“Great way to see Bangkok”

Small Teak Boat Canal Adventure
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Please email or call to reserve before you come down to our office. If you are looking for an authentic Thai thing to do, our canal tour is the one! Because boats on canals were used as transport traditionally, many interesting sites are along the water way. Our tour stops at: Morning Fresh Produce Market(Weekend altered with a canal-side floating market), Orchid Nursery in Green Rush, Hidden Forest Temple, Traditional Thai House (the Artist's House). We can also arrange custom tours around water ways.
Useful Information: Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Activities for young children
Sacramento
30 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“Great way to see Bangkok”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

I absolutely loved this tour! We did this tour the first day we arrived in Bangkok on the recommendation of a friend. Our guides, Khing and Tao, were both excellent. Tao picked us up promptly from our hotel, and took us by taxi to boat. He helped us order our morning coffee (and taught us how to order it in Thai, which was SUPER useful for the rest of the time there), and picked up snacks for us to have on the boat. Khing and Tao made sure we had a variety of different fruits and that bottled water was always available to us during the tour. The stops at the Orchid Farm, various Wats, and lunch were excellent. The local food was delicious, and we were permitted to sample the soup to be sure we enjoyed the taste of it before ordering.

I had the unfortunate experience of losing expensive sunglasses over the side of the boat during our lunch stop (we were warned ahead of time to be careful, whoops!), and Khing actually found someone who was willing to dive into the canal and search the bottom of the river for my sunglasses, which were recovered! That was totally unexpected and I was SO appreciative!!

The puppet show was interesting, but, for me, not the most exciting part of the tour. I could have passed on it. Unfortunately, there were no floating markets when we went as it was a weekday, but we did get to see many sights along the canal and hear interesting facts throughout the duration of the tour. At the end of the day, Khing and Tao ordered us a couple desserts (including mango sticky rice) before the tour concluded. It was really great having tour guides who could order for us because it allowed us to try and experience food we would otherwise be unfamiliar with. We also bought a mosquito relief ointment at the orchid farm that was crucial for the remainder of the trip!

Everything during the tour is paid for, and there is time to do a little shopping at the end while at the artists house. The only minor hiccup we had was the end of the tour; we had paid for transportation back to the hotel which I dont think our guides were made aware of. They did take us back to the hotel via song tao and the BTS, which was very inexpensive (and, ultimately, not a big deal to buy the tickets), but, as we had paid for transportation in advance this should have been covered. In hindsight, we really only needed the pick up from the hotel, as getting around Bangkok is very simple and straight forward.

One of the best parts of the tour was the personal knowledge and stories told by the guides about their lives. It was so interesting to hear about Tao's time as a monk, and hear about Khing's other interests in travel and photography. Khing also presented each of us on the tour with a personal card containing one of her photographs at the end; it was such a thoughtful gesture and something I love having as a keepsake from the trip.

I highly recommend this trip, and think that both guides, Khing and Tao, are excellent!

• Polish first
  • Thai first
  • Turkish first
Naples, Florida
350 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 277 helpful votes
“A great way to see daily life in Bangkok”
Reviewed November 28, 2013

Our hotel arranged our tour, and the boat picked us up at the hotel dock. There was quite a delay at the lock to pass from the river into the canal network, but our boat operator compensated us by adding extra time to the trip. Once into the canals, it is a wonderful peaceful way to view daily life in Bangkok. Hawkers ride up in their little boats to sell you a beer. There is every level of housing from shack to mansion, there are temples and wats, People fishing, bathing, cooking, and relaxing. As you ride by, a little wave of the hand. This is one of the few Bangkok experiences one returns from with a sense of relaxation.

Phoenix, Arizona
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 47 helpful votes
“Now this is the way to see a local floating market!”
Reviewed November 18, 2013

I actually took my small teak boat floating market tour in August 13, but have not gotten around to write a review until I was prompted by taking a last minute Damnoen Saduak Floating Market Tour this November 13 (GROSS).

To start with: Ask for Jimmy as your tour guide, I cannot say enough about Jimmy! Our tours started off slow and Jimmy was a bit quite in the back and trying to speak over the boat motor. We stopped along a very nice Watt and got some insight into Thai Culture from Jimmy and a few do's and don'ts for some of the trip members. Afterwards we moved along to the small local floating market!

