“Small and cosy”

Ranked #4 of 1,157 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Perth
“Small and cosy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2014

Our room was very small, but cosy and clean. Hostel had a great feel. Staff were very helpful and helped us plan all of our transport and day trips. Breakfast supplied every morning. Location is fantastic. We were sad to leave!

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Norddeich, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

This Hostel is truely amazing!! I was here at my first time in Bangkok and came back at the end of my trip. I stayed in a dorm and private room, rooms and bathrooms are always super clean and the lockers in the rooms are big enough for a huge backpack. The owner is more than friendly, she knows everything about the city and helps you as much as she can. Also the 2nd time I came, she rememberd me by name. Breakfast is inklusive and really nice. The location is very good, it's close to the main street where you can find plenty of street food and the patpong night market is less than a 5min walk. It's just a 5min walk to the skytrain station and a bit more to the metro station. Very good location if you want to explorer the city.
The hostel has a nice place to relax and meet other people, I met so many people again from the stay before, everyone just loves this hostel.
It's the best hostel I've stayed so far (travelling for 11months now), specially if you arrive in bangkok for the first time.

Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 24, 2014

Stayed in a single private room early May for 2 nights. The owner was super friendly and attentive - very apologetic for the small size of the room (yes, it was small, but fine for one person). She printed off my Vietnam visa documents for free and arranged a taxi share to the airport for me. The breakfast was ok by Thai standards - no choice. Good location - 5 minutes walk to the train station and maybe 2 or 3 mins to Pat Pong markets. Would stay again.

1 Thank Natkats2001
Lisbon, Portugal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Hostel is ok, i stayed in a private room, no noise in there, but super hyper mega small.
The problem in this Hostel for me was the Owner, she seem's really nice, but she is not!! believe me, when i try to get her help to buy me a ticket to koh panang buy ferry, she try to scam me and take advantage of my situation, she wanted to sell me a ticket and a hotel stay in Surat thanin; and i said to her, can i catch the nightboat? and she said to me, it's not safe at all, i told her let me thing a bit, becouse i dont want to stay one night in Surat to catch the ferry in the morning, but if you are telling me this i have to think, after 2min she left and i was like waiting for 30min, i quit and i left the hostel and go by mysellf, this was a super RUDE atitude. Big surprise the night boat was super cheap i didn't have to stay and loose time in my trip, i meat amazing people on the pear and in the night boat and it was super cheap, in the end i discovered that she wanted to earn a lot of money with my trip, i don't understand why people act like this when they work in hospitality. Tripadviser is for cases like this!!! Remember that clients have the power and we can spread the word!

So if you want to stay in this hostel be sure you don't get ticket's in there for nothing.

2 Thank Gonçalo G
SmileSociety, Owner at Smile Society, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi Goncalo,

0. We agree Tripadvisor is good to share experience but a bias, misunderstanding or even a wierd review, is unfair to property. It should base on the fact of what really happen but not an imagination of writer. Writer should have responsibility to the review. This is not a public space to have personal emotional writing nor to show that reviewers didn't know anything about property on their style or house rules.

1. You are getting us wrong. We truly understand different background/experience brings to different perception. That’s why some are optimistic, some are pessimistic & can’t differentiate between good intention and lie.

2. In reply to yr question, there is no over night boat from BKK to Koh Pha-ngan. It is far and not safe. People mostly travel by over night train/bus & take boat in the morning. It is not waste your time but it is how you want to manage it. However, if you want to take risk & be adventure, you need to explore and take the risk by yourselves. We could not bring you to any danger for any amount of money. We never take advantage of situation or push any sale to our guests. In stead, we thoroughly choose the quality well-known companies on our list. Our advice base on what the best we know. We disclose all alternatives and at the end, it is open choice for their consideration & decision.

3. Our major concern is not money but guests’ safety and budget saving. We willingly accept your accusation because we concern your safety and budget.

Did you remember that we spent time made free calls to check any possibility/options and searched internet on your behalf? Did we told you that hotel offering in joint ticket package is not good and you better explore this when you arrived Surat Thani? Also, if you recalled, your booked a double room here. As we found you travel alone, we suggested you stay in single room to save your money at least THB 1,200! Oppositely, we’ve never thought we got less THB 1,200 from you!! (It’s matter of way of thinking!!!) You’re mature& could tell us if you didn’t like the room and want to pay more for bigger room as you booked. We hate to proof the truth, but we do have the evidence of your booking and your actual paid.

Pls note we are happy to be here and have helped many guests from scam, help them on their personal issues and also, help them save money for their trip.

4. After almost 1 hour discussion and you asked for time to make decision -we respect in that but pls do allow us to do something else, ie helping other guests, etc. We are never rude to guests as they know what Smile Society stands for. Some guests even said that we go extra mile to do the best ensuring our guest have a great stay here.

5. Your misunderstanding does discourage an honest person. You will never feel that if you aren’t him.

6. Lastly, we got a big lesson learned to show good intention to some kinds of people. Thank you.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was the first hostel I've ever stayed in so I had no idea what to expect. Staying at Smile Society definitely set the bar high. The facilities were excellent for a hostel - TV, two computers, shampoo/soap and breakfast were all provided.There was a cozy common room where it was easy to meet people. The dorms and toilets were very clean. The owner was so friendly and helpful and was always willing to help us out to ensure that we had a great stay. Will definitely be staying again in this hostel!

1 Thank Ahmed E
Buenos Aires, Argentina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

I just loved this Hostel!! Smile Society is the best combination of location (near bts), price, fun (but no noice) and is very very clean.Smile Society has everything you need to have a confortable and good time at Bangkok, free hi speed wi fi, home theatre, TV and the owner nows a lot of bangkok. She always advices you what pleaces to visit etc etc... I highly recommened it!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2014

I was really happy with my stay at Smile Society. It was very clean and the staff was so helpful. I had a million questions about where to go, what to see, and how to get there. They were always happy to help me out. Bee even upgraded me to a larger private room for free since my other one was a bit small. The breakfast was ok, but the atmosphere was great throughout the hostel.