“One of the toughest reviews”

Conrad Bangkok Residences
Ranked #336 of 858 Hotels in Bangkok
Asheville, North Carolina
common_n_hotel_reviews_1bd8 1,158 helpful votes
“One of the toughest reviews”
Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is the toughest review I would have written so far. But it is important for me to be fair, honest and candid in order to provide meaningful insight to other readers.

Conrad has 2 properties (Hotel and Residences) adjacent to each other, and on HHonors.com they do show up as separate listings. The rates at the Residences are generally lower than the Hotel with far more spacious accomodations and with full access to all of the Hotel facilities and public areas (as mentioned on the Residences website). So, as any prudent person might do, I made my reservation at the Residences, and as a HHonors Diamond member, I expected the full set of benefits. There was nothing on the Residences website or on the HHonors website to indicate that there are any exceptions to this.

When I checked in, I was surprised to be told that I would not get any breakfast or any upgrade or any access to the Executive Lounge because the Residences did not 'recognize' the Diamond status. After a bit of an ado with the first level manager, they 'graciously' offered to include breakfast, but in the restaurant, not in the Lounge. I refused and insisted on having access to the Lounge as I was entitled, and as clearly and categorically mentioned in the HHonors rules. I also confirmed this with the HHonors service center in the USA. Again, after much ado they checked me into the Hotel so that I could access the Lounge.

I was given a room on the Executive floor, and it was one of the smallest for this category hotel, definitely the smallest of any other Conrad property I have stayed in, and very small by Bangkok standards where suites at half the price of a Conrad room are very common. I made another little stink, and very soon, Salita the Front Office Manager took me under her wings, and thereafter it was smooth sailing for the most part in a very cramped room. To be fair to Salita, she did offer to move me to another room on the 2nd day, but by that time we were too settled to want to move.

This Conrad is a shade of all other Conrads I have stayed in, just not in the same league. It seems no more luxurious than a high end Hilton. On the 2nd day, we returned at 2.30 in the afternoon after a long tiring morning to find that our room had not been serviced yet. All that I got for this was 'sorry for the inconvenience, we will have it serviced right away'. Of course, you will have it serviced right away while I wait in the Lounge all sweaty and dirty. How about something more tangible? That is other than fruits that kept piling up in the room. We get fruits in the room any way, plus there are ample fruits in the Lounge, and we eat them all over Bangkok all day, so what is so special about them? Specially when the fruits are not even the local favorites.

The Lounge is spacious and comfortable with iffy service at best. One morning I did manage to ask the chef for some mangosteens that were just awesome. The breakfast and evening spreads were the usual, nothing special, specially if you are a vegetarian. There were mainly dead animals all around. The Spa is way overpriced for Bangkok even at this category hotel. The concierge desk was very helpful and very knowledgable.

So here is my dilemma. Management, in the form of the Front Office Manager, were trying very hard to please me, but all after the fact, after I raised the issues and made a stink. As the most loyal HHonors member, I was being shortchanged and given all kinds of excuses why my Diamond status is not valid at Residences. They kept insisting that it was HHonors and their website that was at fault, and the HHonors is to be blamed. They refused to accept the simple fact that by listing themselves on the HHonors website and by clearly stating that the Residences guests were entitled to access all the facilities in the Hotel, and the fact that the two properties are joined at the hip, they had no leg to stand on.

At this level, one expects anticipation and exemplary service (even if the guest is wrong which I clearly was not), and not make the guest feel like he has done something wrong and reprimand him for it. There is no excuse for this, no matter how much sugar coating there may be subsequently.

The value threshold for this hotel is $120 all inclusive. There are far better hotels in Bangkok at far lower prices.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank ZenHealer7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 13, 2013

I prepaid for a one-bedroom suite for 2 nights for two adults and one child. The suite was spacious, the kitchen was well supplied, the rate was superb and we received a rollaway, international newspapers and late checkout at no additional cost. The Conrad is connected to a mall with a Tops Supermarket and Asia Books, very convenient and located near restaurants and cafes. This is a well-managed property, well maintained, clean, and the staff are responsive and helpful. Definitely a strong recommendation, I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The good reviews are always easy...
Great value for your money with a magnificent breakfast, great pool area, excellent service, great dinner buffet....all in all a perfect 4 day stay for my family with 3 kids between 8 and 12. This was during christmas period and it was faultless.

We will be back!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
Reviewed December 1, 2012

As my husband was working in Bangkok, we rented a 2 bedroom suite at the Conrad Residences for 7 days (6 nights).

