“The Smile Society is aptly named”
Review of Smile Society

Smile Society
Ranked #4 of 1,389 Specialty Lodging in Bangkok
Reviewed August 31, 2011

My wife and I spent three nights at the Smile Society and were thoroughly impressed by it.

The staff are very friendly and even took us and two other guests out for an evening tour of the old town - for no charge whatsoever.

The rooms are spacious and spotless, and the hotel is located in a bustling part of the city.

All in all, a beautiful paradise found in a rather seedy and notorious city.

Reviewed August 30, 2011

The Smile Society made us do just that. The room was excellent and included a four-poster bed, as well as digital tv that had over 100 channels. It was clean and the owners are very friendly and helpful. We were treated to a tour of historical landmarks at night in the owners' car which saved trying to navigate our way in the heat. The Smile Society has an excellent security swipe card system meaning the hotel feels 100% safe. I would recommend this place to anyone visiting Bangkok.

Reviewed August 26, 2011

This hostel was amazing!!! Super clean, just be sure to bring your own towel cause those aren't supplied. The free breakfast is always a bonus! It's a 5 min walk to the skytrain, so awesome location, plus there's a night market right along the main strip!

I needed to catch a 5am bus to Kanchanaburi and they were wonderful. They told me where I could buy my bus ticket without having to actually go to the station (which is unreachable via MRT/public transit, and you'd have to take a cab). They also called a cab to pick me up at the hostel for 4am the next morning and told him where I needed to go. Plus they packed me a breakfast - for my early morning bus ride! And they even lent me their cell phone to use as an alarm clock! Now who can beat that?!?! They were super friendly and really helpful. I'd recommend this hostel to anyone staying in Bangkok! Loved it.

Room Tip: My friend and I stayed in the 8 women dorm room, and we had it to ourselves the first night
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 25, 2011

This place has everything you'd want out of a bed in Bangkok. It's clean, has pretty admirable security, is near the subway system,Siam Square and plenty of food vendors, and has a helpful and friendly desk attendant.

The drawbacks are also what you'd expect in Bangkok; the area is a bit seedy with lots of offers for 'massage', etc. The hotel tries to push you towards expensive restaurants and bars that they must have some affiliation with, although overall this is done in a less aggressive way than usual.

Also, since this is a "hostel" there's dorm beds, which are quite expensive considering that it's Bangkok. I stayed in the private room which I would recommend. The dorms were 8 beds, and the same size as the private room; also no locks were provided so security in the dorm rooms is much less reliable than in the other rooms.

Overall, I'd stay again in a pinch. However, for the money you should be able to get something much nicer in Thailand.

Room Tip: Don't stay in the dorms
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
SmileSociety, General Manager at Smile Society, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2011

Front office staff always gets queries of where to eat, to visit or to go shopping. We have accountability for recommending interesting or well-known places to facilitate guest's convenience. It doesn't mean we have affiliate with those places. For dinning, we normally recommend restaurants nearby from food street shops till famous Thai restaurants that still open, to suit for those check in late at night. This is based on customer decision which we do not know what is their decision. In fact, our recommended famous restaurants are well known among tourists and from what we know, they have no need to give commission or rebate to any referral.
In addition, it is normal for backpacker guests staying in dorm to bring their own lock pad. This is more security of the key lock only held by them. We merely provide clean and big locker to facilitate their requirement. Moreover, for value personal belongings, we also provide safe deposit locker if guests request for with no charge.
Last but not least, it is our honor that you choosed to stay in our "hostel" while staying in resort and hotel in other countries. As you may know, most hostels and budget hotels do not provide as much of services, facilities or even size of room as those resorts and hotels; consequently, this is not comparable.

Reviewed August 17, 2011

The title of this place may make you think twice about staying here, but you won't be able to stop smiling once you arrive. The two women that look after the place are extremely welcoming and helpful, and will be able to answer any question you might have about getting around. They also volunteer advice on how to avoid scams.
The rooms are modest, with only bunk beds and lockable cupboards, but all the furnishings are modern and well kept, and it's what you might expect from a cheap hostel. The same goes for the toilets which are also kept clean and pleasant.
There is a decent common-room with a TV, two computers, Wi-Fi, football table, books, etc.
Overall, I was very impressed with this hostel and I can't emphasise enough how much of a difference it makes having such helpful staff. The prices are very reasonable and even a nice breakfast is included!

Reviewed June 28, 2011

nice rooms and very friendly staff! Good breakfast. We really enjoyed the stay that s why we are going back to stay a few more days.

• Stayed: June 2011
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed at smile society in June 2011 by myself for 2 nights. I was incredibly impressed with the hotel -- the service the owner provided, the cleanliness, safety and comfort the rooms provided, and the covenient location. I would definitely recommend it to friends and will stay there during my next visit to Bangkok. Thank you smile society!

• Stayed: June 2011