“Perfect Introduction to Thai Cooking!”

Sompong Thai Cooking School
Reviewed December 3, 2013

There are so many great things to say about this experience I don’t know where to start! First, Irene and Nancy are just amazing! Nancy picked us up at the BTS station with a quick car ride to the cooking school. We were very warmly welcomed with beverages and an introduction to the cooking class and then off to the market we went baskets and all. I love that at the market they were able to explain about each individual ingredient that we would be using and took the time to allow us to taste and sniff everything. A quick walk back to the school and cooking began!

We cooked four courses and each was better than the next! One of the best things about this is that you can cook your dishes to taste, whether it be more or less sweet or spicy. Irene was fantastic at explaining each step along the way. The process was very efficient and the rest of the staff cleaned and set up while we were learning and then everything was ready when it was our turn. Everyone has their very own station and does every step themselves with help, as needed. I don’t cook often and I learned so much about Thai cooking in general, it was quite fun even for non-cooking enthusiasts.

The entire day was just fantastic. Our favorite thing about the day aside from cooking and eating was the atmosphere. We had such a great group and it felt like a family sitting down to cook together. The whole day was a lot of laughs and good fun. I would greatly recommend anyone choose this awesome cooking school. Thank you Irene, Nancy, and team! We really felt like family.

All reviews
"cooking book"
in 9 reviews
"red apron"
in 8 reviews
"chong nonsi bts station"
in 8 reviews
"learn how"
in 21 reviews
"great class"
in 11 reviews
"cooking class in bangkok"
in 9 reviews
"step by step"
in 13 reviews

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I am in Bangkok alone and wanted to fill in a day so booked a class at Sompong cooking school. It was easy to get to the meeting point from the BTS firstly so that was a relief. I thoroughly enjoyed going to the markets and collecting all the fresh ingredients. Our guide was fun and informative. We only had 8 in the class which I think gave it an even warmer feel. Not only were the meals delicious and easy to prepare with staff overseeing us but we got some awesome tips for cooking in general. I highly recommend and may even go back another day myself

Reviewed November 21, 2013

A cooking course at the Sompong Thai Cooking School added another amazing dimension to my visit of Bangkok. The team was extremely well prepared and organised. After a very hearty sa wa dee khrap (hello) we were allocated our workstations and the days' proceedings were explained.

Not soon after our hearty welcome, we were all handed our own shopping baskets and fans to cool our faces. The 5 minute stroll to the wet market was extremely interesting and was key to the course. As visitor to Thailand one does not always understand what you are looking at when you explore the stalls in the markets and streets. The tour of the market added a whole new dimension to enjoying food in Thailand and helped to understand the food, street smells and the tastes. We amongst others, saw how coconut milk was made and learnt how that was different from coconut cream. A whole new world also opened when we were shown the many types of basil, eggplant, chilies, coriander etc. and what the different uses are.

The course was completely hands-on. Cooking instructions were easy to follow and no prior cooking experience is needed to make the most unbelievable dishes that one could feast on. I would recommend the course to the traveller who would like to learn more about Thai cooking. The course is however also excellent if one seeks a very nice fun-filled day which is ended off with excellent food. Excellent experience all-round.

Reviewed November 15, 2013

The cooking experience is wonderful. Teacher Irin was giving us very simple instructions and the food is really fabulous - even far better than the food we ordered from the restaurant.

We cooked 4 dishes - Masaman Curry, Tom Yum Prawn soup, Fried rice and a dessert. We had so much to eat! My 13 year old son had a great time cooking and tasting the fantastic dishes!

1000baht per pax is a steal! They will pick you up from Chong Nonsi BTS station which is a short walk to the school but they will send you via a car to the school so no worries about where is the school is at all. :)

Thank you again to Irin, Nancy and the team, for the wonderful experience! We will be back for sure when we next visit BKK.