“A Chic Hotel in Urban Bangkok !” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Best Western Plus at 20 Sukhumvit

Best Western Plus at 20 Sukhumvit
Ranked #255 of 849 Hotels in Bangkok
Kuala Lumpur
“A Chic Hotel in Urban Bangkok !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2013

Neatly tucked away in Sukhumvit 20, the Best Western Plus offers a great stay with all the characters of a chic boutique accommodation. The room is clean and in my opinion tastefully designed with all the standard amenities. The toilet has no bath but the powerful shower compensated for it. It has a nice al fresco dining area at the front and another on the top floor of the building. We were given a welcome drink that we claimed at the roof top bar. Most boutique hotels of decent size has a roof top bar to offer but do not expect much a crowd as the most would prefer to hang out in places with more vibrance. The hotel has an in-house tuk-tuk service that would offer ride to the BTS station for FREE. The hotel is approximately 10-15 minutes walk from the Asoke BTS station. Not too far but could be a challenge during rainy season.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thitiphan k, Manager at Best Western Plus at 20 Sukhumvit, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at .

BEST WESTERN PLUS At 20 Sukhumvit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
  • Vietnamese first
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2013

I have stayed at Best Western Plus on Soi 20 several times and find it to be a good hotel. The checkin can be quite slow but the personnel are nice and polite. The rooms are just starting to show a bit of wear but are generally modern and clean for Thailand.

My main complaint is that the shower drain is clogged. I informed the front desk and they sent someone up right away to fix it. The maintenance person came with a coat hanger and tried to fish out debris but there was none and it did nothing to improve the drain, yet he said he was finished. I turned the water on to show him that a lake would quickly form again on the floor. He tried the same procedure again and again said he was finished. Again I turned on the water and demonstrated the overflowing lake. I suggested some solution such as Liquid Plumber or Drano which perhaps he has no knowledge of. He simply said all rooms are same same with this condition. He left with no solution. I had to shower and turn the water off intermittently while I showered so that the water did not overflow out of the shower flooding the whole bathroom.

I have stayed in probably 50 or more hotels in Thailand and have found that new hotels are great. But after a few years, the maintenance of most all hotel rooms is sorely lacking. Such is the case in point. It is the simple little easy to fix maintenance items which the Thai hotels frequently fail to accomplish. Perhaps it is best to stick only with new hotels when possible, and in Sukhumvit, it is possible.

I would stay in the Best Western Plus again but would want the drain to be fixed to avoid an intermittent shower and a bathroom flood especially if all the rooms are poorly maintained "same, same."

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thitiphan k, Manager at Best Western Plus at 20 Sukhumvit, responded to this review, March 27, 2013

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2013

I scored a deal with this hotel, getting a king sized room for half price ($65 for single stay) so my review is probably more favourable than if I had paid the standard rate. That said, I was impressed with this hotel.

My room was clean with appealing modern furnishing and decor, including floor to ceiling glass wall offering a limited view of some of the skyline at night. As a budget traveler I felt I had been upgraded to business class.

Hotel is also well located; a five to ten minute stroll down a side street and you have access to the Sktrain and metro along with other places of interest in this popular part of Bangkok (my favorite district in the city). Wifi was good too, and I had no complaints with the level of service in other respects.

My only quibble was the delay in assigning me a room, and eventually getting two double beds pushed together to form a 'king sized' bed. A minor issue though.

All in all, very happy, though I would be looking to score a deal again if staying in the future.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thitiphan k, Manager at Best Western Plus at 20 Sukhumvit, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear Sinead F

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can provide any assistance, please don't hesitate to contact me directly at .

bangkok
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2013

I was simply not impressed by the level of quality at this supposedly Best Western. In short, I'd recommend looking elsewhere if you are looking for a hotel in Bangkok. i was delayed in entering the hotel for some reason, which was not made known, then was given a room with two single beds even though I had requested a double bed. As i live in Bangkok, it was more than a bit of a disappointment to get a bed that was smaller than the one I have in my own home, which led to a lousy night's rest.
Then to top it off, one of the counter girls who escorted me to the room asked me for a bigger tip, even though I gave double the normal tip most workers receive. She did nothing besides open the door.and put the key card in the holder in the door. There are better hotels with a whole lot more privacy than I got in this hotel. If you have a choice, I'd recommend going elsewhere.

Room Tip: Room selection is not up to the traveler in this hotel. I couldn't even get a double bed and a...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thitiphan k, Manager at Best Western Plus at 20 Sukhumvit, responded to this review, March 25, 2013

Hawaii
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed in a King suite....floor to ceiling glass windows with a good sized living room and bedroom, the bathroom was nice with a large tub, glass shower with bench, and double vanities. The staff was very friendly and helpful. It's close to Terminal 21 and Soi Cowboy....great street food nearby. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank lucky-we-live-Hawaii

Asia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2013

Got the recommendation from an hotelier friend to try it.
Just called twice this hotel and asked them to provide me their email address to send my reservation request.
Twice a very arrogant and total unprofessional gentleman replied to me that he cannot give me the email address of the hotel as they are accepting only booking thru third parties such as Agoda.com etc...
When I asked him if there is possibility to talk to a manager or supervisor, he replied to me that all of them are working night shift and available only at 9pm.
When I asked to talked to the General Manager, he replied to me that in a very rude way that: I told you that there is no one and our General Manager is a working in another hotel...

In few words: RIDICULOUS and STAY SOMEWHERE ELSE!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Chrisinasia
Berowra
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

The first impression was good. We pulled up to the hotel to have someone take our bags, organise our paperwork and escort us to our room. Friendly service with pretty good english.

The room looked ok initially. A bit small compared to our lodgingsbin phuket for the same price but its inner city we thought. Then we found the broken bathroom door and the broken toilet roll holder. The door frame was broken.. bashed in it looked. The toilet roll holder fell out of the wall with wall behind it missing. I called the front desk and they sent up someone who bent a piece of metal on the door frame so the door closed but it looked terrible and certainly wasnt properly fixed. He then pushed the toilet roll holder back into the wall and left. Every time u pull on a certain angle or too quickly the toilet roll holder falls off.

The more I looked at the place I got dissapointed. The nice dark stone looking tiles in the bathroom were complimented terribly with the worst grouting job id ever seen. Way too much grout in sections and not enough in others. One of the lights was out in the bathroom and the water flow was a huge issue. Not only was it terribly weak but it would switch between hot and cold and warm multiple times in a short shower.

We ordered the king superior room. Meant to come with a king size bed and be very luxurious. It was 2 king singles pushed together. Every time I wanted to hug my wife I had to scale a small wall where the beds met. The mattresses were also nearly as had as the floor. Hardly luxurious.

It was a suprise to see a working ipod dock and tv we used when waking up or going to sleep. No problems there at all but when we wanted to use the wifi my wife was constantly having to re log in due to conection issues and I was constantly waiting for simple pages to load. It was slow with intermittent connection issues.

My wife says the best part was the pillows. They were actually really good. The complimentary took took only took you to a maximum of a block away so it was only good for a lift to the sky train.. when it was there. I couldnt work out where it went for so long when you couldnt take it very far.

The rooftop pool was lovely and a good view. Pity ir closed at 7 so we couldn't stay up there and chill out after a long day.

Overall id definately try somewhere else next time. Im sure theres better for the money.

• Stayed February 2013