WINNER WONDERLAND

“Lovely casual evening” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Comptoir Eiffel - CLOSED

Comptoir Eiffel
Cuisines: French, European
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Sukhumvit
Description: In May 2014 Le Petit Zinc restaurant becomes Comptoir Eiffel. This well-known restaurant appreciated par many loyal guests begins a reconversion towards more refinement and diversity while maintaining the original Parisian bistro spirit. As soon as you come through the door you can feel the warm and friendly ambience of the venue. The owner has recently taken over the three years old restaurant, and is fully dedicated to the wellness of it guests. Guests can choose among different spaces: a private room on the mezzanine, a terrace with shadow, and the main dining-room facing the bar. Wherever you seat, you can instantly feel transported to Saint Germain des Pres. Once you are comfortably settled, it's time to look at the menu. The Chef and its team honour dishes from all over France with Perigourdine salad, Half-cooked tuna and piperade, and the traditional Onion soup. And concerning fish? You will find them on skewers, in carpaccio, grilled from the oven...Meat with their tenderness will please sensitive palates, as the foie gras duo will do. In the genuine spirit of a French bistro-brasserie, duck specialties and salads are important to the menu. Cheese lovers are not forgotten thanks to a judicious selection of both French and local cheese. Finally, weekly specials from the blackboard enhance the care given to cook with fresh ingredients. Comptoir Eiffel is open every day for lunch and dinner.
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Lovely casual evening”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had a lovely casual evening with friends and I thoroughly enjoyed my meal - an excellent french onion soup and superb foie gras. My husband had scallops and was disappointed as the texture was wrong. They appeared to be the imitation scallops that restaurants sometimes use. So 10/10 from me but only 5/10 from him. Service was good and prices weren't exorbitant.

• Visited April 2013
Petit Z, Owner at Comptoir Eiffel, responded to this review, April 19, 2013
Dear Lynette,

Thank you very much for you review. I'm just really sorry that your husband didn't enjoy his dish. But just to let you know we never have and never will use "imitation scallop". We use high quality over-sized scallops from Alaska. We prepare this dish in a French style, meaning rare inside and grilled outside which explained maybe the fact that you husband didn't like the texture.

We hope to see you soon in our restaurant,
Kind regards,
Muriel Dazard

• Thai first
Sydney, Australia
“Very nice French food”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

Great little French bistro around the corner from my condo. Ate there for the first time today and will definitely be going back. Had the goats cheese salad and my friend had the duck, both meals where great. Staff don't hang on you either, nice to have that type of service. Ambience is quite nice too, they have done the fit-out well.

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank charlieboz
Bangkok, Thailand
“Disappointed”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Have heard of this restaurant through a French documentary about Bangkok, hence we decided to give it a try. The location is quite convenient. Once in, the interior ambiance is very nice but the welcoming was quite poor and unfriendly. There were 3 of us and everyone had a different feeling on the food. Don't get me wrong, the cold plate of charcuteries is excellent, the duck is average but excellent side dishes with roasted potatoes. The lamb shank on the other side was a complete disappointment, but were we feel there was a let down was the level of service. Agree with some of the other comments, there is a poor level of engagement and will to make you feel welcome and willing to come back from the manager and the team. This is somehow in contrast with the documentary where the owners gave us a better feeling to come, try and support this little restaurant. It's a pity as there such a little things to do to make this place a real gem.

Visited April 2013
Bangkok, Thailand
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Cool, casual and excellent french restaurant”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

This is one of my favorite restaurant in Bangkok.
Mood is nice and managers are always available to have fun and chat with you.
Food is excellent, very good and fresh products, nothing fancy but very authentic.
Menu is quite large and diversified.....I noticed they even have an amazing set lunch at less than 500THB for 3 courses + coffee, including one of my favourite french steak: bavette à l'échalotte!!!

Finally their wine list offers an excellent ratio price vs. quality as their pinot noir from New-Zealand (martinborough) which is sold 1990++ as I saw it for a price of 2600THB in a wine shop a couple of weeks ago.......To make it short, go and try because experience is always better than words.

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
McLean, Virginia
“no longer impressed by service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

i reviewed this restaurant favorably once before after several visits. i went a couple of weeks ago. they didn't have the wine i ordered so i moved up to a rioja, generally a safe bet. the wine had been "cooked" somewhere during the shipping. it had that burnt raisin taste of having been stored in the tropical heat at some point. when i pointed it out to the waiter, he swore up and down there was nothing wrong with the wine and that it had been stored at the right temperature in their cellar. i pointed out that there was a great deal of distance from spain to their cellar, including the docks of bangkok. he finally decided that he had to do something so he took the wine to the back of the bar, filtered it through some cheesecloth and decanted it before bringing it back. it was still rather obnoxious. now given the fact that the wine had been marked up at least twice from the supermarket retail price (i realize that there is a cost to sitting on a wine cellar full of wine), i felt like he should have bit the bullet, offered me another bottle of wine in order to keep me as a customer. (i've eaten there several times and would have continued to do so.) this would not have cost him all that much. in fact he still would have made a profit from our visit, just somewhat less. now i won't go back to the restaurant and am writing this pan of the restaurant. the customer is sometimes right and should generally be treated like he's always right. that's how you continue to make money and garner more customers by word of mouth. sorry.

• Visited March 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank CMKeur
Petit Z, Owner at Comptoir Eiffel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Dear Sir,

Thank you for your comment. First I would like to apologize as this should never have happened. Then you have to believe me when I say that I truly don't understand what has been going on that day.

It's for sure our waiter's fault, as of course he is not a wine expert and he should have immediately warned the Manager in duty (either me or my husband) in order to let us take the proper decision. Unfortunatelly he didn't mention the problem and apparently neither did you when we cheched the table (we check 100% of tables). I'm angry against my waiter and sad that you didn't talk to us directly when you had the occasion, as this matter would have been settled in less than 2 minutes.

We of course know that wine can be not corked but still damaged because of the transportation conditions as you pointed it out. Actually, it's really not a matter for us to change bottle as all damaged bottles are replaced for free by our suppliers.

I just would like to add something regarding the price you mentioned: either you found an amazing promotion in your supermarket or maybe it was not the same wine, as the price you mentioned is actually the one our supplier is offering us. Indeed, as wine lovers we are proud to offer very reasonable prices on all our bottles, to the sacrifice of our margin.

We would like to apologize again and we are so sorry as this story really doesn't represent our politics regarding wine and taking care of our customers. Again, I don't understand how we couldn't noticed this problem while visiting your table.

Yours sincerely,