“A brilliant place to stay, especially if it is your first time in Bangkok.”
Review of Smile Society

Smile Society
Ranked #3 of 1,213 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
“A brilliant place to stay, especially if it is your first time in Bangkok.”
Reviewed October 28, 2011

Arrived tired and jetlagged, but very easy to get to thanks to the directions personally emailed to me by the owner. Not far from Sala Daeng skytrain station so very easy to reach from the airport. The owner is a legend, a bible of knowledge about bangkok and the best ways to see this fantastic city. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed October 2011

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (72)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Mainz, Germany
Reviewed October 24, 2011

The Smile Society is a very clean and cozy hostel in Silom. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful; they offer a service that exceeds regular hostel standards. Whenever we had a question about where to go in Bangkok or anywhere in Thailand, we received honest answers that helped us get around in the city. Everytime we stayed in Bangkok we came back to this hostel because we always felt welcome here. It is by far one of the cleanest places we have stayed at in Thailand. Thank you, Smile Society

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 11, 2011

To be completely honest I can't find any fault with this hostel, not that I want to because it's lovely. It's a 5 min walk from the sky rail which will take you pretty much anywhere in Bangkok, you're also not far from the river (couple of stops in the S.R) so we we able to catch the ferry to the big golden buddha, China town, etc.

The hostel is clean - beds, rooms, showers (soap and shampoo provided) toilets, communal areas (incl a nice tv room with massive screen), everywhere. The beds are also really comfy and the reading lights a nice touch.

Bea, who runs the hostel is the loveliest person you will meet. She is really friendly, helpful and dispenses some great advice on what to do and, perhaps more importantly, what to avoid (there's info at reception on scams to be aware of and general advice on how not to get ripped off in Bangkok. She even gave my friends advice on how best to negotiate the border crossing into Cambodia). Bea is always around, in fact, I'm not sure when she sleeps.

In my mind the hostel is very secure. There's a series of key pads and swipe cards to get through before you reach the communal areas and then the bedrooms.

Free internet and a good connection. Unforunately we missed breakfast in both mornings so I can't comment on the food.

All in all, I really enjoyed my stay there I would definitely return if I pass through Bangkok again.

Room Tip: Book early if you want to get a private room. Having said that, I stayed in a dorm and was perfectl...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed October 4, 2011

I walked into Smile Society with a big smile... This place is so cozy, so homely, so clean and comfortable. 1st look and I really fall in love with the place. Before arrival, I was actually still hesitating wether to go ahead and stay here or source for another place, cos review for another hostel near National Stadium skytrain has equally good review. I actually went down to take a look at the other hostel on my last day in Bangkok. I still prefer Smile Society after that. Not becos Smile is cheaper than there, but it also give me a very comfortable feel. Will surely stay there again if I go back to Bangkok. A 5* hostel, that's indeed true.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed September 30, 2011

location, amenities, cleanliness, staff, breakfast, wifi are all perfect! you don't have to ask for more in this lovely hostel!

Room Tip: book in advance as this property is always full
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
San Francisco
Reviewed September 30, 2011

This place is probably the best hostel I've stayed in in Bangkok. It's has a really cozy feel to it and the staff are extremely friendly. There's a restaurant downstairs with excellent and cheap food, plus a good variety too. Highly recommended..

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Budapest
Reviewed September 10, 2011

My boyfriend and I stayed a few days ago and the sisters made sure we were happy and comfortable the whole time. The hotel was very clean and the beds very comfortable! They booked our taxis for us, made us a lovely breakfast and were happy to answer any questions - which they did with a smile! Stay here without a doubt, lovely place to stay

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple