Lowest prices for your stay
Lock in the lowest price from these sites
$91
View deal
Agoda.com$98
Vio.com$98
eDreams$91
Etrip$98
StayForLong
All reviews rooftop bar the river grand palace and wat pho reclining buddha small balcony the ground floor deluxe room
Selected filters
Reviewed December 13, 2018

We chose this hotel for the view, as I guess most people do---it did not disappoint, the view is spectacular and almost surreal. We chose river view rooms and awake with the view still large as life---wonderful. However, this hotel is very close to The Grand Palace and as such it has clearly become a place where the staff don't need to try at all to get customers. The welcome to the hotel was chaotic, the breakfast was unimaginative, the roof bar and restaurant were really overpriced but no more that you would expect for an hotel smack bang in the middle of a city tourist district.

The bar was a bit noisy but not especially so, there was no sign of rats (see previous reviews) but the whole place felt very much about the money and not about the usual Thai welcome and beautiful people

So in summary, a beautiful hotel that feels and looks unloved. A magical view but no Thai hospitality

Date of stay: November 2018
4  Thank JaneR0101
Reviewed December 9, 2018

Unfortunately I have to write this review in order to put expectations right when someone books this hotel.
We paid appr. 80 GBP (about 100 US dollars) per night (inclusive breakfast).
It is not a 4 star hotel, rather 3 stars.
Management need to invest in renovating the entire interior as it is old and in places tatty.
Room service is also not available. When it rains in Bangkok there is no shelter on the balcony as it rains through the top on our balcony. (3rd floor). The room is much older than it looks on the pictures. And also they don't have the suite which you can see on the pictures as I have tried to book it.
Breakfast is very basic.
No hand soap in the bathroom and loose fittings.
It seems like management just take the profits and don't reinvest in the property. Not good.
We cannot complain about the noise from the river as we are heavy sleepers, but if someone is a light sleeper I would refrain from staying here.
On a positive note, the staff is absolutely wonderful and helpful. Management is very very lucky to have staff like that. Without them it would be a disaster to be honest.
I am very sorry to have written this but I would have moved out if we were staying longer in Bangkok. (we only stayed for 3 days).

Date of stay: December 2018
3  Thank AndreaL911
ArunResidenceGroup, Front Office Manager at Sala Arun, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2018

We are grateful for your input and certainly will look to improve our accommodation for satisfy of our customer.

Management Team

Reviewed November 26, 2018

I normally don’t leave bad reviews. I’m well aware that not everything is going to be perfect 100% of the time and I’m not one to let a couple of little things ruin my experience. That said, as much as I tried to see the silver linings at Sala Arun, at the end of the day I simply cannot recommend this hotel.

My wife and I booked a 3 night stay at Sala Arun at the beginning of our two week trip in Thailand. We arrived after more than 24 hours of door to door travel and were pleasantly surprised that our room was ready, despite us arriving a couple hours before check in.

Upon walking up the stairs to our room, we immediately noticed a damp, musty smell. Not a big deal, but something we took a mental note of. We had a room on an upper floor that faced Wat Arun. The view from the room and balcony was absolutely breathtaking but it is simply not enough to make up for what was to come.

After getting settled in we went out to explore the neighborhood and get some food. We eventually made it back and, jet lagged, decided we would take it easy and go to bed around 8:30 PM. Shortly after falling asleep, we were awakened by loud noise on the river. As it turns out, there are throngs of party boats and river cruises that pass by blasting music from around 9:00 PM to 1:00 AM. The noise was so loud that we could hear it through our ear plugs. There was also a lot of loud noise from people going up and down the stairs through the night to access the rooftop bar. Despite all the noise we were eventually we were able to go back to sleep. However, I woke up very early to find a cockroach in the bathroom.

This experience continued during our second night with more loud boats, load people going up to the bar and unfortunately, another roach in the bathroom. At this point we were so frustrated that we nearly left in the middle of the night. However, we decided that it would not be worth the effort and we would stick it out.

Our final night was slightly better. We still had loud boats passing by at all hours but we did not find any roaches. Needless to say we were glad to pack up and move on the next day.

I quite frankly am not sure how this hotel is so highly regarded. Yes, the view and location are both amazing but between the noise and the roaches it was nearly impossible to get any kind of meaningful rest. There are so many excellent hotels at this price point in the city that I cannot recommend Sala Arun, especially to those who are looking for a place to relax and rejuvenate a bit after a long day of travel. If you take the view away, the experience is more akin to a budget hostel as opposed to a boutique hotel.

Despite our poor experience, I do want to take a moment to acknowledge the staff. Everyone from the front desk staff to the cleaning staff and the servers at breakfast was very hard working and attentive. They were friendly and were sincerely trying very hard to help us make the most out of our experience. The staff were truly wonderful but the issues we experienced need to be addressed by the management and the hotel owners. If they could take care of the pests and do a bit better job of soundproofing the rooms (tightly sealed doors and double pane windows would help) this would truly be a hotel worthy of its price point.

Room tip: Rooms on the river side have a good view but they are noisy. I would avoid this side of the hotel.
Date of stay: November 2018
3  Thank 536ianac

We are grateful for your input and certainly will look to improve both the noise and pest control.

Management Team

Reviewed October 28, 2018 via mobile

Perfect location to stay in Bangkok
Grand Palace within walking distance as many other sights
Well worth paying for a room overlooking the River
We enjoyed drinks up on the roof top especially at night.
We enjoyed the breakfast (included)
Staff extremely helpful. Helped us make copies of some information we had lost also set up our taxi for a very early morning pick up for airport
We had read that the hotel was a little difficult to find, but our taxi driver had no problem. He drove us right to door

Date of stay: October 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank killay2015
Reviewed September 17, 2018 via mobile

I would definitely recommend this accomodation when staying in Bangkok. The view from my room could not get any better. Looks over the water to Wat Arun. The location is close to the ferry to access Wat Arun temple, walking distance to the Grand Palace and a short taxi ride to Khao San Rd. I also checked out Siam square and Lumphini Park while I stayed there, which was about 20mins away by taxi. The restaurant and rooftop bar are excellent quality with unbeatable views. The staff were great, I arrived early and could store my bags while I went and explored. John was working at the front desk, he spoke good English and gave me some tips on how to enjoy my first visit to Bangkok.

Date of stay: September 2018