“Not as good as expected. ”
Review of Authors’ Lounge

Authors’ Lounge
Ranked #118 of 11,463 Restaurants in Bangkok
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Reservations
Neighborhood: Silom
Description: Under refurbishment and will reopen in December 2015
Reviewed August 20, 2013 via mobile

We came here because of the good reviews on Tripadvisor and seeing the photos on their website.

The service we received was sub par. We had three diffrent servers during the two hours. The first one who showed us to our table did not smile once. She was also very cold to other guests. The second one was nice and finally made me feel welcome. The third one was very cold as well. She was actually our server for the longest time but the only time she smiled at me was when I asked for the cheque. We weren't bad customers but they made us feel unwelcome and as if we were only there to cause them inconvenience.

The food was okay. It wasn't bad but did not come close to meeting our expectation. The food could be bought at your local deli for one third the price.

The dining room while not super beautiful, is quite pretty and photos well. I think that's mostly what we paid for given the sub par service and mediocre food.

Over all I did not think the experience was worth the price tag of about 1500 Baht per person. It is Thailand and you can find way better food at way more reasonable prices. Save your desire to dine in a pretty room for Europe.

3  Thank justinehsu

Reviewed August 11, 2013

We booked well in advance and the staff were very helpful when we we had a nightmare travel experience (seemingly a feature of Bangkok) and were over an hour late. We were still able to keep our reserved table and had excellent tea.

The food is generally quite nice, though not remarkable- I recommend the traditional tea set as is a little less hit and miss than the Thai. The lime sorbet is an experience!

The surroundings are really beautiful, though the piped music on loop rather than piano accompaniment was a shame for such a luxury price.

Reviewed July 26, 2013

Might be the best hotel in the world, the Author's lounge at MO Bangkok for a high afternoon tea. A traditional British Victoria style restaurant. One word only..... awesome.......the atmosphere is great, old English style, high class, traditional declaration. Worth and must to have a look. Really love it. Staff is good and friendly. Make sure a reservation as no go show is accept.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

I have attempted to get into Authors' Lounge on a number of occasions but it has always been booked out or in the hotel lobby. My suggestion is to book ahead. I was not staying at the hotel so I took the BTS and then the Mandarin Oriental boat from Central Pier. There is a dock specifically for hotels and it picks up every 15 minutes. The building that holds the Authors' Lounge is directly in front of the boat deck once at the hotel. On entry, you are immediately immersed into another era. I just loved it. Each set was B1350 ++ including a drink and the option of Traditional, Thai or Vegetarian High Tea. I had the local brew of tea which was very nice as well. The Traditional High Tea still had some minor quirks. The egg sandwich is a bright pink colour. A refreshing sorbet to clean the palate. My tea cup was consistently refilled by the attendents, the atmosphere was very relaxed. I am very pleased I was able to experience an old time oasis in a very modern city.

Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

Over priced mediocre (at best) food and supposedly the world's rarest tea served after ginger lime sorbet which will just scorch any any sensitivity out of your taste buds. Mind boggling. Just left me angry.

2  Thank kidstonecrusher

Been to Authors’ Lounge? Share your experiences!