“awesome stay” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #19 of 1,131 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Candy Land
“awesome stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2014

did two weeks here during the World Cup, needless to say we were a bit loud for the 3 am matches and no complaints. poor manners I know. aside from that the place is perfect. 7 minute walk to BTS Chongnonsi, 4 minute walk to Villa Market and 3 minutes to a 7-11. we used taxi for short rides to the W hotel, Ku De Ta and Pullman G for some dinners. price range from 39 to 47 baht. you could walk to these places easy but it requires going up some stairs and if your dressed nice better to get that air con taxi.

staff really aim to please and the maid service is daily. pool was empty some days and full on others. fitness pretty much wide open with one or two users that I noticed on my daily swims there's no restaurant on site but you can order pretty much anything in Bangkok and have it delivered. we did KFC and the hotel is on file so fast delivery. never bothered with the library and the sauna you need to ask for assistance first. steam room men's locker room was broken all 14 days.

the rooms are really nice with TV's and DVD players. only one safe in the master bedroom. comfy beds with 6 pillows in the master. both rooms full baths. living and dining comfy as well with another TV w DVD player. Three air conditioners that chill to well. outside lanai if you smoke. kitchen has almost everything. no oven but they have baking sheets, we had trouble with the toaster and just grilled morning toast on a frying pan. washer and dryer with free soap. you can grab softener for a buck at the 7-11.

Just a relaxing stay in a great location. close to Silom the River and an easy run by taxi to Sukhumvit area and Centralworld via Wireless road.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank kai_khem

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 26, 2014

The units themselves are modern and lovely; the photos uploaded by other reviewers are still accurate. This property is actually part of a high rise upscale condominium building in the financial area of Bangkok - away from most other hotels, restaurants and attractions frequented by leisure travellers.

The staff are in their office 24/7, friendly, efficient, always willing to answer questions, assist with a problem or hail you a cab. Wat and Non were especially helpful.

The good: Well cared for, clean and secure property. While it's an out of the way location, neighborhood seems very safe. Staff is great. Units have housekeeping service daily and fresh bottled water is also provided daily.

The not so good: Because this is part of a private residence there are no services available - no gift shop, no business center - not even a printer, no restaurants, there isn't even a vending machine. This is actually more inconvenient than it might sound.

The pool looked inviting although we didn't use it during our trip. The fitness center is not as large as it appears in the photos and 2 of the 4 cardio machines were out of order.

The Villa Market, a block and a half away is quite well stocked but expensive if you are looking for western foods (a large box of corn flakes was about $9 USD).

The only restaurant recommended by the staff is Sarah Janes about a block away. We found the atmosphere "lacking", the food quality fair to mediocre and the service friendly but in need of improvement. We chose not to eat there a second time....

Although the Skytrain is nearby it is inconvenient and during rush hours the lines there looked as bad as the surface traffic - which is horrible, even as early as 6:30 am.

If you stay here - there is a lovely Italian restaurant across the highway (you reach it by going up the stairs at the closest overpass and then back down on the other side of the road) called U'Livo. I found this myself using an app called "Around Me". I don't know why most of the Marriott staff don't mention it as they are aware it exists. It is owned and operated by a former Four Seasons chef, who circulates in the dining room, welcoming guests and offers some complimentary items like bread, a small appetizer and petit fours.

The Ascott Hotel on Sathorn Rd has the "M Pub" which is an English style bar and restaurant that is another option for dinner. Most everything else is too far to walk - not due to distance - but due to heat and humidity.

There does appear to be 2 or 3 more restaurants opening soon that may provide some relief - otherwise, pick a place, choose a later hour to dine avoiding the worst traffic and take a cab.

All in all, the property itself and the people were great but if I was returning to Bangkok, I would choose to stay in an area that offered more amenities.

A word about the military rule - if I hadn't known about it through international news I wouldn't have had a clue. We never saw any evidence whatsoever of a problem or heightened military presence, even at the airport. Don't let this stop you from visiting.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
6 Thank IHSPAJ
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at The Empire Place Condo, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Thank you for visiting us on your recent trip to Bangkok! We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to welcoming you back soon!
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2014

We spent a week here after a lengthy trip around southeast Asia. The amenities were incredible, everything was clean, and the staff was superb. There are a few good restaurants nearby, a pretty extensive grocery store, and the sky train only a five minute walk away. Definitely one of the top 5 places we've ever stayed.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
3 Thank ajtarzia
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at The Empire Place Condo, responded to this review, June 13, 2014
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your time at the Marriott Vacation Club at Empire Place! Thank you for your five-star TripAdvisor review and we hope you will return soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2014

I'm a long-time Marriott customer and our family has long had Marriott time shares. Whenever I stay in a hotel, the local Marriott properties are the first I look at. In Bangkok, I wasn't disappointed by the VC at Empire.

This convenient location is just block from the Metro, but don't make the beginner's mistake of heading down the first flights of stairs you see, or you'll have to climb back up and over to reach the hotel. When you're lugging your suitcase in Bangkok heat/humidity like I was, this means entering the hotel looking like a man on the run who can't form a single coherent sentence.

The staff of the hotel was gracious, helpful, and informative. From the incredible assistance we got when we arrived, to help booking and confirming plans, I couldn't have asked for more.

The pool area is quite nice, and the gym looks out over it, reminding those of us trying to get in shape how could we could look if we actually really worked out more often.

