With lots of *Excellent* rating from previous reviews, I was quite disappointed with the experience of our 2 night stay at Baan Boran. I had prepaid 1500 baht per night so even though I had read all the good reviews my expectation wasn't too high given the low-ish rate, given the great location of Baan Boran.
So, good rate, great location - why I was so disappointed? Well, first impression! We arrived the hotel in the evening time when I remember I had a happy mood but somehow the first member of staff managed to make me felt terribly grumpy in under 15 mins. She greeted us with good English but a moody face. Everytime I tried to ask her something in Thai, she bluntly replied like she didn't want to reply or sometimes just ignored my questions and all I got was a weird silence. Even more strangely, she then address herself to one of us who is British and only spoke English with him and looked at him through the whole hotel/nearby area introduction, and I was completely ignored! He might be incredibly handsome, but I have never known his presence to induce such an effect before. I felt unwelcome.
I would not be less surprised by her weird action were I not the lead guest, who did the booking and pre-paid for the room. And I would not be so grumpy if she couldn't speak or understand Thai, but she could do those very well.
My only conclusion of her weird action is that, she probably loves to please only foreigner guests which is completely wrong! (this is probably why I have seen lots of *Excellent* rating from the previous reviews written by foreigners). In conclusion, I felt the fake hospitality from her.
It would be too bad if I rated a hotel based only on one rude staff member. So all the pros and cons here :
- Not too expensive
- Great location (near many Bangkok famous tourist attractions)
- Good breakfast, recommend to select Thai style breakfast which is
seafood fried rice or Pad Thai served with a little bowl of tasty creamy Tom Yum Kung
- Spacious and clean room
- Comfortable bed
- Good TV
- Wi-fi internet works well
- Good shower head, have hot shower
- Anyway, not all staff were that bad. I found out later that other staff who even
couldn't speak English well compared to the first rude staff, were very friendly and helpful.
- No fridge
- Small bathroom/toilet room (Thai style, not separate the dry and wet area), no trigger gun
- Cheap decoration, not that special
- Hotel and restaurant reception is the same desk. It seemed like the place was run only by young staff ladies during our stay. We didn't see the hotel owners or manager around to welcome or service. So guests like us could get an impression that the owners of the place don't pay much attention to the hotel side of the business.
- View from our room was terrible, looked over a land space with lots of garbage
All in all, I would probably *not* go back to this place again, and if I would like to stay somewhere in the same area, I would pay a little bit more and stay at Baan Dinso Hostel which is just a short walk from Baan Boran and truly worth the rate *Excellent* for both Thai and foreign guests instead.
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Travelocity, Booking.com, HostelWorld, Cheap Tickets, Ctrip TA, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Baan Boran reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.