“Great place to stay!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 1,131 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Hobart, Australia
“Great place to stay!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Lovely staff who were super helpful and they organised a taxi for us the next day. The rooms were very nice and shared bathroom was clean. Great breakfast the next day too. I would stay at smile society again. It was excellent!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Singapore
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 23, 2012

I had a good stay here. The 4-bed dorm I stayed was spacious and clean. The aircon was very powerful and is definitely a plus-factor for the hot and humid weather in Bangkok. The pillow and bedsheets felt clean. There is a sturdy locker with sufficient space to fit in my 60-litre backpack for each guest. Although the access-card door knob can be a little noisy at night, I actually quite like this additional safety feature.

On the 2nd level, there is a spacious cosy lounge with free WIFI.

The ladies running the place were very friendly and helpful. It seemed like they were always around to explain things to the guests.

On my day of departure, when I was walking out of the hostel, one of the lady receptionist (or owner, maybe) ran out of the main door to ask me if I thought there was anything they could improve. I was very impressed with their humble attitude!

Well, if I really need to pick a fault, maybe I would say the shared toilet condition can be improved a little. As there is no-shoe policy in the hostel, the wet floor of the toilet does feel sticky and weird at times to the feet. But really, as I don't spend a lot of time in the toilet, this did not really bother me. It may be good to provide some bathroom slippers for the guests though.

Overall, I enjoyed my stay here and I will be back here when I return to Bangkok.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank BackpackWarrior
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

Great way to meet other travellers. Comes with pretty attentive hosts. The location is prime, right in the financial district with a park 10 mins away. Patpong market, BTS, Metro. Street food is inexpensive and convenient if your into that kinda of thing. 15 mins cab ride to Khoa San Road in traffic. Very easily accessible from the airport by public transportation or a cab ride will cost you no more 500 Baht, if your paying more your getting schhcammed :)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

I've stayed here both times I've been to Bangkok and I love it!
The hostel is extremly clean, the dorm beds have awesome comfortable mattresses, big lockers, get cleaned every day too. Bathrooms are really cute and always clean, here I walk in completely comfortable barefoot, I normally don't like that in shared bathrooms.
And what makes the place really special are the owners! The people working here are super friendly, always help you, answer all your questions! They even packed me a bag with breakfast when I had to leave early in the morning :)
The location is very good, close to public transport so all the bus station, airport etc are easy to reach, sight seeing not too far either.
And if you like relaxing with a movie - they have a television room with a big flatscreen ;).
I will never have to look for a other please in Bangkok - I found the perfect one for me!
Totally recommend the smile society!

• Stayed December 2012
Geelong, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

We stayed at Smile Society for nearly a week as we used Bangkok as the centre with day trips to surrounding areas. It was our families first time travelling overseas, and the staff were so helpful in every way - directions, transport, bargaining, culture and customs, things to do, money, etc. It is in a quiet location down an alley way, but very close to great food and shopping, and public transport. Our room was cleaned daily, and free bottled water and breakfast made a good start to the day. It also has the best common room atmosphere for meeting travellers (probably because it has the best wifi), but it gave the whole hostel a good community atmosphere. And the swipe card security made it the safest hostel we stayed. Highly recommended!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

We stayed for two nights when we first arrived in Bangkok. The staff are extremely helpful and help you out with the cheapest ways of getting around the city. The rooms are clean and comfy beds and the free breakfast is good. We left by bus early in the morning and they gave us a pack up breakfast to take with us! The common area is good, with a movie room and a few movies. Because taxis find it difficult to find they give you written Thai directions which made things a lot easier! We liked it so much that we returned a couple weeks later for a couple nights before heading north and then were going back again before we fly out! Great place to stay if you do want the dirt and noise of khao san road!!

• Stayed November 2012
Berlin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2012

There was always a friendly and cozy atmosphere. The hostel and rooms were always clean and well cared for. Right at the corner is the next skytrain station. The Smile Society Team were very helpful and supportive at all times.

I can only recommend it!!

Best regards from Germany, Berlin