The one downside to this facility is the lack of amenities. The Marriott VC Empire is like James Bond without Q. We've got in-room washer/dryer, but where's the small drug store on-property? Where's the cafe? The restaurant? The pool bar? Perhaps I'm biased, because I'm use to those at other Marriotts, and in face I didn't miss these features that much as I was too busy taking the city in. However, the one day I caught my breath, it would have been nice to do so with a Singha or Tiger by the pool.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Jonathan J
We appreciate your TripAdvisor review, Johnathan! Our team is excited to learn you enjoyed your stay with us in Bangkok at the Empire Place. We hope you will return soon in the near future!
Subang Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 19, 2014

Overall, it was a nice, spacious service apartment with all the familiar comforts one would expect of Marriott clubs. The staff were were very friendly and some even went out of their way to provide us with valuable advice as to the current situation in Bangkok and how to go about in certain places.

Avoid the limo service but take the taxis and insist on them using meters instead. You'll save a whole lot of baht that way. I was going to rent a limo for our daily ventures into Bangkok city (family of 5) but upon trying out the taxis, I know I had saved A LOT of money. Taxi drivers were polite, so were the Thais we met while in Bangkok.

Not much to say about Empire Place apart from the fact that Marriot Club has a few apartments catered to members there. For grocery there's a 7-11 nearby...or an expat type supermarket bout 5 mins walk to the right of Empire Place when you step out onto the road.

Overall experience....it was ok. Good for a shopping trip and visiting the river markets. Weekend Market at Chatuchak is where you want to get stuffs. The much talked about wholesale MBK market, while cheaper than other places cant beat prices at Chatuchak Weekend Market for sure.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
5 Thank NazzMN
MVCI_Executive, Customer Care at The Empire Place Condo, responded to this review, April 21, 2014
Thank you for staying with us on your recent trip to Bangkok! We appreciate your positive review and hope you can join us again soon!
Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2014

There is a residential section of the condos and a vacation section of the condos. Extremely nice property. Located just a couple of blocks from The City Viva which has a grocery store, restaurants and spa. Delicious food cart vendors along the streets. Also an outdoor food market just a few blocks down the road that's only open for lunch until the food runs out - so cheap and so tasty!

We stayed in a 2 bedroom condo. It was beautifully decorated with modern Thai style. Housekeeping comes in daily without additional cost. Washer/dryer conveniently located in our unit. The kids enjoyed checking out complimentary DVD movies from the main office every night.

The pool is very clean and relaxing. Gym with ceiling to floor glass windows overlook the pool area and also has a great view of the city. There is also a swing set and see-saw next to the pool for the kids to play.

The staff at the Empire Place is top notch! Always professional, friendly and polite. We had to make a trip to the hospital Emergency room during our stay. The staff helped us to call our insurance company and find out the closest hospital that our insurance would be accepted. Once we arrived at the hospital, we ran into some difficulties and couldn't verify our insurance with the hospital. The hospital told us that they could not dial out long-distance for some strange reason. Fortunately, we called the Empire Place and they put us on a conference call from the hospital in order for us to make the long-distance call with our insurance company! Talk about service - they went above and beyond to help us in a stressful time of need.

We took taxis to visit other locations nearby and scheduled tours through Viator. We most enjoyed the Floating Market, riding elephants in Khao Yai and visiting the Grand Palace & temples. Highly recommend watching the dinner buffet & show at Siam Niramit - excellent!

Great location. Great staff. Great condo. Would absolutely love to come visit again!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank SaseboSeashell
Stockholm, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 14, 2014

My expectations maybe was not so high for this place but I got myself a big surprise.
I really love this club on all levels.

Initially the check-in was handled very professionally and fast, my luggage was transported to the flat and when opening the door to the apartment I was positively surprised and happy. Perfect.

The apartment contains everything you might possibly need when visiting a foreign city, with a fully equipped kitchen, dining table for four persons, modern TV with lots of channels & a DVD player (also in the bedroom) and a beautiful bathroom with bath tub and shower. Perfect.

Hidden behind doors I cold find washing machine and dryer.
AND. Not to forget - there was also washing powder available. AND cleaning tools for the dishing (I have never seen that anywhere else...). Perfect.

I was aware of the neighbors because I saw them - but I never heard anything from the next room apartment. Very good isolation I guess. Perfect.

The pool was nice and big enough. However, the sun beds where totally misplaced in the shadow. Since they where on wheels I could move them to the sunny parts but...
The Gym had nice equipment and had a fantastic view. Perfect.
I think there was also a tennis court but I never went there.

For me the location was very good. BTS is close by and the taxi´s could easily find Empire Tower as it is well known. Perfect.

For me it is VERY important with good internet connection. At MVC the internet was really fast and reliable. Connection was done automatically when entering the flat (as it should be) and no need to enter passwords every single minute. Perfect!

I was so much enjoying this place so I should not tell you about it. I want it to be a secret for only me to use whenever I come to Bangkok...

Very good work by all the staff at MVC! Simply... PERFECT!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank gelGoE
Ryan N, Corporate Customer Care Manager at The Empire Place Condo, responded to this review, May 7, 2014
Thank you for your five-star TripAdvisor review! It's great to hear Marriott Vacation Club at Empire Place exceeded your expectations on every level. We hope to see you again soon and thank you again for your review!