“Watch out with the owner”
Review of Smile Society

Smile Society
Ranked #3 of 1,245 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Lisbon, Portugal
“Watch out with the owner”
Reviewed May 20, 2014

The Hostel is ok, i stayed in a private room, no noise in there, but super hyper mega small.
The problem in this Hostel for me was the Owner, she seem's really nice, but she is not!! believe me, when i try to get her help to buy me a ticket to koh panang buy ferry, she try to scam me and take advantage of my situation, she wanted to sell me a ticket and a hotel stay in Surat thanin; and i said to her, can i catch the nightboat? and she said to me, it's not safe at all, i told her let me thing a bit, becouse i dont want to stay one night in Surat to catch the ferry in the morning, but if you are telling me this i have to think, after 2min she left and i was like waiting for 30min, i quit and i left the hostel and go by mysellf, this was a super RUDE atitude. Big surprise the night boat was super cheap i didn't have to stay and loose time in my trip, i meat amazing people on the pear and in the night boat and it was super cheap, in the end i discovered that she wanted to earn a lot of money with my trip, i don't understand why people act like this when they work in hospitality. Tripadviser is for cases like this!!! Remember that clients have the power and we can spread the word!

So if you want to stay in this hostel be sure you don't get ticket's in there for nothing.

2 Thank Gonçalo G
SmileSociety, Owner at Smile Society, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Hi Goncalo,

0. We agree Tripadvisor is good to share experience but a bias, misunderstanding or even a wierd review, is unfair to property. It should base on the fact of what really happen but not an imagination of writer. Writer should have responsibility to the review. This is not a public space to have personal emotional writing nor to show that reviewers didn't know anything about property on their style or house rules.

1. You are getting us wrong. We truly understand different background/experience brings to different perception. That’s why some are optimistic, some are pessimistic & can’t differentiate between good intention and lie.

2. In reply to yr question, there is no over night boat from BKK to Koh Pha-ngan. It is far and not safe. People mostly travel by over night train/bus & take boat in the morning. It is not waste your time but it is how you want to manage it. However, if you want to take risk & be adventure, you need to explore and take the risk by yourselves. We could not bring you to any danger for any amount of money. We never take advantage of situation or push any sale to our guests. In stead, we thoroughly choose the quality well-known companies on our list. Our advice base on what the best we know. We disclose all alternatives and at the end, it is open choice for their consideration & decision.

3. Our major concern is not money but guests’ safety and budget saving. We willingly accept your accusation because we concern your safety and budget.

Did you remember that we spent time made free calls to check any possibility/options and searched internet on your behalf? Did we told you that hotel offering in joint ticket package is not good and you better explore this when you arrived Surat Thani? Also, if you recalled, your booked a double room here. As we found you travel alone, we suggested you stay in single room to save your money at least THB 1,200! Oppositely, we’ve never thought we got less THB 1,200 from you!! (It’s matter of way of thinking!!!) You’re mature& could tell us if you didn’t like the room and want to pay more for bigger room as you booked. We hate to proof the truth, but we do have the evidence of your booking and your actual paid.

Pls note we are happy to be here and have helped many guests from scam, help them on their personal issues and also, help them save money for their trip.

4. After almost 1 hour discussion and you asked for time to make decision -we respect in that but pls do allow us to do something else, ie helping other guests, etc. We are never rude to guests as they know what Smile Society stands for. Some guests even said that we go extra mile to do the best ensuring our guest have a great stay here.

5. Your misunderstanding does discourage an honest person. You will never feel that if you aren’t him.

6. Lastly, we got a big lesson learned to show good intention to some kinds of people. Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (74)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 20, 2014

This was the first hostel I've ever stayed in so I had no idea what to expect. Staying at Smile Society definitely set the bar high. The facilities were excellent for a hostel - TV, two computers, shampoo/soap and breakfast were all provided.There was a cozy common room where it was easy to meet people. The dorms and toilets were very clean. The owner was so friendly and helpful and was always willing to help us out to ensure that we had a great stay. Will definitely be staying again in this hostel!

1 Thank Ahmed E
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I just loved this Hostel!! Smile Society is the best combination of location (near bts), price, fun (but no noice) and is very very clean.Smile Society has everything you need to have a confortable and good time at Bangkok, free hi speed wi fi, home theatre, TV and the owner nows a lot of bangkok. She always advices you what pleaces to visit etc etc... I highly recommened it!!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends
Austin, Texas
Reviewed May 15, 2014

I was really happy with my stay at Smile Society. It was very clean and the staff was so helpful. I had a million questions about where to go, what to see, and how to get there. They were always happy to help me out. Bee even upgraded me to a larger private room for free since my other one was a bit small. The breakfast was ok, but the atmosphere was great throughout the hostel.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

I have been living in smile society from 8-10/5 in a female dorm. I have to say I have get a good experience there. Although there is no lift, it is great value to live.
1.Convienice location (near BTS and MRT and lots of food stalls).
2.Clean and comfortable living environment (both of the living rooms and common area).
3.Safe security system (guests have to use security card to enter the hostel).
4.Nice hosts, provides useful information for travel.
With this budget to have a good location

• Stayed May 2014
Jakarta, Indonesia
Reviewed May 12, 2014

me and friend have been stayed in smile society and we found this hostel is very convenience, close to MRT and BTS sky train station, night life, convenience store, food store, night market, massage and shop. Beside, the owner are friendly and helpful, they been providing us alot of useful information.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed May 11, 2014

The staff was very helpful and always willing to help. I admired the way she is eager to help me move around the city and to do stuffs. The room and bathroom were super clean. Will stay here again anytime I am in town.

Room Tip: Very good place to stay