would like to offer my sincere apologies regarding your request for a non-smoking room not being available. We were running at full occupancy upon your arrival and a non-smoking room was initially not vacant. It was a regrettable oversight on the part of our staff that they did not relocate you to a non-smoking room as soon as one became available and I have instructed my Front Office team that in future they must be fully aware of situations such as this and move the guest at the earliest opportunity.

If I may be allowed to address your other comments.

Many guests have commented favourably on the contemporary design of the hotel and the soft tones we use in our rooms and I am sorry that they were not to your taste. You will also find that most deluxe category hotels feature carpeted rooms and corridors. Hygiene has never been a problem due to the efforts of our Housekeeping department.

We also receive good feedback both in person and on Trip Advisor about the quality of our food. I would also like to inform you that we have never promoted ourselves as a 5 star property but regard Eastin Grand as a 4 star deluxe hotel.

It is unlikely that you would find a hotel in central Bangkok that did not have some traffic noise with it being one of the largest cities in Asia and I am sorry if you were disturbed by this. Similarly if you stay in the city then unfortunately you are going to encounter noisy streets everywhere as in any large metropolis.

I was pleased to learn that you found our proximity to the BTS Sky Train system to be useful in getting to the airport. Naturally this proximity to the Sky Train also allows guests to access the river with its tourist attractions in less than 5 minutes and reach the major shopping district including Siam Paragon and Central World in less than a quarter of an hour.

I am somewhat bemused as to your comment that the hotel is “impersonal” and a “factory for tourists” as we have never received feedback such as this in any form since the hotel opened.
It is unfortunate that apparently Eastin Grand Sathorn was not what you were looking for in a deluxe hotel and I am disappointed that say you will never return.

I would like to end by saying that it was a pleasure to serve you as our valued guest and we hope that any future accommodation you choose should you return to Bangkok will be more to your personal liking and taste.

Yours sincerely,

John Westoby

Write a ReviewReviews (6,976)

Reviewed January 7, 2013

My husband and I absolutely loved this hotel. The rooms were gorgeous (the bed was huge and so comfy!), the pool area with infinity pool divine, and the breakfast buffet amazing - talk about choice +++. The location is really good, as it is right the skytrain line, which made it great to get around. If you are looking for a sanctuary to escape to after seeing the sites of Bangkok, this place is for you.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 7, 2013

Stayed for three nights. Rooms are comfortable, spacious and clean. Staff are friendly and helpful, location is boosted by direct access to sky train and being close to river, some area are a distance but as taxis are cheap this really wasn't an issue! Overall a good choice!

• Stayed: January 2013
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Nice place in the Sathorn district, a metro stop away from the river and boat terminus and roadside foot massage parlours. Lovely infinity pool with bar attached and basket lounge chairs to dip feet from! Nice restaurants and a good breakfast spread. Most convenient to have the sky train stop (Surasak) attached to the hotel, in a city with the worst traffic possibly!
A couple of metro stops on the other side is the night market.
Hotel itself was reasonably plush with good service and in a residential part of the business district. The blue elephant cooking school and restaurant is next door. A good choice in Bangkok!

Room Tip: River side views are good!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed January 6, 2013

Stayed at the eastin on a great deal in an executive room. Check in was great, room was fabulous (brand new with lots of added extras and a fabulous view of bangkok) staff were helpful and discreet.

Best touch was the free passes for the sky train which is just outside the hotel, there's a walkway from the hotel which meant you didn't get wet and you could navigate the city very well. The free passes are a Great touch from the hotel.

I've stayed in a number of hotels including the Lebua and would say the hotel was on par with this. Service was good, food was tasty and the executive lounge was great (the complementary drinks and canapés on an evening were high quality and plentiful)

Would definitely return if I am in bangkok again

Room Tip: Upgrade to an executive room the benefits offered were excellent
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank anneloo
Reviewed January 5, 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights at the end of our month long trip travelling round Thailand. Impressive lobby with grand chandeliers and friendly and proffesional staff.
Our room was immaculate with floor to ceiling windows of the city, comfy bed and all the mod cons you could ask for. Really big and powerful shower. Breakfast was to die for, such a massive selection, whatever your taste you will find something here.
The rooftop bar has fab views over the city and big comfy pods for 2 to sit in and sip cocktails (bit pricey at about £7-10 but as it was our last few nights we didnt mind and it was worth it anyway).
The location is great with easy access by bts or taxi to all the places of interest. A few stalls nearby selling tasty street food too.
This is one of the more expensive places we stayed but soooo worth it.
Totally worth 5 stars, would return in an instant and hopefully will do, but for longer than 2 nights!

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed January 4, 2013

Stayed for 5 nights. We enjoyed this well kept place. The breakfast was great and it was good to have the easy access to the skytrain. The place was quite crowded and the number of elevators proved to be insufficient at peak hours. We stayed on the 24th floor, the view was great and we especially enjoyed to watch the fireworks on new year (ranked top 10 in the world this year).
I whole heartily recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family