Here is were Jimmy came alive! I'm sure the trip included meals, as most people stated here, and you were probably seated somewhere and brought dishes to you. Our crew took a different approach... we started wandering around the floating market, grabbing beers, spicy dishes, soups, candies, coconuts, and ensued a feeding frenzy amongst the locals. I think we finally grabbed Jimmy and bought him over to our table in the middle of the market and gave him some food & drinks (he probably thought we had gone nuts). Most Thai folks were happy eating with us and some tried to speak with us. The vendors were excellent with our struggling Thai and most of all we paid regular Thai prices.

After the feeding frenzy, we were happy taking pictures with Jimmy after chatting him up and offering him food and drinks. Just a note, Jimmy was professional at all times and took great care of everyone in our group. I am sure we overstayed out time at the floating market shopping, eating, , drinking, attempting to talk to locals, and exploring the area.

Next, we made our way out the floating market down new canals, loading the boat with drinks, snacks, and souvenirs before headed out to the Pandan Orchid Farm. The group loved the farm! We walked around seeing the different types and colors of orchids while sipping on a cold beverage and Jimmy giving us more insights into the Orchid Farm and locals working the farm. We also talked to the local care takers whom where very amused by our group and their ongoings.

While we could tell Jimmy is a bit reserved, he was very accommodating and joined us in lively conversation and always made sure the boat ride continued to be safe for some of our passengers. Jimmy provided great information about the tour and Thai life in general giving us great insights.

Finally, we arrived at the puppet show and some wondered off shopping, some continued having a few more drinks chatting up Jimmy and talking about various things. After sometime we finally head back to Bangkok inviting jimmy to come along for dinner and drinks. however, I think Jimmy had had a full day with our crew and was ready to go :)

I am sure we overran our time, and caught Jimmy by surprise with our go get'm attitude. We enjoyed Jimmy's time and most of all his patience with us. The trip was relaxing & amusing. The food at the floating market was amazing and it was a blast to be around Thai people enjoying the table with us!

I say, don't be afraid to talk to Jimmy, get up and grab some dishes yourself it will only be a few THB, and make your trip what you would like it to be. Jimmy, is great at accommodating and I am sure he will not let you down.

I totally recommend this crew, ask for Jimmy, and you can make this trip a very relaxing or fun & adventurous trip.

This is an EXCELLENT way to see a floating market where you will get some cultural insight, bypass the tourist trap, and hopefully get up and grab some dishes yourself at a truly local floating market. We only wished we should have taken more pictures and could have taken some Orchids home.

Thank you again!!!

Visited August 2013
Stockholm, Sweden
65 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 46 helpful votes
“A different, diverse and excellent view of Bangkok”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Both my wife and I have been to Bangkok a number of times and spent our days fighting traffic, catching the skytrain and walking the streets shopping. I read a great review of Pandan Tours Small Teak Boat adventure and thought this was a "must do". I was not disappointed - in fact I was delighted.

Our tour guide Nui met us at the hotel Chatrium (which I reviewed as excellent) and after a short taxi ride our trip on the canals started. To be honest the highlight was Nui, as she shared the history and background of the sights during the trip

We visited 2 temples, where we saw only locals and we were the only tourists as these are not on the beaten paths. We went to a flower garden, saw a puppet show, ate lunch at one of the floating markets - actually this was the other highlight - loved the food the colour and the locals.

I could go one and on and absolutely rave about the experience but all I would say is DO THIS and try hard to get Nui as your guide. It was an excellent day 9am until 3pm - time well spent.

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Reliable good customised service, again”
Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

Organiser Sacha once again met our specific requests even though cruising on a small boat along the Ayutthaya river was not on her standard programme and there were reports of flooding there. Guide Pat once again made it a very enjoyable tour for us, met our desires for local dishes at local roadside stalls, and has a fantastic knowledge of Ayutthaya. It was great to see her again. This time we also had a special treat of Tom as our accompanying driver. Highly recommend their service.

Visited October 2013
pandantour, Owner at Small Teak Boat Canal Adventure, responded to this review, January 21, 2014
Yes, we are back to doing what we are good at; and that is doing canal tour, small private floating market tour, and private party tour of Bangkok and the surrounding area. We focus on making our guests of small intimate group enjoy the "Big Mango" or Krungthep as we say in Thai! It's that warm fussy feeling we get when we had a really good day of fun and relaxing time on our holiday.

Thank you for your great review!

Tom