The suite consisted of one small kitchen, complete with fridge/freezer, microwave, washer/dryer combo, hot water heater, coffee press, sink, mugs, tea, coffee; a dining/living room area with table for 4, large screen tv, couch and chair; two bedrooms - one an ensuite and the other a separate bed/bath.

We used the kitchen every day! It was perfect for snacks and beverages - we never used the minibar. Room service was very good and quick - having the dining table meant we could eat in the room without sitting on the bed or crowding on the couch.

Both bedrooms had sizable closet space and work desks. Bathrooms were immaculate and our view decent.

Staff were friendly, helpful, neat, patient, and professional. The workout room is great and I took one of the complementary yoga classes. I did not have a chance to use the spa facilities.

Only two complaints: not enough outlets in the living room. With all the tech gadgets we travel with, we could only use them in the bedrooms as (complaint number two) the wireless was out for the 2nd half of the trip. Despite several phone calls and techs coming by, the issue was not resolved before we left.

We ate at the breakfast buffet one morning and although it was pricey, the food and selection were outstanding. The hotel is connected to a decent mall that has several good restaurants, ATM, drug store, grocery store, and medical facility.

Location is perfect - a 5 minute walk to the Skytrain and lots of good restaurants/shopping within walking distance.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank MaryBarbara H
Laurel, Maryland
Reviewed November 3, 2012

This was my third trip to Thailand and my second in Bangkok. The first trip to Bangkok led us to the Conrad Hotel in Bangkok. We had a wonderful experience and decided to return to the same hotel. However, the Conrad Hotel was booked, so we ended up at the Conrad Residences Bangkok – and in the coordination this seemed a great option as my brother-in-law, his wife and son were going with us and there was a two bedroom suite at a great price. So, we booked it, paid in advance (never has been an issue with Hilton in the past), and arrived on time.
However, upon checking-in some issues emerged. First, per the front desk, the Conrad Residences do not go off of the normal Hilton rules. In that, there is no free breakfast for myself and the guests and no access to the Executive Room at the Conrad – regardless of the fact the buildings are connected. I contacted Hilton Diamond reservations line and they confirmed that indeed my rights as a Diamond are for free breakfast and the Executive Room. However, while they sent the message to the Hotel – the Conrad Residences held their line and would not gain us access to these facilities. I was not pleased at all.
Now, that said, the staff at the pool, which we were allowed to use, were excellent and friendly as were the staff at the Conrad Hotel. We used the Concierge Service at the Conrad several times and they were awesome. They helped us plan for the days tour and with maps and other services. They are excellent and most helpful. Finally, the folks cleaning the room were outstanding and the rooms very comfortable and the beds and other amenities were clean and fresh.
So – if you plan to use the Conrad Residences, please recognize they run the hotel completely separate from the attached Conrad Hotel. This is terrible in the long run if you are on vacation and enjoy the benefits of being a diamond.

Room Tip: King beds roomy and pool awesome - usually quiet. If you want free breakfast and access to the Exec...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank Matthew H
Bristol
Reviewed November 1, 2012

Our room and the hotel facilities were excellent, as we would expect, but with a difference. My wife and I were staying there while we arranged to bring home our young son, who had suddenly died in Bangkok; having discovered our plight, the staff showed us extraordinary kindness and a great deal of unsolicited help, way beyond the usual level of courtesy, and it came from the heart.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
TOKYO
Reviewed October 14, 2012

We stayed at Conrad Bangkok Hotel at the end of last month. It's the first time for me staying at this hotel even though I have visited Bangkok more than 10 times.
When we checked-in, Japanese female staff took care of the process of the check-in. Thanks to her sincere attitude, we were able to stay without any anxieties.
The hotel was located next to a big shopping center and it's easy to access from the hotel because of a direct entranceway. As many comment shows, Tops super was spread on the 2nd floor.

Regarding buffet breakfast, there were many kinds of menu and everything was delicious. During our breakfast, the restaurant was not crowded, so we could enjoy it without noisy.

The bathroom was clean and spacious. The decoration was very modern and I liked a useful shower booth. The only thing I worried was a slippery bathtub. It's a little bit dangerous for my mother with weak legs and back pain.
Because I was scheduled to depart Bangkok next morning , I could not experience any facilities. If I can revisit the hotel, I will try a swiming pool and Spa.

In my opinion, this hotel is very sophisticated and has some staff who can understand Japanese. If you do not have confidence in speaking English, you should choose this hotel for your safe and comfortable stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family