“Not sure what the fuss is about...”

Ethos Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #84 of 11,598 Restaurants in Bangkok
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Banglamphu
Description: Vegetarian and vegan food made with love, integrity and ethics. Huge menu of classic Thai cuisine plus variety of foods from around the world including Italian, Middle Eastern, Indian, and fusion food.Specialties include home-fermented pro-biotic Kombucha Tea in 5 exotic flavors, home-made Tempeh, home-made yogurt and home-baked wholewheat bread. Certified 100% Organic Rice and other organic products. No preservatives, No MSG.100's of pure fruit and vegetable juices, blended fruit drinks and exotic teas. Variety of vegan desserts including gluten-free vegan pancakes, home-baked Apple Crumble made with coconut butter.Relaxing world music and a homely atmosphere create a unique eating experience a world apart from local Khaosan Road!
Reviewed March 30, 2013

The restaurant is nicely decorated with a typical eco-friendly feel to it. That's pretty much all I liked about it.
The menu looked appealing and the other reviews were really good so we ordered a lot (probably too many for 2) as we really wanted to try a lot of different dishes. I am used to eating vegetarian food but everything tasted blend and the sauces were very thin. I didn't each much - it was just not tasty at all and in Thailand you quickly get used to amazing food so eating this for the sake of it wasn't possible. The hummous and pita bread was good that's it.
The staff also wasn't attentive at all - probably 4 people in the restaurant for 6 guests but they preferred to chat.
I'm rating 2/5 as the restaurant and kitchen seemed clean and there was free wifi but I can't recommend this place.

2  Thank headortail

Reviewed March 7, 2013

Ordered pad thai, rat na, tom yam and a falafel. the thai food was terrible, really bland, no flavour. the falafel was delicious as was our smoothies.

the bill arrived and was scribbled so it appeared illegible then the change arrived short. challenged the waiter about it and he slammed a 100 baht on the table without apology. Clearly he is either rude or knew the change was short.

Clearly it is a polished act, most of the paitrons will be to 'hippified' to bother checking their change.

If your not a vegetarian there is no reason for a visit.

5  Thank ezgeezer
Reviewed March 6, 2013

If you are vegetarian or vegan, or just interested in nice food, you definitely want to find this place. It has a beautiful menu including western favourites, Thai and middle- eastern, the food is made with thought and understanding, you can even order healthy vegan crepes cooked in coconut oil.

Reviewed March 4, 2013

This place really allows you to eat how you want to eat, and that really means a lot in Bangkok.

I really took for granted the degree to which having a say in what kinds of foods I eat and the manner in which those foods are prepared is a luxury until I began traveling through Western Europe (Berlin excluded of course (it's lair of mad vegans)) and ulitmately made my way down to SE Asia.

The food is just great, I ordered way too much as I was expecting small portions on account to prices being so cheap. I had a massive salad, a big plate of really amazingly seasoned hummus and a huge bowl of lentil soup served with a wheat roll. It all cost a little over 13 dollars, with a tip.

Everything tasted fresh, it all had this super "homemade" flavor. If you're in the mood for something a little more fried they've got that kind of stuff too as well as a nice selection of curries, classic Thai dishes, amazing looking breakfast selections, teas, homemade kombuchas, and some alcohol cocktails/beers-- yeah, its a pretty extensive menu and something on the order of 85% of it is vegan (the rest vegetarian).

You have your choice of sitting on chairs at a regular table or on mats at small, floor level tables, the ambiance is dimly lit, natural hues--oranges and browns with chill (but not offensively so) music playing. It is not a place where you will see a lot of Thais eating, it seems to be more a hangout for expats, although I could be wrong about that, I was only there once.

Finally, they offer free wifi, the password is on the wall next to the service counter, be sure to take of your shoes as you enter, the hours at the time of of this review are 7:00 - 23:45 daily.

Reviewed March 3, 2013

my husband and I wondered over to Ethos after visiting the Grand Palace. We are not vegetarians but definitely appreciate good fresh, healthy food where you can trust the ingredients (we live in China where MSG is sold in bulk). We ordered the papaya salad & pad thai. Both were fabulous and we would order again. The mango coconut shake was amazing & not overly sweetened. We ended with the apple crumble which is seriously the best dessert I have ever had in Asia. The atmsphere is very relaxed. A good place to meet strangers & talk w/ the local staff. We will defnitely go back if we are in the area again.

Been to Ethos Vegetarian Restaurant? Share your experiences!