“Terrible first impression!”

Baan Boran
Ranked #245 of 731 Bangkok B&B and Inns
Reviewed November 17, 2012

Baan Boran

With lots of *Excellent* rating from previous reviews, I was quite disappointed with the experience of our 2 night stay at Baan Boran. I had prepaid 1500 baht per night so even though I had read all the good reviews my expectation wasn't too high given the low-ish rate, given the great location of Baan Boran.

So, good rate, great location - why I was so disappointed? Well, first impression! We arrived the hotel in the evening time when I remember I had a happy mood but somehow the first member of staff managed to make me felt terribly grumpy in under 15 mins. She greeted us with good English but a moody face. Everytime I tried to ask her something in Thai, she bluntly replied like she didn't want to reply or sometimes just ignored my questions and all I got was a weird silence. Even more strangely, she then address herself to one of us who is British and only spoke English with him and looked at him through the whole hotel/nearby area introduction, and I was completely ignored! He might be incredibly handsome, but I have never known his presence to induce such an effect before. I felt unwelcome.

I would not be less surprised by her weird action were I not the lead guest, who did the booking and pre-paid for the room. And I would not be so grumpy if she couldn't speak or understand Thai, but she could do those very well.

My only conclusion of her weird action is that, she probably loves to please only foreigner guests which is completely wrong! (this is probably why I have seen lots of *Excellent* rating from the previous reviews written by foreigners). In conclusion, I felt the fake hospitality from her.

It would be too bad if I rated a hotel based only on one rude staff member. So all the pros and cons here :

pros :

- Not too expensive
- Great location (near many Bangkok famous tourist attractions)
- Good breakfast, recommend to select Thai style breakfast which is
seafood fried rice or Pad Thai served with a little bowl of tasty creamy Tom Yum Kung
- Spacious and clean room
- Comfortable bed
- Good TV
- Wi-fi internet works well
- Good shower head, have hot shower
- Anyway, not all staff were that bad. I found out later that other staff who even
couldn't speak English well compared to the first rude staff, were very friendly and helpful.

cons :

- No fridge
- Small bathroom/toilet room (Thai style, not separate the dry and wet area), no trigger gun
- Cheap decoration, not that special
- Hotel and restaurant reception is the same desk. It seemed like the place was run only by young staff ladies during our stay. We didn't see the hotel owners or manager around to welcome or service. So guests like us could get an impression that the owners of the place don't pay much attention to the hotel side of the business.
- View from our room was terrible, looked over a land space with lots of garbage

All in all, I would probably *not* go back to this place again, and if I would like to stay somewhere in the same area, I would pay a little bit more and stay at Baan Dinso Hostel which is just a short walk from Baan Boran and truly worth the rate *Excellent* for both Thai and foreign guests instead.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LoveCip

Reviewed October 18, 2012 via mobile

A nice place to stay. Quieter location slightly off the tourist track but a short easy walk to Khao San Road (therefore loads of places to eat and drink). Staff are very friendly and helpful but don't speak alot of English. Free breakfast includes western and Thai dishes.

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank alexkateg16
Reviewed August 20, 2012

Although the street it is on isn't the most scenic or easy to find for a taxi driver the best thing about the hotel is the location. It is an easy 10 minute walk to Khao San Rd, the Grand Palace and the river which for our short stay in Bangkok was ideal.
The staff are helpful although there is generally only one person on at a time who speaks English. The room was clean and tidy but could have done with a fridge.
For anyone looking to stay in the Khao San Rd area this small hotel represents great value in this price bracket.

2  Thank GeeBee053
Reviewed August 13, 2012

Baan Boran is located near Khao San Road, Grand Palace, Wat Pho and the big river. Nice location but the local people live very dirty and smelly.
The friendly staff served drinks and a little fruit every afternoon. They were very helpfull but had trouble speaking english. Only one of the girls spoke some english.
Our room was fairly big and clean, and had a flat screen tv but no fridge thou.
The breakfast was not impressing. It was a choice between two slices of toast with egg, ham and sausage or a Pad Thai. The portions were small and quality standard.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 9, 2012

Great hotel, very good and accomodating service. The food was good and the people working at the hotel were very nice though not speaking english very well. The room was very clean, despite an odor of sewage coming from the toilets. Also, from our room we had a view of what looked like a slum. But we did feel very safe in the hotel and in surronding areas, even if it is not as touristy as Kao San road.
Great value for the price.
Taxi drivers seems to have difficulty to find the hotel. Locating the hotel on a map could be of some help.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 26, 2012

Baan Boran was an amazing place to stay for the cost, I have no complaints. The staff was very accommodating and was always on call if anything was needed. They were very nice and helped us several times describe to our tuk-tuk/taxi drivers where we were going. This one thing we had trouble with was the location, it is tucked away on an off street that was difficult to find with the map the hotel gives you. My suggestion is to buy a city map, as soon as I did I had no problems getting back. Overall this was an amazing place, the rooms were clean, and for the price I'm not sure if you can beat it. It was also a plus that many of the big sites to see were a 15-20 minute walk away and it is near the port for the water taxi's which was very helpful.

1  Thank Bradleybl3
Reviewed July 15, 2012

Room very clean. Staff spoke good English and were happy to help with suggestions, directions, etc. Greeted warmly. Allowed us to leave some market purchases for safekeeping for two weeks until we came back through.

1  Thank Jen B